Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions on Summon for my garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am picking up my 2015 85D CPO with AP 1.0 in a week and I am really excited about the summon feature as I cannot open up the passenger side doors due to an extension ladder being stored there. Attached is a picture of my garage and I am curious to hear thoughts on how well people think that it will work given the tightness of my garage. I made sure to clear out the front of my garage. About 10 feet outside my garage on the other side of the driveway is my wife's car which you cannot see pictured.

Attachments

• IMG_0287.JPG
    IMG_0287.JPG
    481.7 KB · Views: 177
Congrats on the new car! One issue you might run into is the difference in space between the sides might make the car want to turn to try to avoid the tightness of the one side. It happens in my garage where I have a lot of obstructions on the left and empty space on the right because it's a 2 car garage. When I try to summon in on the left side, it veers to the right because of the difference and then ends up parking diagonally in the garage. From your picture you have a hard wall on the left and some obstructions on the right. It may or may not pull in perfectly straight. You'll be able to experiment with it though and if you see it pulling to the right, you might need to add some barriers to keep it straight. I would set it up first to only summon with active key press so you can disable it quickly if you see it doing something bad. Once you are confident, you can then enable the setting to summon with a single key press or from the display.

I think it should work. It looks pretty tight, but not quite as bad as mine. When I park heading into my narrow garage I can't exit on the driver's side. So I'll line it up reasonably straight, get the nose over the threshold, double-tap Park, and get out of the car. I always have the remote handy and I watch it like a hawk in case it gets in trouble. I still don't quite trust it, but it hasn't scraped or bumped anything yet.

I'd read the manual section on Summon carefully: in my copy it starts on p81. You might also want to practice using summon in a clear area, just to get used to it.

Thanks! I really hate that extension ladder on the right, but I have no where to store that monster ladder (Besides outside which is generally a bad idea). I used to have the ladder on my driver's side up until a week ago, but I got so sick of trying to avoid it when getting out of my current car, I moved it to the passenger side which is rarely used.

On the left is a hard wall with some stuff like golf clubs, kids scooters hanging on a hook higher.

I used to have the ladder on my driver's side up until a week ago, but I got so sick of trying to avoid it when getting out of my current car, I moved it to the passenger side which is rarely used.
I cannot see into your garage but why not get two big ladder hooks and hang it on the wall. It could either be on either side wall or the far wall. I have a 32 foot ladder and that is what we do. We have a big support beam about 6 feet into the rear wall and the ladder is hung on that. You could even get hooks that screw into the ceiling joists if there was no place on the walls.

Reactions: int32_t
I am picking up my 2015 85D CPO with AP 1.0 in a week and I am really excited about the summon feature as I cannot open up the passenger side doors due to an extension ladder being stored there. Attached is a picture of my garage and I am curious to hear thoughts on how well people think that it will work given the tightness of my garage. I made sure to clear out the front of my garage. About 10 feet outside my garage on the other side of the driveway is my wife's car which you cannot see pictured.
I can't tell from your photo exactly but my garage is probably similar to yours, at least as far as the opening goes. I probably have a little more room width-wise on the inside (and no scary looking extension ladder in mine!). Here are some numbers that may help you:

My garage door opening is 93" wide - Summon can safely pull my Model S in and out through an opening that wide.
(BTW, with that width opening, I have about 3.5" clearance max on each side with the car's mirrors extended; a little under 8" per side clearance with the mirrors folded in)

However, I don't use summon because the internal LENGTH of my garage is also quite short. Summon will only pull the car as close as 8" to the front wall (configurable in settings, but 8" is the min). To safely fit inside my garage and be able to close the garage door and open the trunk, I need to park with the front bumper practically touching the wall. I think I have a total of 9" clearance combined front to back to fit in lengthwise. So Summon is useless in my case, I'd have to manually pull the car in closer each time anyhow.

so you might also want to check the length of your garage, if that dimension is tight.

Reactions: wesley888
I cannot see into your garage but why not get two big ladder hooks and hang it on the wall. It could either be on either side wall or the far wall. I have a 32 foot ladder and that is what we do. We have a big support beam about 6 feet into the rear wall and the ladder is hung on that. You could even get hooks that screw into the ceiling joists if there was no place on the walls.

I actually have hooks on that wall into my studs which is where my golf clubs and other stuf hang. Unfortunately, I have a gas pipe and my sprinkler lines on that wall also, so I can't hang a 16 foot ladder there easily. I actually might be able to attach it to ceiling in one spot with hooks coming from ceiling.

I can't tell from your photo exactly but my garage is probably similar to yours, at least as far as the opening goes. I probably have a little more room width-wise on the inside (and no scary looking extension ladder in mine!). Here are some numbers that may help you:

My garage door opening is 93" wide - Summon can safely pull my Model S in and out through an opening that wide.
(BTW, with that width opening, I have about 3.5" clearance max on each side with the car's mirrors extended; a little under 8" per side clearance with the mirrors folded in)

However, I don't use summon because the internal LENGTH of my garage is also quite short. Summon will only pull the car as close as 8" to the front wall (configurable in settings, but 8" is the min). To safely fit inside my garage and be able to close the garage door and open the trunk, I need to park with the front bumper practically touching the wall. I think I have a total of 9" clearance combined front to back to fit in lengthwise. So Summon is useless in my case, I'd have to manually pull the car in closer each time anyhow.

so you might also want to check the length of your garage, if that dimension is tight.

Thanks. I just checked and I have more length than you, so I should be good there. I have roughly 2 feet of a gap between my front bumper and wall. My garage opening is 96" wide and I have about 1.5-2 feet clearance from doors. I think I will be ok based on what you are saying.

Thanks. I just checked and I have more length than you, so I should be good there. I have roughly 2 feet of a gap between my front bumper and wall. My garage opening is 96" wide and I have about 1.5-2 feet clearance from doors. I think I will be ok based on what you are saying.
yes, based on those numbers and comparing to mine you should be fine

• Love
Reactions: mbhforum

I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner! Thx for the idea. Took me all of 10 minutes. I assume this won't become a barrier for the Tesla?

Attachments

• 50621003249__51CD7A5D-D86A-4363-AB15-E0A052C52A93.JPG
    50621003249__51CD7A5D-D86A-4363-AB15-E0A052C52A93.JPG
    310.6 KB · Views: 125
This is my AP1 loaner from about a year ago--I don't think you'll have any problems...

My garage is very similar in width, and summon will not work. it starts to backup or pull in then the too close chimes start and then its done. i have given up and park it myself. Very bummed it wont do it as the entrance is a bit tight, but once in it has room...I also have a 1/2 inch curb at the start of the entrance;. it doesn't like it either...

Sounds like exactly how much space I have in my garage. :) Summon will pull the car as close as 8"? The radar display stops at about 12-15"? And it could continue up to 8"? I have a AP2 car and don't have summon yet. I'm just very curious.

Sounds like exactly how much space I have in my garage. :) Summon will pull the car as close as 8"? The radar display stops at about 12-15"? And it could continue up to 8"? I have a AP2 car and don't have summon yet. I'm just very curious.
Correct, there's a setting in Driver Assistance > Summon > Customize for "Bumper Clearance"
The minimum setting is 8" / 20cm - presumably a limitation of the ultrasonic parking sensors (btw, ultrasonic sensors, not "radar"). In order for Summon to be useful in my garage I'd need to be able to set it to 2cm or less!

From the Owners Manual:
"Bumper Clearance: Set the distance that you want Summon to stop from a detected object.
For example, you may want Summon to stop within just a few inches of the garage wall. This
distance applies only to objects detected directly in front of (when moving forward) or behind
(when reversing) Model S."

• Informative
Reactions: wesley888