Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opportunity Console - New Photos, Poll

This is how I'd like my Model S configured

• No console, keep it open

Votes: 84 14.3%
  • Somewhere for bits and bobs

Votes: 343 58.2%
  • My phone needs a home

Votes: 303 51.4%
  • Give me somewhere for the 'big-gulp'

Votes: 158 26.8%
  • Forget seat 5, give me more in the back

Votes: 110 18.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[*]One really nice thing about the cradle is that whenever I'm in the car, my phone is plugged in and charging. With power hungry devices, this really helps you get through the day. I don't have to fuss around with a cable. I just slide the phone into the cradle. Done. Therefore, I greatly prefer the idea of a cradle to a simple USB jack that will require fussing with a cable.
[/list]

Yes. Although I added it with double-sided tape and the phone blocks the view on my gear buttons when it's in the cradle, I love how I can hop in my Roadster and slid my phone into the cradle in a few seconds. I would like the same thing for the Model S.

Feeback on the options shown:
  • I would certainly appreciate the litle shelf under the display. Better if it had a cover for those folks who might want to leave something in it.
  • Personally, I prefer to have my phone where I can see it in case it rings (so I can see the Caller ID), so the proposed location for the phone holder isn't very good for me.

If your phone is only a few years old, and you connect via bluetooth, you should be able to see your caller ID on the screen (or perhaps the gauge cluster display), so you wouldn't need to look down to check out who is calling you. Perhaps that will help??

The covering around the structural bar is larger on the test drive cars than it is on the Beta cars, due to the rollers for the sunshade. And like I said, it's black while the rest of the headliner is light colored, so it really stands out.

Since I'm getting Performance with CF, I may take to wrapping it with CF vinyl. But, I'd rather delete the sunshade and have a smaller bar.

This idea is really making me consider the CF over others strictly so that I can wrap the beam! What a great idea. I guess, alternatively, piano black so that they kinda match already...

At my test drive today in LA I specifically requested a car with the cup holder prototype option #3. Unfortunately they could not oblige. They were on a time line and there was only limited flexibility in which car you got. My car did have option #1, shelf under the display, however, and I was nonetheless able to determine something quite significant about the proposed cup holder option#3:

It is not sensible to install both option #1 (shelf) and option #3 (cup holders) concurrently. There is not enough space under the shelf for a standard 10" water bottle to sit in the cup holders. You could squeeze a a smaller 8 1/2" water bottle under there but it would be tight. A coffee cup or soda can would fit but the space restricts your beverage container height to only such smaller containers. But as long as you don't also include the shelf, option #3 cup holders do indeed seem to be in a viable location. They do not seem too far to reach and they retain the open space for purse, briefcase, etc. Here are pictures of a standard 10" water bottle showing why you wouldn't want to install both options #1 (shelf) and #3 (cup holders) together:

water bottle 1.jpg
water bottle 2.jpg

It was also extremely clear that the current cup holders have a number of limitations. (That is kinder than saying they are useless.) The size of those cup holders will only accommodate cups with limited diameter. The 10" water bottle in the pictures did not come close to fitting. And, as is well known, you cannot use the current cup holders and the arm rests concurrently which is a major limitation.

My impression remains that there should be an option in which the current cup holders are moved so people can simultaneously use both the armrests and cup holders (wherever they are placed) and in which the current cup holder area is converted to a rectangular storage compartment (with or without USB plug). In fact in the car I drove they were using the cup holders as storage already--there was loose change in them!

In an ideal world Tesla would reconfigure the electronics and ducts under the arm rests and create ample storage there where everyone expects it. My guest kept trying to pull the arm rests up to see the storage underneath. I had to point out that there wasn't any. But assuming Tesla cannot get to a full revamp under the arm rests till version 2.0 the current cup holder area is still available to them for a small storage bin.

If Tesla makes it an option, where should the cup holders be relocated? Option #3 is very viable, easy and inexpensive, but you should avoid concurrently installing option #1 shelf unless you only plan to use short, small beverage containers. Option #1 shelf could be used concurrently with flip downs or pop outs on the front of the arm rest module as others have proposed. These would need to jut out far enough for beverage containers to get past the slope of the front of the arm rest module and we don't know how much space Tesla has within that module for pop outs to recess which may be constraints. Pop outs under option #1 shelf could also be an inexpensive and easy solution but the problem of taller containers obstructing the lower portion of the display would need to be addressed.

After my impressions today here are two revised minimalist, open space option proposals at the opposite end of the spectrum to Soflauthor's fabulous larger console option for consideration:

Minimalist #1
a) Add option #3 cup holders, but make sure they accommodate multiple diameter beverage containers
b) Remold current cup holder area as a rectangular storage bin with a USB port or phone dock

Minimalist #2
1) Add option #1 shelf, but with door, lid or cover to create closed storage
2) Add pop out or flip down cup holders at the front of the arm rests or pop outs under the shelf if display not obstructed
3) Remold current cup holder area as a rectangular storage bin with a USB port or phone dock

Last edited:
How much purse/bag space would be left if a molded cup holder were installed right where you had your water bottle in the photos? I'm imagining a little unit with some closed storage directly under the shelf, and then cup holders where your bottle is. Seems like that would move the holders closer to the occupants, and if it leaves enough space to put a purse/bag, then it could be nice.

If your phone is only a few years old, and you connect via bluetooth, you should be able to see your caller ID on the screen (or perhaps the gauge cluster display), so you wouldn't need to look down to check out who is calling you. Perhaps that will help??

Yes, that might work. I don't know. If the integration is really really good, then it may be perfectly fine. With my current Bluetooth setup in my car, it takes a few seconds for the Caller ID to display on the stereo, and it's far quicker to just glance at the screen of the phone, which is mounted right next to the stereo anyway. I also occasionally have to poke something on the phone screen. For example, because the RAV4 is noisy, I often use a Bluetooth headset, and since my car also has BT, I occasionally have to poke a button on the iPhone to select the correct Bluetooth device.

Long story short, I would prefer to have the phone where it's visible and accessible. It might not be necessary, but if I do need to get to it, I don't want to be groping around for it or having to look down to the floor.

If it's someone in your contact list though or who doesn't block their number, it would appear on the 17" screen instead of you having to look at your phone.

So does that mean that if somebody is not in my contact info, I don't even see the number displayed?

One of the things I like about the iPhone is that it does area code lookup. So, I may see just a number, but it says something like "Houston, TX", and I at least have some idea. So, there's an example of why it would be nice to have the phone's display within easy glancing territory.

So does that mean that if somebody is not in my contact info, I don't even see the number displayed?

One of the things I like about the iPhone is that it does area code lookup. So, I may see just a number, but it says something like "Houston, TX", and I at least have some idea. So, there's an example of why it would be nice to have the phone's display within easy glancing territory.

It may display it, but that is unknown. One thing for certain, if it displays the number, at a minimum you at least get to see the area code, so you have some idea at least. If they are in your list of contacts, they have some relative importance to you, so you see their name, maybe even a photo of the person. Many people put the photos of their closest contacts (spouse, children, close friends) so that is great if I can tell at a glance of a picture.

Back on the topic of consoles, the non-performance Sunset Red vehicle I test drove in LA today had both a rubberized open console shelf under the display screen as well as a leather-covered armrest with cup holders between the driver and passenger seats. I really liked the open cubby shelf which I would use to store my wallet, sunglasses and phone. I also liked the armrest, since it was comfortable and slid forward to hide the cup holders when not in use. It would be even more functional if it popped open to store and connect my iPhone via USB, like the BMW 535i.

For those of us that live by the "place for everything and everthing in its place " philosophy, Tesla's present offering does little more then line the "negative vaccum" with the dash materials, it does nothing for compartmentalized storage...!? The concern her is not cosmetic, its functional. "Out of sight, out of mind" does wonders in discouraging would be thieves and vandals. The overwhelming majority of reservation holders participating in these forum have requested that some form of enclosed storage console be made available as an option, some going as far to say that they would take on the task themselves if need be. It would be unfortunate if looky-loo's (Potential Customers) beleived that some Tesla S owners poor attempt at a center console was factory delivered....then again , it may have come from Walmart. I recognize that Tesla is trying to make a point, but at what and whose expense? Furthermore, in the same way that my shirt sleeves and coat cuffs do not belong in my coffee, I for one, don't beleive that cupholders belong in the arm rests. Ideally they should be in a pop out cupholder in plain view and easily accessible with minimum reach.

it sort of baffles me that Tesla has nailed the hardest part of the Model S, drivetrain, engine, styling, handling, etc. Yet when it comes to the minor details, they totally fell asleep. We have 10" or so vertical height that normal cars have an gear shifter, parking brake, cup holders, and armrest storage and armrests all in that space. Yet we have a floor that's trimmed and some leather bolsters on the side. Huh? I'm also wondering what the heck is under the armrest console that's a foot high that only has vents out the rear, 12v outlet and 2 usb ports. Someone mentioned electronics, but why do you need that much space for "electronics" in the center of the car? I digress...

Why not just raise the console floor by a mere 3" to put a shallow console. Keep the leather bolsters raised above this "console" so you can still put your purse, man-bag, or other items on top.

Below the screen put a small hinged door or sliding door that slides forward underneath the console for eyeglasses or small change storage, then cut out a couple of large holes for cup holders (cut front to back and not side to side, and finally a kleenex box sized rectangle area for concealed storage.

Better yet, take everyday items and ask your designers where in the world would you put them in an Model S.

1- Sunglasses
2- Phone
3- Wallet, keyfob, parking access cards
4- Excedrin, Advil bottle
5- chapstick, small bottle of lotion or sunscreen
6- Kleenex, napkins
7- pen / pencil
8- Coins, still needed for tollroads and parking meters
9- trash, eg used kleenex and napkins
10 - microfiber towel to constantly wipe off the touchscreen
11 - USB extension cable since there are no ports behind the console for rear seat passengers.

In it's current form, I'm going to have use a small gear bag from 511 tactical and just store all my stuff in there and leave it in the behind my seat which should blend in with the black interior.

I love the way the car drives that I am willing to overlook the storage issues. But other buyers may not be as tolerant.

For those of us that live by the "place for everything and everthing in its place " philosophy, Tesla's present offering does little more then line the "negative vaccum" with the dash materials, it does nothing for compartmentalized storage...!? The concern her is not cosmetic, its functional. "Out of sight, out of mind" does wonders in discouraging would be thieves and vandals. The overwhelming majority of reservation holders participating in these forum have requested that some form of enclosed storage console be made available as an option, some going as far to say that they would take on the task themselves if need be. It would be unfortunate if looky-loo's (Potential Customers) beleived that some Tesla S owners poor attempt at a center console was factory delivered....then again , it may have come from Walmart. I recognize that Tesla is trying to make a point, but at what and whose expense? Furthermore, in the same way that my shirt sleeves and coat cuffs do not belong in my coffee, I for one, don't beleive that cupholders belong in the arm rests. Ideally they should be in a pop out cupholder in plain view and easily accessible with minimum reach.
I am one of the people who have "tasked themselves" with the job of designing a center console insert (CCI), and I do worry that my design will be a "poor attempt" or "Walmartish." [I've learned to be pretty objective about my design work and if I get a "poor attempt" vibe, I'll throw in the towel -- promise]. But I'm forging ahead for now. Over the weekend, I stopped by my local Tesla store and took some rudimentary dimensions for a beta center console channel -- recognizing full-well that things might change significantly when the product cars are introduced.

I then fired up my long dormant CAD software (it's amazing how quickly you forget how to use some apps) and created a much-refined engineering drawing of the sketch I presented way back in post # 126. By the way, the sketch was way off, in that the existing channels flare outward significantly as they approach the display end and are asymmetric (a surprise) at the display end. For those with interest, the entire CCI will be about 21 inches long, and 8 inches wide at the existing tower end and 12 inches wide at the display end. It will be 6" high at the tower and will contain edge top walls that fit a concave smooth spline curve that will terminate at the display at approx. 7 inches high -- very low profile, but not the three inches that @skokunin recommends in post #256. The top of the CCI will be flat and set about 3/4" nominal below the splined edge walls. Three compartments remain, although the center storage area has been redesigned and now has new dimensions at 10.0"L x 5.5" W x 5" D. The center storage area is itself modular and will accommodate cupholders with their own cover, storage with its own flip-top, and a few other optional surprises.

Next up, a pre-prototype (demonstration of concept). I'm stopping by my local hobby store/Home Depot and buying some modeling foam tomorrow. I'll then use my refined drawings as a baseline to craft a full-size foam model over the next few weeks. If it comes out well (it might not), I'll post some pics for those who might have interest in a hopefully non-walmart solution.

I'm still hopeful that TM will do the right thing and produce a CCI that is meaningful. But I'm having fun with this little project, and already believe that my CCI can be fabricated to look really good and serve an important interior function. Stay tuned.