Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opportunity Console - New Photos, Poll

This is how I'd like my Model S configured

• No console, keep it open

Votes: 84 14.3%
  • Somewhere for bits and bobs

Votes: 343 58.2%
  • My phone needs a home

Votes: 303 51.4%
  • Give me somewhere for the 'big-gulp'

Votes: 158 26.8%
  • Forget seat 5, give me more in the back

Votes: 110 18.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am surprised by the number of people in this thread who seem to be trying to actively discourage the inclusion of a completely optional piece that would make a large number of customers happy.

I'm not discouraging, just pointing and giggling.

Any person buying this car is making a pretty strong statement that they are ready and willing to try something new. There's lots new tech to deal with. It's just strange that it's the console that seems to be twisting many folks' melons.

Try living with it for a while. Try something different. You never know, you might like it.

FWIW, the Prius has one of those cubbyholes under the audio system with a cover. I've yet to put anything in it because I could never figure out what to put in it. There is a nice clear space on the floor (unfortunately eliminated in 2010+) to put things, and covered storage under the arm rest that I use all the time. I also use the door pockets and the large glove compartment. There needs to be covered storage so that you car doesn't look cluttered, and so that it looks "empty" to opportunity thieves. Minimalist is good, but minimalist != bare.

You could say that so many people insisted that Tesla include a sunshade with the pano roof, and that's why they added one, but that's now ruined the panoramic effect for all of us. This center console is looking to be the same mass design failure, IMHO.

I didn't realize that's what the bar was (just read up on it but having problems finding a good picture/demo of the manual sunshade); I thought the bar was structural and/or part of the mechanics of having a roof. I guess I'm unclear on just how this works; something else to look at in the test drive--I hope the one I drive has a pano roof. ;-)

For those that want to put their "purse/bag" in the open space I would argue that that is YOUR center console in that it is where you store "your stuff." I carry neither and need a place for my stuff. I don't a lot of storage but I took a brief look at what I currently store in my Infiniti g35 console; iPhone, coin storage container (old film canister), a small packet of Kleenex, parking lot key card, tire gauge, one pen, sunglasses, reading glasses, auto registration, proof of insurance, copy of driver's license, one comb, and one parking lot permit that hangs from the rear view mirror. All together they don't occupy a lot of space, but I need some space. Otherwise I foresee too many of these things sitting on the passenger seat and cluttering up the minimalist look that may have been intended. The best of all worlds is the option to add a console of varying size that best suits each persons needs. Just don't make it a $1500 add on.

I didn't realize that's what the bar was (just read up on it but having problems finding a good picture/demo of the manual sunshade); I thought the bar was structural and/or part of the mechanics of having a roof. I guess I'm unclear on just how this works; something else to look at in the test drive--I hope the one I drive has a pano roof. ;-)

It's structural and hasn't changed since the betas as far as I can tell.

I overlooked the fact that the seats have a front pocket. That'll be a fine place for my keys, wallet, keycard, and possibly phone when I don't need to charge it.

Personally, I'd prefer to see the existing cup holder/armrest turn into a a armrest with a flip-top or slide and flip storage console. Move the cup holders to a pull-out design under the front dash cubby, or put it above the 12v outlet and under the new armrest & storage console. This way it's still open and concealed, but those who need cup holders can pull them out as needed.

While I'm redesigning the existing armrest console, why not put a pull out cup holder under the existing vents for the rear seat passengers?

Personally, I'd prefer to see the existing cup holder/armrest turn into a a armrest with a flip-top or slide and flip storage console. Move the cup holders to a pull-out design under the front dash cubby,

This would be perfect! Because for now there's two problems with the cupholders. You likely can't actually place two large cups in the two cupholders at the same time because they're too close to one another. And more importantly, when you use the cup holder it appears it would render the center console as an armrest useless. That's no bueno. If they were to use the center armrest area for storage underneath and move the cup-holders up front as pop-out holders as you suggest, it solves 3 issues at once; creates concealable storage, useable cup holders, and useable armrests that aren't interfered on by cups. And best yet, it even doesn't sacrifice the existing open track design that gives the Model S its unique center look.

Personally, I'd prefer to see the existing cup holder/armrest turn into a a armrest with a flip-top or slide and flip storage console.

That's the best solution of all for storage and a great idea! Probably everyone would like to see storage under the arm rests. Unfortunately I got the reply from Stephen Smith of Tesla when I specifically emailed him about it a month or so ago that there are electronics under the armrests preventing Tesla from putting storage there and that there were therefore no plans to do so. There is the current cup holder space, however, and at least that much room under the arm rests could be converted to a similarly sized rectangular concealed storage cubby if they would move the cup holders. A USB port placed in that cubby makes it a lovely spot for a phone too. The problem is where to move the cup holders.

Move the cup holders to a pull-out design under the front dash cubby

The idea of pop outs under the proposed shelf below the 17" display sounds great but it seems beverages might get in the way of the lower part of the display. What do you think? For those of us wishing to retain most of the open space, Telsa's proposed option #3 is also an alternative spot for cup holders as are pop outs on the front of the current arm rest/cup holder module. Other posts have indicated that pop outs often get gunked up or fail though. Option #3 may therefore be the best compromise for those of us wishing to retaining the open space and get those cup holders moved too. I'll specifically ask to test drive a car with those proposed cup holders tomorrow and drive with a water bottle in them to see if they really work and are not too far to reach.

As someone else pointed out, the pop-outs are not particularly sturdy and will likely break within the first year. I'm fine with the "remove the current cup holders and add a small storage space". Then have flip-up cup holders in front of that (the ones in the Prius work great). There would still be plenty of room for purses and bags.

The problem with the glove compartment is that it's not convenient for the driver to reach. That's a mighty big stretch in a wide car like the Model S. The glove compartment is for things like logbooks, registration and insurance, etc. that are seldom accessed.

I don't a lot of storage but I took a brief look at what I currently store in my Infiniti g35 console; iPhone, coin storage container (old film canister), a small packet of Kleenex, parking lot key card, tire gauge, one pen, sunglasses, reading glasses, auto registration, proof of insurance, copy of driver's license, one comb, and one parking lot permit that hangs from the rear view mirror. All together they don't occupy a lot of space, but I need some space.

Sure the hang tag and your phone wouldn't be well stored in the glove compartment but everything else should be fine there!

Otherwise I foresee too many of these things sitting on the passenger seat and cluttering up the minimalist look that may have been intended. The best of all worlds is the option to add a console of varying size that best suits each persons needs. Just don't make it a $1500 add on.

Welcome to us putting a bag on the passenger seat. I don't regularly carry a bag around. I do on occasion when I need too. I currently put it in the back seat.

But really everything I have in my console could fit into my glove compartment (I would have to remove about a thousand napkins but they would all easily fit). The only things I need storage for that are accessible while driving are sunglasses (already in a case), my RFID access cards (gates at work to drive in), and probably some chap-stick for the winter months. Phone stays in my pocket, as I don't use it at all while driving.

Just because you have a console now (even if you use it) doesn't mean you need a console in the S. Just like an ICE you need now, you won't need when you get the Model S. I think a lot of what is going on is people think they need a center console. When in reality you really don't interact with much while driving. Granted I am sure there are people who genuinely need a center console, I just think it is around 10% versus 70% of the people buying this car.

Just my opinion.

As someone else pointed out, the pop-outs are not particularly sturdy and will likely break within the first year. I'm fine with the "remove the current cup holders and add a small storage space". Then have flip-up cup holders in front of that (the ones in the Prius work great). There would still be plenty of room for purses and bags.

The problem with the glove compartment is that it's not convenient for the driver to reach. That's a mighty big stretch in a wide car like the Model S. The glove compartment is for things like logbooks, registration and insurance, etc. that are seldom accessed.

Some pop/pull out cup holders are flimsy (mainly european), however the one in our Honda Odyssey is rock solid and has been for 7 years of abuse. If designed well enough, they could implement cup holders that are sturdy and can be concealed or hidden when not needed.

Screen Shot 2012-06-29 at 3.31.20 PM.png

It's structural and hasn't changed since the betas as far as I can tell.

The covering around the structural bar is larger on the test drive cars than it is on the Beta cars, due to the rollers for the sunshade. And like I said, it's black while the rest of the headliner is light colored, so it really stands out.

Since I'm getting Performance with CF, I may take to wrapping it with CF vinyl. But, I'd rather delete the sunshade and have a smaller bar.

I'm sorry there wasn't a better chance to study all of the opportunity consoles at the Fremont event. It's hard to tell from the photos how the phone holder is expected to work, for example. I would love to see this with an actual phone in it.

I like the direction suggested by ddruz -- more capable cup holders under the screen so that the arm rest isn't impeded by the holders. Add a door to the little shelf area, and use the cupholder space under the armrest as a cubby. I also liked Soflauthor's suggested console (+1 for ddruz's cup holder feedback on it). Either of these could work well.

I do think that it's a good goal to keep the floor space between the seats open enough for a woman's purse. I don't really envision myself putting my laptop case there, so for me personally, I wouldn't mind Soflauthor's console for that reason, but I can see why others would lean towards ddruz's.

Feeback on the options shown:
  • I would certainly appreciate the litle shelf under the display. Better if it had a cover for those folks who might want to leave something in it.
  • Personally, I prefer to have my phone where I can see it in case it rings (so I can see the Caller ID), so the proposed location for the phone holder isn't very good for me.
  • The rear console and cup holder looks nice. I don't carry passengers that often, so I probably wouldn't buy it. I certainly agree with others, though, that it would be preferable for it to fold out of the rear seat.
  • It's really hard to tell from the photos if the cup holders under the shelf will be useful or not, but I do like the location. As with druz's suggestion, I think I'd rather see the cup holders there and storage under the arm rest.

Some general thoughts:
  • My main car for the last 10 years has been a RAV4-EV, which has effectively no console storage. It has a pair of cup holders, a very shallow tray under the hand brake and some vertical coin slots. I haven't felt that the car needed more storage, and I keep various items in the (large) glove box. Including gloves!! ;)
  • I have also owned a 2007 Prius for the past couple of years. It has a nice center armrest whose top flips open to reveal a large storage bin with an aux input and a 12V plug. There's a felt-lined tray that sits on top (on rails) and can slide back and forth. It's nice for change, and the felt lining keeps the coins from jingling. I don't drive the Prius much, but I do appreciate the ability to leave change for meters in that tray out of sight.
  • I would really like to see pocket or net storage on the backs of the front seats. In particular, I want a place to put my fold-up sun shade (for when the car is parked). In the nets on the back of the Prius's seats, I keep a sun visor and some sunscreen. Same thing in the RAV's seatback pockets.
  • In my RAV4, I have a nice third party clip-on cradle (ProClips) that attaches to the dash with a bracket that mounts by slipping very skinny plastic wedges into the seams in the dash. It doesn't leave any marks, it's easily removed, and it works absolutely great. I hope that they will make a clip for the Tesla.
  • One really nice thing about the cradle is that whenever I'm in the car, my phone is plugged in and charging. With power hungry devices, this really helps you get through the day. I don't have to fuss around with a cable. I just slide the phone into the cradle. Done. Therefore, I greatly prefer the idea of a cradle to a simple USB jack that will require fussing with a cable.