Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opportunity Console - New Photos, Poll

This is how I'd like my Model S configured

• No console, keep it open

Votes: 84 14.3%
  • Somewhere for bits and bobs

Votes: 343 58.2%
  • My phone needs a home

Votes: 303 51.4%
  • Give me somewhere for the 'big-gulp'

Votes: 158 26.8%
  • Forget seat 5, give me more in the back

Votes: 110 18.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very cool, I'm heartened Tesla is willing to dig through all the noise (good, bad, and whining) in all of our comments and digesting into tangible changes. They also noted (warning: off topic) changes due to unexpected wear in the test drives and some fixes they're going to make, so more positive changes happening early on and rolling into the production line.

Back on topic. Since the "small shelf" cubbie is now standard, does anyone know the approximate dimensions of the front opening of the cubbie. How wide and how high? Outside dimensions are all that I need. If anyone has them or can get them during this weekend's test drives, please post here or send me a private message. Thx, again.

In its current form the centre console looks cheap and unfinished and not what I would expect from a vehicle in this price range.
I like the design by soflauthor too.
I favour cup holders that are concealed when not in use and slide out with a press of the finger.
There are many great examples in other car brands and models so there is no shortage of ideas for Telsa to play with.
Even economy priced Japanese and Korean cars are better resolved console designs than the Model S.
I like everything stored away out of sight in compartment with hinged covers.
Disclosure: I have a tendancy toward Obessive Compulsive Tidiness so the current design would drive me nuts! :tongue:

Opps, looks like here is the right place to post this for GeorgeB:

Here is a concept sketch developing the shelf vertically so it is more useful without giving up the floor storage for purses, pack packs, shoes, briefcases and take out bags.

Tesla.001.jpg

Significantly, this also would help address the dangerous condition created with the current open shelf configuration. Any serious driver will tell you never to store anything in a position where it can roll under the brake or accelerator pedal. I've read of cases of women kicking off high heels for safer driving only to have them cause an accident.

I imagine the existing shelf used for sunglasses and phones, the drawer for smaller items or valuable items, and the cubby for hats, caps, the cloth for the screen, tire gage, point and shoot camera etc. The door faces might match the brushed aluminum.

I also like changing the color of the leather behind the steering wheel to black to take some of the stiffness out of the symmetry.

An optional aluminum cup holder might be attachable on the forward face of the existing cup holder location for people with the seat forward.

And thank you Tesla for not cluttering up the interior with redundant logos and brand signs.

Last edited by a moderator:
b. noing: I really like your Vertical Storage Extension Idea concept for those who wish to retain the open space yet add some concealed storage space. Bravo! There are lots of ways they could play with your concept, possibly offering a number of options, even including pop out or drop down cup holders that disappear when not in use. It would be doubly great if it was offered as a no-cost option.

View attachment 7680

That is perfect! I was trying to describe something like this a few weeks ago BUT a picture is worth at least 1,000 words. Great work.

My idea for cupholders (I'm repeating myself) was that Tesla make aluminum rings that extend from the dashboard like the door handles. When not in use they would just look like aluminum trim pieces. Then you could use the center console as an armrest (without cupholders) plus an optional mini refrigerator that could slide forward to front row and backward to the back row.

Edit: Cupholders would function like the disc tray in your CD player just aluminum and more sturdy (with a big enough opening for large beverages). Because they're aluminum they could be heated and cooled for the ultimate in cupholders (I know this needs to wait for S 1.5).

Last edited:
Here is a concept sketch developing the shelf vertically so it is more useful without giving up the floor storage for purses, pack packs, shoes, briefcases and take out bags.

I imagine the existing shelf used for sunglasses and phones, the drawer for smaller items or valuable items, and the cubby for hats, caps, the cloth for the screen, tire gage, point and shoot camera etc. The door faces might match the brushed aluminum.

An optional aluminum cup holder might be attachable on the forward face of the existing cup holder location for people with the seat forward.
I really like this approach, @b.noing! Clean, simple, and open, while providing useful concealed storage.

Perhaps the "add push-to-open drawer" would open up to be a pair of cupholders?

B.noing, you've got it. A few changes to cupholder location and that's exactly what I'm looking for! Concealed storage while retaining the open feel.

The space under and behind the touchscreen is relatively useless anyway...THAT's where the concealed storage should be!

GeorgeB...^ this is what I think most of us are looking for!

@b.noing: That looks great! Welcome to TMC. You've hit it out of the park first time out. Your idea plus the removable unit on the back seat would make this car absolutely perfect.

@GeorgeB: Note that so far this idea has 100% likes..... :biggrin:

Almost :) It would be cool if it were optional. Not a fan personally, but think it's a better opportunity console option than many they have officially proposed. At this point though, I just need better cupholders and I'm golden on the interior.

View attachment 7680

Significantly, this also would help address the dangerous condition created with the current open shelf configuration. Any serious driver will tell you never to store anything in a position where it can roll under the brake or accelerator pedal. I've read of cases of women kicking off high heels for safer driving only to have them cause an accident.

I also like changing the color of the leather behind the steering wheel to black to take some of the stiffness out of the symmetry.

And thank you Tesla for not cluttering up the interior with redundant logos and brand signs.

Great idea! With this, certainly lose the armrest cup holders ! Personally, I don't need cup holders at all! But, as others have suggested making a retractable cup holder one of your compartments is a good idea. Then convert the existing cup holders in the armrest to dedicated covered storage for say sunglasses, and I think you have nailed it. I would want the doors to match the trim, surrounded by brushed aluminum to match the whole. Your option can be combined with one of the original ideas which has the usbports and phone holder under the armrest.