Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opportunity Console - New Photos, Poll

This is how I'd like my Model S configured

• No console, keep it open

Votes: 84 14.3%
  • Somewhere for bits and bobs

Votes: 343 58.2%
  • My phone needs a home

Votes: 303 51.4%
  • Give me somewhere for the 'big-gulp'

Votes: 158 26.8%
  • Forget seat 5, give me more in the back

Votes: 110 18.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpg
image.jpg

New rendering for production cup holders
Are the same sizes as in the car

This is unexplainable to me. The Tesla is a solid 10 in almost every way in which you can compare it to other cars. Performance, efficiency, looks, handling, UI, you name it. But it gets a solid 1 in the area "interior storage space". Yes, a 1. I have owned about fifteen cars so far, and driven about a hundred different rentals. The Model S is by far the car with less storage available. Even my old ´92 Miata had waaay more storage space than the Model S. My tiny Mercedes SLK two-seat convertible about quadruples the storage space of the Model S (one large glove box, two large lidded compartments between the seats, one between the back rests and two slots behind the seats, plus pockets in the doors). My Toyota Sienna has four large lidded storage boxes, six small lidded ones and about ten "pockets". My Model S has one tiny, tiny globe box that barely fits the manual, and not one single pocket. It is ridiculous.
Do people really never, ever have to keep anything at hand in the car?
To me the bare minimum a car has to be able to fit is:
A pair of gloves
a small emergency kit (nothing big, the typical one sold at Walgreens is adequate)
a pair of glasses or two
A set of glass-cleaning wipes
A microfiber cloth
A phone charger or USB cable
Somewhere for a trash bag (I am appalled that modern cars don't have a formal trash box, a lined trash box would even be a revenue source for the manufacturer in the form of form-fitted replaceable liners).
A compact umbrella.

And a few other small things.

If this was a mediocre car, or even a regular "great" car, I would accept that maybe it scores a 3 in one category, designers can't do everything perfectly. But that a car that managed to outdo every other car out there in almost every single category underperforms every other car in the planet by a wide margin in one of the most trivially solvable aspects is bizarre.

+1
Herbys - I could not agree more! I had a similar thread on this. Certain of the Tesla fan/owner population (a pretty big portion) seems unwilling to acknowledge clear misses. This was a huge whiff! All of those folks who say they 'quite like the empty space', I would ask if it came with the typical center console, only it was removable, would you actually remove it? I bet the answer would be a resounding "No". In short, I think what people mean is "meh - I've gotten used to not having it and I live with that". It's a whiff - Let's accept that and move on.

+1
Herbys - I could not agree more! I had a similar thread on this. Certain of the Tesla fan/owner population (a pretty big portion) seems unwilling to acknowledge clear misses. This was a huge whiff! All of those folks who say they 'quite like the empty space', I would ask if it came with the typical center console, only it was removable, would you actually remove it? I bet the answer would be a resounding "No". In short, I think what people mean is "meh - I've gotten used to not having it and I live with that". It's a whiff - Let's accept that and move on.

My centre is a real mess. Stuff slides all over and makes noise on every turn. It's kind of embarrassing. The glove box has the papers and manual and so it's full. I'm waiting to see how much the Tesla one is because I really don't want to pay $1200 for one.

+1

I dunno, if I was a woman with a big purse it would be fine. Great place to drop a big bag.

But I'm not.

...and I wager 90% of the buyers of this car are male and likely 99.95% of those males don't use murses.

+1

I would have taken out the center console in a heartbeat. One of the things I really liked about the interior was the openness. I know from past experiences that if there are cubbies, they fill up, with crap and trash. In my Dodge Neon I had NO storage outside of the ashtray. And guess what, I didn't have useless crap all over my car. I bought a Jetta with some storage space. Guess what happened. I started traveling with more trash, and more crap I don't need.

I have two places where most of my 'critical' stuff goes. My glove box carries pretty much everything I need. It isn't super easy to get everything, but I don't use anything in there much so it works out. I also keep a multi-tool, some misc tools, and a flashlight in the trunk. I used to put this in the spare tire well, or in an alcove on the side. Same thing with the Model S, nicely kept in the EVSE bag.

I would have taken out the center console in a heartbeat. One of the things I really liked about the interior was the openness. I know from past experiences that if there are cubbies, they fill up, with crap and trash. In my Dodge Neon I had NO storage outside of the ashtray. And guess what, I didn't have useless crap all over my car. I bought a Jetta with some storage space. Guess what happened. I started traveling with more trash, and more crap I don't need.

I have two places where most of my 'critical' stuff goes. My glove box carries pretty much everything I need. It isn't super easy to get everything, but I don't use anything in there much so it works out. I also keep a multi-tool, some misc tools, and a flashlight in the trunk. I used to put this in the spare tire well, or in an alcove on the side. Same thing with the Model S, nicely kept in the EVSE bag.

Revisit this statement after you have a couple of kids....

Ok, let's watch percentages, boobs and bags! Hello. A woman with both. If nothing else, using the place for elbows and cups does not compute! Some have mentioned a storage bag on driver seat. Not in mine. Need beverage area forward. What were they thinking? I can deal with pocketbook. Ideal: between seats middle, but need a storage area that does not show all the junk, plus beverage area that is equidistant from my elbow resting on included console area and end of arm. Hello? Anyone listening.?

Ok, let's watch percentages, boobs and bags! Hello. A woman with both. If nothing else, using the place for elbows and cups does not compute! Some have mentioned a storage bag on driver seat. Not in mine. Need beverage area forward. What were they thinking? I can deal with pocketbook. Ideal: between seats middle, but need a storage area that does not show all the junk, plus beverage area that is equidistant from my elbow resting on included console area and end of arm. Hello? Anyone listening.?

+1

Yes, definitely listening.

I wager that 90% of their wives and girlfriends do.

LOL. My wife likes the open space much better. Though she admits the CCI is perfect and beautiful. The flip side is: the center console in her Highlander is large. It's so crammed full of stuff that I don't think Monte Hall could ask for anything that isn't in there somewhere. I'd hate to imagine all that junk sitting in the opportunity space.

I still find the arm rests too high and too far to the rear, cup holders too high and should be lower and forward, and there should be at least some small concealed storage for the necessities,plus someplace to put the trash bag. Simple redesign of the existing center lump. Presumably the more this is mentioned by us, the greater possibility the designers will consider it in the future. I look forward to seeing the Tesla designed insert. RNG

Agree!

- - - Updated - - -

Just saw Tesla's soon-to-be released Drop-in Center Console. Thank goodness. And, it this one looks like it is taking great advantage of the vertical space while looking stylish. I can't wait. Has anyone heard at what price it might be sold?

...and I wager 90% of the buyers of this car are male and likely 99.95% of those males don't use murses.

90% (or more) of the forum members are male - that doesn't translate to the buying population. I don't know the Model S stats, but personal experience is that better than 30% of Model S drivers are women.

And while I don't know a single man who carries something they call a man-bag (okay, maybe one) - every guy I work with either has a backpack (majority) or a briefcase. Same thing, diff name.

7 posts before Bonnie addresses this one....:)

Sent via Tapatalk.

Nine posts. You lose. :)

What do I win?

I can't reply to the rest because I'm a little hung up on your 'boobs and bags' statement. Really? REALLY? How respectful of you.

Ladies, let us get real. That post was made by me, a woman, one that is practical! I'm way in front of you on the feminist side so put your howling aside. Back to let's get real. I don't know about you, but I do, in fact, have boobs and bags. Neither of which were considered when some aspects of the interior of this car were designed. You want to talk about women buying the car? Then "hello!" Let us accommodate them just w tad, shall we? The inability to adjust the height of the seat belt, not only chops my neck off, as it would a gentleman of similar height, but, thus, presses most uncomfortably upon my, Heavens, should I say it?, boobs. And, I do carry a combo handbag/brief case that needs a home, because I'm always on the fly, as do the iPhone, sunglasses, bottles of water.

Since I have always been one of the first women to do most things, including entering my profession, which was a man's, I am also one of the first women to have a Tesla S, as are you. But, gals, I've been around long enough to ask for what I need, not wait for someone to read my mind and then, not unsurprisingly, never manage to deliver it. I say again, get real. If you have boobs and bags, wake up. If don't then it's not your problem, is it?

Ladies, let us get real. That post was made by me, a woman, one that is practical! I'm way in front of you on the feminist side so put your howling aside. Back to let's get real. I don't know about you, but I do, in fact, have boobs and bags. Neither of which were considered when some aspects of the interior of this car were designed. You want to talk about women buying the car? Then "hello!" Let us accommodate them just w tad, shall we? The inability to adjust the height of the seat belt, not only chops my neck off, as it would a gentleman of similar height, but, thus, presses most uncomfortably upon my, Heavens, should I say it?, boobs. And, I do carry a combo handbag/brief case that needs a home, because I'm always on the fly, as do the iPhone, sunglasses, bottles of water.

Since I have always been one of the first women to do most things, including entering my profession, which was a man's, I am also one of the first women to have a Tesla S, as are you. But, gals, I've been around long enough to ask for what I need, not wait for someone to read my mind and then, not unsurprisingly, never manage to deliver it. I say again, get real. If you have boobs and bags, wake up. If don't then it's not your problem, is it?

Now we're making progress! :biggrin: