Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Optimum No Rinse (ONR) Convert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never really been a car washer. I would go to the automatic washers every couple months and that was about it (Not even touch less.....the horror! :)). I knew that was not going to work with the Tesla so tonight I just finished my second ONR. All I can say is WOW! I can’t believe how easy it is and the results are awesome. I basically used the Gary Dean wash method: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws59CEYUpC0) pre-soak microfibers (theragcompany.com) in 2 gallons of ONR , spray ONR on panels, 4 fold microfiber, wash panels with 8 sections of microfiber, throw used microfiber in an empty bucket, blot dry with waffle weave microfiber. I now understand why ONR has such a following here. If you have not tried it I highly recommended it!

2016-02-12 22.48.11.jpg

2016-02-13 21.58.36.jpg

2016-02-13 22.11.19.jpg

Reactions: Raincloud
I've used Optimum No-Rinse as a rinseless wash for the last 2 years on my last 2 cars, and will definitely continue to use it with the Tesla. Also love Power Clean as an all-purpose cleaner, and Opti-Bond, since it dries (it won't sling everywhere), and it has a nice satin finish - I don't like super-shiny tires.

My winter routine is:
-Fill 5 gallon bucket with ~1.5 gallons of warm water, and a splash of ONR
-Soak 6 high-pile microfiber cloths in the water (they also help to prevent sloshing on the way to the car wash)
-Drive to a pay 'n spray, and spray off all the crud
-Use the soaked ONR microfibers to clean a small area each (NOT putting the dirty towels back in the water)
-Dry the car with a drying towel
-Use the remainder of the water/ONR mix to clean the wheels with a Wheel Woolie

Almost as good as a proper 2-bucket wash, better/cheaper/more efficient than using soap and then starting the sprayer back up to rinse the car, and WAY better than using an automated car wash!

Just converted this weekend. Tried Optimum Wash and Wax. All I can say is "Wow!". 3D HD brand was the inventor of the product and I just found out they are headquartered 15 minutes from my house. Once I use up this bottle, I'll try the "original". Probably will be wasting my gallon bottle of traditional car shampoo, but this method is just sooooo much easier. I can do everything in the comfort of the garage!

Almost as good as a proper 2-bucket wash, better/cheaper/more efficient than using soap and then starting the sprayer back up to rinse the car, and WAY better than using an automated car wash!

Better actually. If you use a rinse bucket, then reuse the mitten, then there will always be some contamination even if you use grit guards. If you use enough microfiber mittens, do a panel, turn and do another panel, and then throw in the bucket, then you never use a contaminated mitten on the next panel. I use about 14 of them in my case to get the entire car. At the end, the second bucket which didn't have a rinse is now full of mittens that get washed together and never with the same ones that touched the wheels/brake dust. That stuff never comes out completely even when washed. Also, never wash the mittens or towels that touched the wheels before the mittens used to wash the paint. The rinse cycle doesn't get EVERYTHING out so it's good to do those after and then multiple loads of other laundry not related to detailing be done to cycle out the brake dust.

I've switched to ONR recently, mainly to avoid using my home water which leaves horrible water spots. I use distilled water. A gallon lasts about 2 washes. I was quite skeptical of a no-rinse technique, but I have to say, it works really well! I like that I can wash my car in my garage, which will be nice during the winter. The ONR plus a microfiber towel seem to easily pull the dirt off with just a light swipe.

You guys blot the ONR dry instead of just using the waffle weave to wipe it up? Blotting takes forever and doesn't remove all the excess liquid for me...
I spray on Optimum Instant Detailer after washing and before drying which seems to help evaporate the water, so you can lightly dry completely with a waffle weave instead of blotting. I can dry my entire car with a single waffle weave towel.

• Funny
Reactions: momo3605
Did a how-to blog post a while back for folks that want to give this a try: Washing Your Model S with A "No-Rinse" Product

This was fantastic. I've never heard of this product and like others, hope to avoid auto car washes and take true love and care of my Tesla when it arrives.

I plan to order direct from your list of products.

Have you ever considered one of those big sprayers for the wash part?

Have you ever considered one of those big sprayers for the wash part?

I have tried a couple of different approaches for the wash part including using this, Amazon.com : Yard Force YF4050PB Lithium-Ion Bucket Pressure Washer : Patio, Lawn & Garden, recommended by another owner, but I always go back to this method. Even my old car washing method (pre-rinse > foam gun > 2-bucket wash with boars bristle brush > master blaster) I like hand washing because it gives me the oppty to go over the car in detail and find problems, etc.

I have tried a couple of different approaches for the wash part including using this, Amazon.com : Yard Force YF4050PB Lithium-Ion Bucket Pressure Washer : Patio, Lawn & Garden, recommended by another owner, but I always go back to this method. Even my old car washing method (pre-rinse > foam gun > 2-bucket wash with boars bristle brush > master blaster) I like hand washing because it gives me the oppty to go over the car in detail and find problems, etc.

That was meant to say bug sprayer versus big, sorry. :)

You have definitely inspired me to think differently about how to care for my impending S that is coming soon.

Just curious but what do you guys do with the microfiber towels after you're done? Do you literally use the same washing machine that washes your family's clothes to wash microfiber towels that have been dipped in chemicals and grime? Just doesn't seem like something I want to do. But the alternative - using towels once and only once - seems like a monumental waste.

Just curious but what do you guys do with the microfiber towels after you're done? Do you literally use the same washing machine that washes your family's clothes to wash microfiber towels that have been dipped in chemicals and grime? Just doesn't seem like something I want to do. But the alternative - using towels once and only once - seems like a monumental waste.
Pre-soak the microfibers in a bucket of warm water and microfiber wash to get the worst of the muck off, wring them out, then toss them into the washing machine with some more microfiber wash (again, warm water, super wash, maximum water usage). If the towels were really dirty, then they can still leave some residue in the washer... however, it can be wiped out with a spare washrag and some Simple Green. If you're worried about gunk that you can't reach, then toss a cup of Simple Green into the washer and run it through a hot wash cycle (max water usage) after you wipe it down.

Dry the microfibers on low heat for about 30-45 minutes without using a dryer sheet.