Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Options you wish you chose...but didn't

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 60 and in retrospect wish I had gone with the 85. The added range would have been nice for longer road trips, and the extra performance also would have been nice. With supercharging included in the 85 but an option with the 60, it's only an $8K difference. I didn't go with paint armor and didn't get the sound package but did go with tech package. You don't need the HPWC and probably would just get a single charger now since you can always add another later on if enough high amp charging stations start showing up to take advantage of the second charger. Note that the twin chargers has nothing to do with supercharging.

Don't skip on the paint armor. The Model S is very low to the ground (especially on the highway) and the nose paint very easily gets dinged with little rock chips coming from the wheels of cars in front of you.

And of course, the rear facing seats since you can't have them installed afterwards anymore.

I have two words for you: twin chargers. It would've only cost $1500 installed at the factory, and if I want it installed now it'll be a cool $3500. I didn't think we would need it since we weren't getting the HPWC, but much to my chagrin there are more 70A chargers out there than I had anticipated. Doh.

Whatever you do, don't skimp on the tech package. We are very happy with all the options, and without it we'd feel awful silly sticking our garage door opener out the window every time we want to open and close the garage door.

As for paint armor, we opted for an after-market full wrap. It has provided great peace of mind and looks great.

I got everything but the parcel shelf and the jumpseat. I would always get the 85 just for the peace of mind. You really don't need the Performance unless you really want the extra acceleration. The standard 85 is very fast. The 21 inch wheels look great but I find that I worry about them to some extent as far as life expectancy, curb rash, flats, and blow outs. The 19's are more efficient, and there are more replacement options. I would definitely get the twin chargers just in case. Everyone told me I didn't need the HPWC from the beginning but I got it anyway. I'm not sorry but it does appear that I wont really ever need it. If you find that you need it, and have the twin chargers, you can always use it later. Charging at 80amps might also require additional, more expensive electrical modifications at your house.

I would always get the tech package. I've never really considered it an option on this nice of a car. Just things the car should have. The premium sound is so nice when playing Lossless formats such as FLACC, it's wonderful and addicting. I find myself taking drives just to listen to music.

I REALLY love this car. You're gonna LOVE this car.

IMO ... Like Al ... I got everything less jump seats.

1. While perf model is a blast ... that's 1% of the time.
2. Premium sound ... I personally dont find the sound so premium. And we are still waiting for on board drive access.
3. Tech is a must.
4. Wheels ... taste. 21's finish this ride!
5. Parcel ... meh. Would not miss it (but I don't keep anything of value back there).
6. Pano roof ... I love it. Summer is coming, so it wont be of any use here in HELL! But cool winter days .... ahhh!

Yes, thanks for reminding me Steve about the Pano roof. It looks great but I probably wont use it much. I'm enjoying the quiet ride so much. Also nice to be able to vent the car with the phone app after a round of golf. It really cools off quickly.

I should have qualified the premium sound comment. I am nowhere near an audiophile, and you probably should be aware that there are quite a few on this forum that ARE, and do not think the premium sound is the best they've ever heard to say the least. To be fair, it's my first experience with a "good" car sound system and I can't believe how much I like it.

I got the 85 kWh version and skipped out on the pano roof and the jump seats. I don't regret that at all, and I won't miss the pano roof in the spring, summer, fall or winter. I got 19 inch wheels instead of the 21. I really love teh 21s, but just don't see them as really practical given the winters here, the expected life of the tires, decrease in range, etc. If I have some extra cash lying around, I might spring for them in the future.

However, I do wish that I had paid the extra $1500 for the other charger. That was a mistake IMHO. I'll have this car for a while, and I am sure higher amp chargers are going to pop up, and it leaves me the option of getting (and efficiently using) a HPWC in the future should I need it. Hvb is right: Now I have to pay $3500 to get it if I want it.

I got the 85 kWh version and skipped out on the pano roof and the jump seats. I don't regret that at all, and I won't miss the pano roof in the spring, summer, fall or winter. I got 19 inch wheels instead of the 21. I really love teh 21s, but just don't see them as really practical given the winters here, the expected life of the tires, decrease in range, etc. If I have some extra cash lying around, I might spring for them in the future.

However, I do wish that I had paid the extra $1500 for the other charger. That was a mistake IMHO. I'll have this car for a while, and I am sure higher amp chargers are going to pop up, and it leaves me the option of getting (and efficiently using) a HPWC in the future should I need it. Hvb is right: Now I have to pay $3500 to get it if I want it.

Like Kevin, I skipped the performance, pano, jump seats and twin chargers. I also passed on the sound (figured I'd go aftermarket if I wanted something really nice) and paint armor (again, considering aftermarket or may just take my licks). Also, like Kevin, I regret not adding the second charger. Not for the HPWC but as insurance for the future. It's not a big deal, and was a roll of the dice on whether I'd need it, but I'd love to take the S on road trips to Canada and they have a growing infrastructure of high power chargers.

I guess that would be premium sound for me. Not because of audio quality (the standard is just fine for my family). But I do miss SiriusXM if only because I've found the Slacker implmentation lacking. And TuneIn is great, except, I guess I'm spoiled by the lack of commercials on SXM.

I agonized over options as I didn't want the car to balloon to a $100K machine.

Last year you had to get leather for the seat heaters and I regret the lack of this in mine, otherwise the textile interior has been fine. I'm not an audiophile and I have old man ears - the standard sound system has worked well for me. Driving on a particularly beautiful spring day recently, I kinda wished for the pano roof, but on the whole I've been happy without. By far the biggest "Glad I got it" option is the tech package - a lot of little things that add up to make the experience much better, and I don't think it's unreasonably priced compared to other cars.

My last minute decision to get the upgraded radio was definitely the "right" thing to do, because the AM/FM has the worst reception of any car that I have ever owned, and slacker doesn't quite make it with respect to real time news, etc. While the Pano roof is nice now that the weather is nice, for the first couple of weeks when it was cold I detected a large heat loss. (Can't wait for the long, hot summer without a sunscreen).

I got the 19 inch wheels, and wouldn't say I regret it exactly... But... I don't think the expense for the 21s was worth it for me, but having driven for 3 months now, and finding myself enjoying the car and driving much more, er, exuberantly than I ever did in my Accord, I do notice that the 19-inch wheels just don't perform as well as the 21s. Even for my non-performance S85 the 21s do provide an additional degree of handling and stick that the car really benefits from when driven with enthusiasm. So I guess I'd say I find the 21s much higher value for the $$ than what I originally gave them credit for, even if I still wouldn't have spent the cash if buying today.

btw if u have kids under 7 or 8, the jump seats are fantastic. If you have 3 kids and any are under 8 I would say they are the #1 must have option for the car, or #2 after the tech package perhaps. It looks like after-market tinting for the rear window is a necessary add-on though...

Last edited:
I pretty much sprung for all options on my S85 except for twin chargers, 21" wheels, jump seats and parcel shelf. I have loved every single option that I sprung for thus far. The tech package is great and having google maps and turn-by-turn nav is just awesome in the car. The premium sound is a bit of a sore topic on the boards but you can put me in the camp of those that really like it. I think Tesla did a great job balancing the sound and to me is quite nice.

By far the pano roof is the option that I use the most. I love the open feeling it gives when closed and, with the great spring weather, I have had it open almost everyday. Hands down this is a feature that I don't know I would have missed if I didn't get it but having it is REALLY nice.

Why I didn't get the few options:
1. twin chargers - the east coast is WAY behind on infrastructure. 1500 to future proof the car just didn't make sense to me since we probably won't see any 70AMP chargers in the wild for a good bit of time.
2. 21" Wheels - While I like the look the range impact plus additional cost just didn't make the cut. I also love aftermarket wheels and I knew that I would be swapping my stockers for something else so it wasn't worth it.
3. jump seats - I have no kids that can fit back there nor do I need a 7 seat vehicle.
4. parcel shelf - I just bought one cash. Financing $250 bucks just didn't make very good financial sense to me.

I got the 19 inch wheels, and wouldn't say I regret it exactly... But... I don't think the expense for the 21s was worth it for me, but having driven for 3 months now, and finding myself enjoying the car and driving much more, er, exuberantly than I ever did in my Accord, I do notice that the 19-inch wheels just don't perform as well as the 21s. Even for my non-performance S85 the 21s do provide an additional degree of handling and stick that the car really benefits from when driven with enthusiasm. So I guess I'd say I find the 21s much higher value for the $$ than what I originally gave them credit for, even if I still wouldn't have spent the cash if buying today.
IMO - the biggest difference between the 19 and 21" wheels aren't the wheel diameter, but the tires. You get summer performance tires with the 21" wheels (Continental ExtremeContact DW or Michelin PS2s if lucky) which will be the biggest change. The 19" tires are already low profile, so if you are looking for more grip, get summer performance tires instead when it's time to replace the stock tires.

I've not regretted the options (see below) that I ordered. I really didn't want the 21's (too expensive, both up front and for replacement tires) and have no need of the jump seats. I drove both a Performance and non-Performance and could barely tell the difference. Since the non-Performance has way more "performance" than I'll ever need, I couldn't justify that extra either. I would have paid extra for the upgraded interior that comes with the Performance, however.

Somehow I am managing to get by without the tech package, the second charger, the wrap, the extra seats, the HPWC, the 21" wheels, the extra 25kWh, the expanded sound system, and last but not least, a fancy paint color. It's such a struggle, but I'm making do!

Seriously, they're options because you really do not need them.

Having said that, I also skipped configuring the SuperCharger and now I'm extremely glad that Tesla added the SC ability anyway. The extra 25kWh (60->85) would be nice but that's a price point beyond where I wanted to go. The 60 is a stretch for me; I could have got a loaded 40 or a 60. I went with the 60 as IMO extra range overrides all other options.