Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Options you would like to see in the Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My only three wish list requests for the Model X are cooled front seats, adaptive cruise control, and Around-View Parking cameras (like most of the Infiniti and BMW vehicles have). If the 2015 Tesla Model X can't at least stack up to the 2010 Infiniti FX50, I won't be able to justify the extra $40-50,000 just to drive electric. We have our reservation, but the car's gotta justify the hype for me to execute the purchase in two years.

One small thing which is huge for me: My 4Runner's sun visors slide along (extends out on) an arm so that they can be positioned where the sun is when on the sides, against the doors. That's something I love in the 4Runner, and would love in the X. Should be simple to do.
Many cars used to have double visors, where moving the main visor to the side would still leave a secondary visor in front. I don't know why this simple convenience has slowly been disappearing from newer vehicles. In addition to the side visor sliding as EmeraldSkye requests, I'd like Tesla to include that second visor. I would also like to clarify that I want the side visor to slide in its entirety like in the Infiniti FX, not have a little plastic piece slide out like in the Rav4 EV.

Last edited:
The seats folding flat isn't too worrisome for me. Here's a screenshot from the reveal
teslamx.png

One small thing which is huge for me: My 4Runner's sun visors slide along (extends out on) an arm so that they can be positioned where the sun is when on the sides, against the doors. That's something I love in the 4Runner, and would love in the X. Should be simple to do.

Agreed. Frankly I don't understand while all car sun visors aren't made that way. It's such a simple thing to do, but the only car I have ever owned that had them was a mid-90's Lexus LS400.

Nice first post there GenericSpoon. Warms my heart (which had gotten a little chilly from spending the weekend in Toronto & Buffalo):wink: What to do w all that room?! The screenshot allows for a little closer inspection. So thanks for that.
Also, time to point out again that the Model X is a very good looking car - if we could ever get a good look at it w the doors closed! For obvious reasons, it is always displayed w the wings up. Looks better w them down.

Nice first post there GenericSpoon. Warms my heart (which had gotten a little chilly from spending the weekend in Toronto & Buffalo):wink: What to do w all that room?! The screenshot allows for a little closer inspection. So thanks for that.
Also, time to point out again that the Model X is a very good looking car - if we could ever get a good look at it w the doors closed! For obvious reasons, it is always displayed w the wings up. Looks better w them down.
Why thank you :smile: I fully understand the cold thing, living in Montreal. I play hockey, goaltender to be exact, which means a lot of gear to transport. For example, my 2011 Outback requires me to fold down two of the seats in order to fit everything and still have rear visibility(bag in the trunk, I can leave my leg pads on top of the bag but then I can't see anything, so the leg pads go on the back seat). My friend's Model S fits my gear in the trunk(pads+bag) with his bag(smaller since he's not a goalie) in the frunk and both our sticks slide over the top of the rear seats and rest against the second row floor. This is a major selling point for me, and the X being even larger and my lack of use for the third row will provide a huge trunk(with the third row seats basically always folded flat) plus the frunk for whatever else I have. This is honestly the first time I'm excited of spending this much on a car, as opposed to being happy when I end up paying less than I set out to when shopping for a car.

As OP of the thread decided to try and organize it a bit, as things keep getting re-hashed. I have divided the options mentioned in the thread into four categories, and loosley tried to order them with the most mentioned options being at the top of the category. If an option was only mentioned once, I might of skipped it, and probably missed some others altogether. Feel free to alter the list.

Interior
accessible drink/cup holdrs
heated seats
ventilated/cooled seats
ventilation/controls in the back/ 4 zone climate control
Removable second row seating
lay-flat cargo area.
Storage - more of it (compared to model s)
memory seated position for at least two drivers
Rear seat entertainment
heated steering wheel
Aux power front and rear
driver seat automatically goes back when turn car off, making ingress and egress easier
sun visors slide along (extends out on) an arm so that they can be positioned where the sun is when on the sides,
trunk partition
dog barrier
mini-refrigerator

Exterior
panoramic sunroof
roof rack with needs ability to hold kayak and skis
normal door option
memory mirror positions for 2 drivers with Electrally foldable auto-dimming heated side mirrors
tow hitch/wiring standard
good clearance without resorting to raising the car with air suspension
Luxury rear seating option for adults.
soft close doors
automatic trunk closure
lightweight multi-use trailer
different performance wheels than the ones currently on the model S
more aggressive/masculine appearance for the performance version
Aluminum package interior for the performance version
cargo liner as an option as well.

Battery and Charging
85 kWh and 100 kwh battery options
Dual plugs for the dual chargers so the car could be plugged into 2 240V charge cables simultaneously when alone at a charging station.
Option for charge-port on either side (since my wife and I will share an HPC (true love!)
Charge adapter for same connection to Roadster or vice-versa
Drive-In / camping mode
V2G / V2V2 charge support

Driver Assist
Adaptive cruise control
Parking assistance system (cameras, audio/visual sensors, etc)
blind spot indicator
Auto dimming high beam headlights
Lane Change Warning
Drowsy Warning
Crash detection and braking system
HUD

I also added another picture of the cargo partition, showing a recent trip to Costco for our family. It just makes things so much more accesible, especially if you have multiple stops and things to pick up. While Costco is not the norm for us, (in terms of how much groceries we buy at once) it serves as a great example of keeping things accesible ie. the stroller, when you have other things in your trunk space. When not in use you can lay it flat on floor of the cargo space. I really cannot beleive most SUV's do not have this and want more people to ask for it.

IYT8Orxl.jpg

I also added another picture of the cargo partition, showing a recent trip to Costco for our family. It just makes things so much more accesible, especially if you have multiple stops and things to pick up. While Costco is not the norm for us, (in terms of how much groceries we buy at once) it serves as a great example of keeping things accesible ie. the stroller, when you have other things in your trunk space. When not in use you can lay it flat on floor of the cargo space. I really cannot beleive most SUV's do not have this and want more people to ask for it.

Of all the traditional automakers, Honda tends to stand out in terms of interior conveniences. No surprise that your CR-V has that handy cargo partition.

IMO Tesla should aim to meet and then exceed Honda in this category.

I would like to chime in with a few. (Listed in order of importance)

I'm still debating whether to put "Ultimate safety" up in the must have, but at this point I don't think its a show-stopper. Given that Tesla is a technological leader and committed to safety I would almost say it should be required for this model.

Must have
  • Fold flat (and optionally removable) 2nd and 3rd row seating
  • "parktronics"[SUP]1[/SUP]

Should have
  • Ultimate safety (blind spot / adaptive cruise control / drowsy detection / crash protection & collision avoidance, etc...)
  • 100-120 kWh battery options
  • Tow hitch
  • Dash or console fridge / drink warmer &/or cooler
  • Heated & cooled seating

Nice to have
  • Drive-In / camping mode
  • Since this thread started I put a couple deposits down on the Model X (Sig and GenProd). This post summarizes my options really well. I want to keep the X for 10+ years (ie. expect capacity loss over time). I really would like to travel in this vehicle and be able to go off the SuperCharger/SC path a little and come back on. I'd certainly pay extra for the 100-120 kWh battery options.

Last edited:
I'd like to add my voice in favor of the following:

Important
- Fold-flat and optionally removable 2nd and 3rd row seating (as shown at the reveal)
- USB charging ports at every seat that offer 2-amp capability EACH
- 100 and 120 KWh battery options (I'd get the 120 for sure, my ideal Tesla needs >=300 miles of rated range)
- Much, much more storage than what Model S offers (esp. door pockets, rear-of-seat pockets)
- Optional tow hitch with decent capacity
- Multiple cargo-net attachment points in trunk and frunk (with, of course, optional nets available)
- Coat hangers
- Drink holders AT EVERY SEAT
- HUD! It's a HUGE safety benefit
- Headlights that swivel to follow the road better (again, a good safety improvement)

Nice To Have
- USB and 12V power in trunk and frunk
- Heated and cooled seats
- Drink cooler/warmer near driver's seat
- Smart cruise control (adaptive, plus energy conserving)
- Driver memory should remember tons of things: map/app preferences, Slacker user/pass, mirror and seat position... lots of stuff.
- 100% LED lighting in the whole car
- Optional powerful extra lights for rural driving
- Slightly tighter minimum turn radius than Model S

Last edited: