Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order Process for FSD Transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I received my VIN last week I received a call from an Inside Tesla Advisor. She emailed me a one page transfer contract. This is the most important paragraph in the contract.
3. Accept the forfeiture of the Full Self Driving capability on your current Tesla vehicle.
Alternatively, you can choose to trade-in your current Tesla vehicle altogether directly with Tesla when
you purchase your new Tesla vehicle. Tesla will remove Full Self Driving capability from your current
Tesla vehicle up to one week before your scheduled delivery day for your new Tesla. During this process,
your current vehicle will automatically reboot for a few minutes after put in park.
I wonder what happens if you refuse delivery due to QC issues on the new car, but FSD has already been removed from your current car.

I wonder what happens if you refuse delivery due to QC issues on the new car, but FSD has already been removed from your current car.
Good question. The good news is a lot of the past QC issues have been taken care of. When I received one of the first run Y's in early 2020 it had some paint and body alignment issue. I took it anyway, and Tesla fixed 100% of the issues and gave me uber vouchers for the entire time they had the car. (Almost a week) Other's experiences might be different, but the Carlsbad Tesla service location is great and I have no concerns that if there are some QC issues they will fix it.

Scheduled for delivery 8/4 for a new MYLR. Two advisors said to order it without FSD (via email) then sign the form to do the transfer. Unfortunately the new support page posted today says the car needs to be configured with FSD to be eligible for the transfer. FWIW the T&Cs of the transfer form I signed did not include that. I've emailed and texted Tesla for clarification / next steps before I take delivery on Friday. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Scheduled for delivery 8/4 for a new MYLR. Two advisors said to order it without FSD (via email) then sign the form to do the transfer. Unfortunately the new support page posted today says the car needs to be configured with FSD to be eligible for the transfer. FWIW the T&Cs of the transfer form I signed did not include that. I've emailed and texted Tesla for clarification / next steps before I take delivery on Friday. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Sorry to hear you got bad info. The email I received said order it with FSD and it would be subtracted the day before delivery on the final invoice. When the Inside Tesla Advisor called me a day after my order she confirmed that is the process. You might need to decline the current vehicle and change your order to add FSD

Can someone please confirm the price of the vehicle is actually lowered by $15k before taxes, and if this has any impact on insurance/replacement value? Considering doing the 3->Y dance as well.
Not sure if it's before or after tax but the invoice will be lowered $15k one-two days before delivery. I should have completed this process by the end of next week and can post the process I went through

Reactions: config.sys
Sorry to hear you got bad info. The email I received said order it with FSD and it would be subtracted the day before delivery on the final invoice. When the Inside Tesla Advisor called me a day after my order she confirmed that is the process. You might need to decline the current vehicle and change your order to add FSD
I was able to update my order online tonight to add FSD and received a new MVPA and email confirmation showing FSD on it. Now I just cross my fingers that the $15k comes back off the purchase price in the next day or so. I figured worst case I have to reject delivery (probably while sitting next to the car I want) and try again, but hopefully it won't come to that. — Dan

Reactions: player13
From sales: "the FSD transfer will occur once you take delivery. Anything that happens to prior, including VIN rematch, won't affect the process."

Actually from my experience, how the process goes is that the new car is ordered with FSD. No matter how you reject delivery / rematch, the car you get will eventually have FSD. The only thing they do is to remove FSD from old car, and also change the FSD price on the new order to 0.

Last edited:
Reactions: swheat6345
Thank you to this thread for shedding more light on this transfer process! I, too, will be doing the 3-> y dance. How does the extra $15k affect the financing process before delivery? Do I have to factor that in to the loan agreement now and then it gets removed before delivery? Also, sounds like you can’t really sell your car to a third party until after the delivery.

Thank you to this thread for shedding more light on this transfer process! I, too, will be doing the 3-> y dance. How does the extra $15k affect the financing process before delivery? Do I have to factor that in to the loan agreement now and then it gets removed before delivery? Also, sounds like you can’t really sell your car to a third party until after the delivery.
My sales rep told me the final price change (also FSD removal from old car) will happen within 72 hours of delivery. So maybe if you need to finalize loan you need to wait until you get the correct amount?

Do I need to pay off my current car’s loan and receive title before being able to transfer FSD? I have a delivery date scheduled for the new car and can pay off my current loan before then if I have to but don’t know that I’d receive my title in time. Ideally, I’d like to be able to sell the current car privately at my own pace (essentially having the loan paid off by the buyer, likely after delivery of my new car) but if I’m reading the rules correctly, that won’t be possible.

My sales rep told me the final price change (also FSD removal from old car) will happen within 72 hours of delivery. So maybe if you need to finalize loan you need to wait until you get the correct amount?
It appears that I can’t even make a delivery appointment any further out than 3-4 days. Kind of stuck waiting for trade in offer and removal of $15k to finalize the loan. Does scheduling a delivery date accelerate the process?

The final car price will have a $15000 ($15500 if using refer) credit as "referral bonus", so it will be subtracted from the final value for tax purpose.
Final value meaning the invoice price, before taxes, correct? If so, this is a $15,000 + the sales tax on that $15k, discount, which is pretty significant for sure. Also, did you just confirm you can still use the $500 referral link on top of the FSD offer?

Final value meaning the invoice price, before taxes, correct? If so, this is a $15,000 + the sales tax on that $15k, discount, which is pretty significant for sure. Also, did you just confirm you can still use the $500 referral link on top of the FSD offer?
Referral works fine in combination with the FSD transfer. And indeed the $15K will be deducted before taxes and registration fees etc.

Reactions: GoodManFrank
I’m actually going through this process now and it’s a little confusing in my opinion. It’s also so new that even some of the service centers aren’t clear on the exact process. I’m supposed to pickup my new car tomorrow but I haven’t seen any signs of the transfer being complete. I have an offer from CarMax that is only good until Friday so I’m hoping for the best. I can’t let go of my current model 3 until the transfer is complete but I also can’t finalize financing until I pay off my current model 3. Kind of frustrating.
Update…FSD transfer finally went through this morning, also scheduled to take delivery today. I did have to persist on the transfer. I emailed the paperwork last week and yesterday my advisor told me he saw nothing in the system so he pushed through the exact same form for me. Greatly appreciated!

Do I need to pay off my current car’s loan and receive title before being able to transfer FSD? I have a delivery date scheduled for the new car and can pay off my current loan before then if I have to but don’t know that I’d receive my title in time. Ideally, I’d like to be able to sell the current car privately at my own pace (essentially having the loan paid off by the buyer, likely after delivery of my new car) but if I’m reading the rules correctly, that won’t be possible.

You should not need to. For all they care you can keep the old car without FSD and continue paying the loan.

If you trade to Tesla here's the FAQ they linked to on my order. Trade-Ins | Tesla Support

Here's what they say about trading a car with a loan on it.

Can I trade in my vehicle if I’m still actively financing?
Yes. You can trade in your vehicle if you are still making finance payments. We will calculate and compare the pay-off amount and any equity (positive or negative) that will be added to your Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement.
Note: Refrain from paying off your lease or loan in full prior to trading in your vehicle. Any delays in the title receipt may delay your delivery date.

Reactions: swheat6345
Update…FSD transfer finally went through this morning, also scheduled to take delivery today. I did have to persist on the transfer. I emailed the paperwork last week and yesterday my advisor told me he saw nothing in the system so he pushed through the exact same form for me. Greatly appreciated!
Yesterday, I was able to order a Y that the rep found in stock and now I'm scrambling around to move some money around to pay for this upgrade (from a 2020 Y) and FSD transfer. He also said that the FSD could be removed up to a week before delivery. How did you know that the FSD got transferred? Did you try and use it and the car said "Sorry, no can do"?