Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered a CPO Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for this thread......I'm right now debating between a probably used (CPO) S versus a brand new Volt......certainly, the Volt is cheaper, but what did you think about it? How was it to live with daily? Other than the size.
I have a 2011 Volt and a 2015 Model S. I drove the Volt to work last week and the S this week.

Seats: advantage Volt. Of course this is a personal preference, but to me the Volt seats are far more comfortable. I'm 6'1" 220lbs.

Door handles: Volt. I hate the gimmick door handles on the S

Entrance/Egress from the driver's seat: Volt, again the S is a pain here

Ride: even

Cup holders for front seat: Volt

Storage space for driver's knick knacks: Volt

Maneuvering in parking lots/tight spaces: Volt

Pretty much all else: Model S.

You're buying used so maybe you're not getting autopilot. But in case you are, bear in mind you have to keep both hands on the wheel and be ready to take over at any moment. So, its not quite the driver's aid it should be, and one day may be. I guess I'm saying don't buy for autopilot, its just not there yet.

Picked it up today! We are too busy falling in love to say too much right now. A quick picture from the Kansas City Service Center delivery bay attached.

Attachments

• p41819-kc-service-bay.jpg
    p41819-kc-service-bay.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 83
Alright, now for a few updates.

Delivery appointment for us lasted maybe a little under an hour. We looked the car over fairly well, though didn't check every tiny detail. There were a couple of marks on the headliner and a scratch on the decor trim where the cupholders are, but otherwise looked pretty flawless. We felt that was reasonable for being slightly used. Signed the paperwork to accept as is, got a couple of complementary Tesla shirts, talked a bit longer, and then we were done. I actually stuck around briefly after pulling the S out because they had a couple of X's in the lot, I had never seen one before outside of pictures. They were nice enough to give me a quick look at it. Then we were on our way.

The car is awesome. Really happy with it so far. I was definitely rocking the Tesla grin as folks have been calling it. It was interesting driving the P85, as previously I had only test driven an S85 and a P90DL. The P85 feels a little angry compared to the smoothness of the other two. It seems to have more power than the rear tires know what to do with, and the traction control definitely works harder in this car (note: it has the Michelin Primary tires).

Highs: Performance, style (interior and exterior), touchscreen display, as a non AP car I really like the speedo, profiles (never had that in a car before), rear facing seats (really love how nicely they fold away, and the kids absolutely love them as it turns out), steering wheel controls with configurable instrument cluster, no exterior whip, wart, or fin antenna, NO SIGNIFICANT WIND BUFFETING (at least none I have noticed so far; it was terrible in my last couple of cars), and my knee doesn't rest against the center console in this car (my last car I kept a pillow in the car I would put between my knee and the instrument cluster), great rear camera, good parking sensors (so far).

Lows: No auxiliary audio in, USB audio support not as good as other cars, slow browser (though since most cars don't have such a feature at all, not sure I should count it as a low), weak wifi reception.

All in all, I thought I would really love this car, and turns out I was entirely right.

Took my first trip last night / this morning. Drove around 120 miles maybe. To see if I could really use it like any other car and push the limits, I started at 85% battery charge (what I plan on having as an around town charge limit), no range mode to start (though I did turn it on after about 40 miles), and drove like I would on any other day, which interstate speed averaging probably 73 MPH. Interior temp was set at 71 degrees F, with exterior temp around 54 degrees F if I remember correct.

Average was 373 watts / mile. Arrived with about 55 to 60 miles left. Lost maybe 3 miles overnight. Energy saving mode was off, and always connected was on.

So really, that was probably approaching a worst case. Could be made worse by more inclement weather.

Supercharged in the morning, where it started around 380V at 260 amps, stopped charging at around 190 miles range where it was pulling about 150 amps I think.

I'm reasonably happy with the result. Next time I will try to tweak some settings. Charge a little higher to start, and turn on the the energy saving options from the start. See what that gets me.

A slightly bigger battery I think would be a good thing. If I'm not careful, I may have to top off a second time on these trips (I make them frequently) before heading back home, where I really only want to charge once. A bigger battery would allow me to be more sloppy about my charging when I don't want to have to top off a second time before heading home. Not a big deal, just stating I see value in future 90, 100, and 100+ batteries.