Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
We live near Baltimore, MD and I was working with a sales advisor in DC but looks like she left Tesla. I talked to the new rep and he was helping me get a Model S. When I asked him to check on inventory models for the P60D with the configuration I was looking for, he said he couldn't find any. He also said I should go for a custom order if I want to get a MS with the new autopilot software.

But I met a new rep in Tysons this evening and he was much more motivated to sell the inventory model.

1. He indicated that I could take the delivery this year and take advantage of the tax credit sooner if I buy an inventory model.
2. He made it seem like the inventory car I was looking in the hub in Alabama does have the new AP software (contradicting what the DC rep said only new custom orders do). No delivery fees either.
3. He said the car shows 50 miles driven but it is brand new. Software showing MS inventory doesn't show miles lower than 50 for inventory cars - explanation seems a bit weird. I do not want to drive a pre-owned car if at all possible.
4. He said the car we were looking at in the inventory is actually a 75D but he will mod the software to lower the battery power and also remove the self-driving feature. This car has them both originally from the factory.
5. The new custom order car is 2K dollars more than the inventory car since the price of the MS increased recently.
6. Do you guys any other disadvantage of buying a car from the Hub - all I can see are advantages! If I can get a brand new car from the Hub for $2,000 cheaper that meets my specs and get it in December for the tax credit, why wait for 3 months? What am I missing? He said expected delivery for a custom order if Feb/March - again, seemed longer and as if he was trying hard to encourage me towards the inventory sale.
6. I was originally looking for MS in Metallic Blue until I looked at the dealership - looked a bit too blue for me. Switched to Grey.
7. Only 2 questions remain - (1) should I get smart suspension (2) lease vs buy. I will educate myself on this forum about these questions.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to TMC!

. He made it seem like the inventory car I was looking in the hub in Alabama does have the new AP software

What's the VIN of the inventory car? We might be able to look it up to see the actual specs on the Autopilot hardware.

3. He said the car shows 50 miles driven but it is brand new. Software showing MS inventory doesn't show miles lower than 50 for inventory cars - explanation seems a bit weird. I do not want to drive a pre-owned car if at all possible.

Any 'Inventory' car is not pre-owned. They are new cars, sold as new. But they might have been used as a demo or loaner car for a bit. That's reflected in the discount you're getting. If it has 50 miles, 200 or even 500 miles, I wouldn't fret about it very much. It's still a new car (not 'pre-owned'). I bought my new Inventory car with 8000 miles on it. Still pretty much in 'new' condition when I picked it up. If you want a pristine car, never touched or driven, you'll have to order one a new one.

The other advantage is that if you get the Inventory car, it comes with lifetime supercharging. You can order a car this year, and as long as you take delivery by April 1, 2017, it will also qualify. But if you order next year, or take delivery after April 1st, you loose that. See: An Update to Our Supercharging Program

Hello,
We live near Baltimore, MD and I was working with a sales advisor in DC but looks like she left Tesla. I talked to the new rep and he was helping me get a Model S. When I asked him to check on inventory models for the P60D with the configuration I was looking for, he said he couldn't find any. He also said I should go for a custom order if I want to get a MS with the new autopilot software.

But I met a new rep in Tysons this evening and he was much more motivated to sell the inventory model.

1. He indicated that I could take the delivery this year and take advantage of the tax credit sooner if I buy an inventory model.
2. He made it seem like the inventory car I was looking in the hub in Alabama does have the new AP software (contradicting what the DC rep said only new custom orders do). No delivery fees either.
4. He said the car we were looking at in the inventory is actually a 75D but he will mod the software to lower the battery power and also remove the self-driving feature. This car has them both originally from the factory.
5. The new custom order car is 2K dollars more than the inventory car since the price of the MS increased recently.
6. Do you guys any other disadvantage of buying a car from the Hub - all I can see are advantages! If I can get a brand new car from the Hub for $2,000 cheaper that meets my specs and get it in December for the tax credit, why wait for 3 months? What am I missing? He said expected delivery for a custom order if Feb/March - again, seemed longer and as if he was trying hard to encourage me towards the inventory sale.
6. I was originally looking for MS in Metallic Blue until I looked at the dealership - looked a bit too blue for me. Switched to Grey.
7. Only 2 questions remain - (1) should I get smart suspension (2) lease vs buy. I will educate myself on this forum about these questions.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

I recently switched my custom order to inventory AP2 car (you can find a thread on it here). Mine also showed 50 miles on it, but my OA verified and it has only 6 miles on it. They list 50 as minimum. It has never been driven.

They had also offered to rollback 75D to 60D and remove FSD in one of them if I wanted. I decided to go with 75 anyway.

I see no reason not to go for inventory as long as it meets your criteria what you are looking for. The OA should tell you if it has been driven or not. Mine was still at the factory hub, so it has never been driven for sure.

Hello,

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Not too surprising your sales advisor couldn't find a P60D :D

As mentioned above, you need to look at EV-CPO. It lists 63 new inventory 75Ds with FSD, all with 50 miles. If you find one you like, click on the VIN for a complete list of the options. No reason not to buy if it's what you want. All custom S models are listed for March delivery so if you want it this year you have to buy inventory. Also, there are inventory cars not listed that a good sales advisor can find.

It's not likely you will get any discount on an AP2 car. You might be able to eliminate the destination and doc fee.

They don't make grey cars anymore. They have silver and midnight silver, which is a great color.

Make sure you use someone's referral code to get a $1000 discount. There is one on the EV-CPO website.

Unless you have a clearance issue, you won't get much benefit from SAS. Not much difference in ride. ±1" difference in height from coil.

You have to determine financially whether leasing works better for you. How long will you keep it?

Your new rep in Tysons is correct. Everything he said is true. I did the same and got an inventory car from their hub in Alabama. You get the $2000 less than custom order due to the price increase two weeks ago. Just make sure they send you the spec of the car you are getting and indicate it has the 2.0 Hardware included and you are good to go.

Regarding Smart Suspension, there are 2 usages of it. Make it high to get over some rough places or driveway. Make it low to looks better. :) On the high end, it is only 1 inch different between the two at the highest point. You'll have to ask yourself if you need that extra 1 inch. :)

For lease vs buy, that's a an entire thread of it's own. lol. In short, for me, if you have a business to deduct the car expensive, and not driving too much, leasing is the way to go since you can deduct all of the leasing amount. For me, even leasing costing a lot more up front, even I buy the car after the lease, it still work out better for me. You'll have to do the tax analysis for your own situation to see which one come out better.

Oh yea, don't forget to give them a referral code to get the $1000 discount. My signature down below here has one if you don't want to look too far. lol. :D

Is the 2k discount on top of the 1k referral credit?

The $2k is not a discount. There was a $2000 increase on the 60. So, the inventory car that was made before 2 weeks ago, is $2000 cheaper. Same thing go for the pano roof. I don't remember exactly the price different. I thing it was a $500 increase. So, the inventory car could be $500 cheaper than custom build, if it was build before that price increase cut off date.

Oh, there is one more trick that I used to find inventory car. EV-CPO website is great but it did not have ANY of the inventory cars that I found when I was looking for one. Even few days after I placed my order from one of those that I found, none of those 3 that close to my build have yet to show up in the CPO site.

Go to Tesla site, do a custom build. In your case, build a 75 car. They don't have the 60 in inventory. Build out the spec you want, and it'll show you a few that close to your build. Look at the detail and make sure it has AP2 hardware. Give your sales advisor the 6 digit VIN and ask them to downgrade it to 60. Done! Enjoy! :)

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Oh, there is one more trick that I used to find inventory car. EV-CPO website is great but it did not have ANY of the inventory cars that I found when I was looking for one. Even few days after I placed my order from one of those that I found, none of those 3 that close to my build have yet to show up in the CPO site.

Go to Tesla site, do a custom build. In your case, build a 75 car. They don't have the 60 in inventory. Build out the spec you want, and it'll show you a few that close to your build. Look at the detail and make sure it has AP2 hardware. Give your sales advisor the 6 digit VIN and ask them to downgrade it to 60. Done! Enjoy! :)
Also note that there are inventory cars that are not listed anywhere. Only people at Tesla can find them. I have a great OA who helped me find a discounted brand new AP2 car that wasn't listed anywhere.

Reactions: GeekfromFRL
Welcome to TMC!
What's the VIN of the inventory car? We might be able to look it up to see the actual specs on the Autopilot hardware.
I couldn't clearly get the information from the advisor's email but I think it is 5YJSA1E22GF168448

I recently switched my custom order to inventory AP2 car (you can find a thread on it here). Mine also showed 50 miles on it, but my OA verified and it has only 6 miles on it. They list 50 as minimum. It has never been driven.

They had also offered to rollback 75D to 60D and remove FSD in one of them if I wanted. I decided to go with 75 anyway.

I see no reason not to go for inventory as long as it meets your criteria what you are looking for. The OA should tell you if it has been driven or not. Mine was still at the factory hub, so it has never been driven for sure.

Thank you Justgo. Do you see any problems in lowering the battery pack size and removing FSD rather than trying to build a car with those specs directly? I will look up your post as well.

https://ev-cpo.com/
There are 280 new Model S in US at the moment and 120 have ap 2.0 (limited ap 2.0 or full self driving)

Thank you Nagypite. I will look up the information.

Not too surprising your sales advisor couldn't find a P60D :D

As mentioned above, you need to look at EV-CPO. It lists 63 new inventory 75Ds with FSD, all with 50 miles. If you find one you like, click on the VIN for a complete list of the options. No reason not to buy if it's what you want. All custom S models are listed for March delivery so if you want it this year you have to buy inventory. Also, there are inventory cars not listed that a good sales advisor can find.

It's not likely you will get any discount on an AP2 car. You might be able to eliminate the destination and doc fee.

They don't make grey cars anymore. They have silver and midnight silver, which is a great color.

Make sure you use someone's referral code to get a $1000 discount. There is one on the EV-CPO website.

Unless you have a clearance issue, you won't get much benefit from SAS. Not much difference in ride. ±1" difference in height from coil.

You have to determine financially whether leasing works better for you. How long will you keep it?

I was getting the discount because of the car build date - I think it was before the price increase. I am not in the habit of switching cars. The previous car I owned for 6 years and the current car I have been driving for 6.5 years. I am just concerned about the software being obsolete and nobody would want to buy my car when I want to sell it - be it in 4 years or 6 years. I am guessing there are many other similar posts with this concern? I didn;t do any reading today. Been very busy.

Your new rep in Tysons is correct. Everything he said is true. I did the same and got an inventory car from their hub in Alabama. You get the $2000 less than custom order due to the price increase two weeks ago. Just make sure they send you the spec of the car you are getting and indicate it has the 2.0 Hardware included and you are good to go.

Regarding Smart Suspension, there are 2 usages of it. Make it high to get over some rough places or driveway. Make it low to looks better. :) On the high end, it is only 1 inch different between the two at the highest point. You'll have to ask yourself if you need that extra 1 inch. :)

For lease vs buy, that's a an entire thread of it's own. lol. In short, for me, if you have a business to deduct the car expensive, and not driving too much, leasing is the way to go since you can deduct all of the leasing amount. For me, even leasing costing a lot more up front, even I buy the car after the lease, it still work out better for me. You'll have to do the tax analysis for your own situation to see which one come out better.

Oh yea, don't forget to give them a referral code to get the $1000 discount. My signature down below here has one if you don't want to look too far. lol. :D
Thank you for the clarification regarding the car price and the smart suspension. I will probably drive the car with and without suspension to see the difference. I currently drive Audi Q5 and just got a loaner car (A3). I am surprised how low it feels and how close it is to the ground. I am still trying to make up my mind if it is just "different" and that is bothering me or if I just dont like the car being that low. I am used to being a bit higher. I dont think any of the Sedans would give me that kind of "view" of the road?

I couldn't clearly get the information from the advisor's email but I think it is 5YJSA1E22GF168448

Thank you Justgo. Do you see any problems in lowering the battery pack size and removing FSD rather than trying to build a car with those specs directly? I will look up your post as well.

Thank you Nagypite. I will look up the information.

Nope, there is no difference. It is just a software rollback. There are no mechanical changes done to the car.

To answer question 6, for me at least there was no benefit to order custom build. I was able to order an inventory 75D rolled back to a 60D, with less than 50mi. Also had the sunroof at the old 1500 price. A total of 2500 hidden savings from custom ordering a 60D now. Bonus it should be delivered within 2 weeks instead of the current March guesstimate for a custom build. Thanks to all posting in this thread or I would not have known about the rollback option.

Reactions: justg0
If it helps, i worked with my OA to order an inventory car last week. I got every spec I wanted. It's a 75, i didn't know about the rollback option though, I wonder how much that saves?
It does have autopilot 1 (w/ convenience) which is all I really care about. The really good news is, the best one to meet my specs was actually on the showroom floor here in Scottsdale (AZ). No delivery fees! So they took it off the floor a day later and sent it to inspection. It has 156 miles and if you believe the spec sheet I got a $6800 discount, and the 75 battery (I was originally only thinking about getting a 60 battery).

I wonder if it makes sense for me to look into rolling it back.

Reactions: wesley888
Sorry, I'll also add, that there was another car that was literally the same (within 5 miles on the odometer as well) which was $1,000 less than the one I ended up getting but it was located on the east coast. My OA was able to lower the price to match the $1,000 less price. Point being, if you find a car you like and it has low delivery fee's, make sure that the there are no similar cars priced for less. My OA explained that pricing isn't set by one central team and is done more locally so there are no standards.