Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering SR Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a SR, for some reason I thought it could be upgraded to a full SR+ at a later date not sure where I got that in my head but my Tesla rep is saying no upgrade after purchase. Can anyone confirm this? I guess it sort of makes sense as a way to try and force you to get SR+

I think autopilot or FSD can still be added later for a hefty fee.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
I would print the blog post out with a time stamp (for what it’s worth) as those have changed after the fact sometimes!

But the SR is completely a software limited SR+. That’s how they created it so it doesn’t really cost them what it would cost to make a ‘real’ SR with different parts.

I'm still not clear if adding AP to a Standard at the time of order will cost $2000 or $3000 (it only adds $2000 to the SR+ price, but sales advisors are saying it would be $3000 to add to the Standard). :confused:

AP is an extra $3K on the SR and LR RWD. AP is included in the SR+, LR AWD, LR Performance, all of which increased by $2,000 in base price to reflect the addition of AP.

I ordered the SR by walking into a store. They made me purchase the SR+ on the website and put down the $2500 deposit. I then had to chase them afterwards for a few days to downgrade it to the SR and then remove the autopilot to remove the extra $3000 charge.

My car came with 2019.7.105 firmware and just updated to 2019.12.1.1 and I still have the 240 mile range, immersive sound, and fog lights.

I don't doubt the ability to upgrade from an SR back to an SR+ will come later, it's just they haven't made all the plumbing to do that yet. They are flying by the seat of their pants and making it up as they go.

Tesla should just offer the Model 3 in one configuration. They will swap out the rims, seat covers or wrap it according to your preference. AWD is installed, but software disabled. You buy it for the Canadian $25K price, pay for the lower car registration and upgrade as you need it. Maybe you can buy things for shorter time periods. I would only want to pay for AWD on snow days and rear seat heaters when someone was sitting back there on a cold day.

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on a SR, for some reason I thought it could be upgraded to a full SR+ at a later date not sure where I got that in my head but my Tesla rep is saying no upgrade after purchase. Can anyone confirm this? I guess it sort of makes sense as a way to try and force you to get SR+

I think autopilot or FSD can still be added later for a hefty fee.
So I couldn't get an email from Tesla sales would only talk to me on the phone. They said the blog post is wrong straight up. Asked an "advisor" said the same thing no upgrade to SR+ from SR. I don't trust car sales people, but I don't think I can get anything more definite than that from Tesla. This whole experience leaves a bad taste in my mouth, reconsidering the whole thing now.