Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oregon Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But that's not correct either. Those other stations have a choice of either CHAdeMO or CCS-- NEITHER of which Tesla sells an adapter for now. So it's not lazy. It's the unavailability of the actual equipment to be able to use those stations.
Tesla already sells the CCS adapter in South Korea and plans to sell them in North America.

Tesla has also previously sold the CHAdeMO adapter in North America.

OP's complaint is that he would need to create accounts to use those charging stations, not that he cannot get an adapter.

Tesla already sells the CCS adapter in South Korea and plans to sell them in North America.
...reiterating my point. Tesla DOES NOT sell that adapter here--you know--Oregon, where this thread is about.
Tesla has also previously sold the CHAdeMO adapter in North America.
...again, DOES NOT sell it.
OP's complaint is that he would need to create accounts to use those charging stations, not that he cannot get an adapter.
There are more than just one problem there. He mentioned one problem with it, and I mentioned another problem. They are both real. I keep wondering what's your deal with this pattern of denying reality I see you do across a lot of threads.

Reactions: DblOSmith
...reiterating my point. Tesla DOES NOT sell that adapter here--you know--Oregon, where this thread is about.

...again, DOES NOT sell it.

There are more than just one problem there. He mentioned one problem with it, and I mentioned another problem. They are both real. I keep wondering what's your deal with this pattern of denying reality I see you do across a lot of threads.
The "reality" is that the "problem" that you mentioned is of Tesla's own making.

Tesla is the one making and selling the adapters (or not).

There are already charging stations available.

Good grief. Your moving the goalposts is getting tiring.

The "reality" is that the "problem" that you mentioned is of Tesla's own making.

Tesla is the one making and selling the adapters (or not).
So now you're saying it's Tesla's fault because they don't sell the adapters.

But in last week's episode:

you are too "lazy" to create accounts to use existing charging stations.
You said it was just this person's fault being too lazy to use the existing stations. And we had to correct that by pointing out that Tesla doesn't offer the adapters to be able to use them.

There is no need to have Superchargers everywhere.
There are already charging stations available.
Tesla can address this either way they want, but they need to do one of these to make charging available to their customers: either sell the adapters for other companies' stations, or build the Superchargers to provide that coverage. As it is, they are failing to do either and therefore leaving gaps that are hard to travel.

Wrong again.

My point has always been: there are other options to fast charge besides the Supercharger.

Tesla is not selling adapters now, but Tesla has sold them in the past.

It is certainly possible to obtain one used.

You said it was just this person's fault being too lazy to use the existing stations. And we had to correct that by pointing out that Tesla doesn't offer the adapters to be able to use them.
The OP himself said so.

I haven't ever used one of the "other" chargers ... I know I would have to first create
an account with them and then log in to that charging network and then charge - it's
just so much easier to simply plug in - without even having to figure out which
adapter to use. I guess I'm just too "lazy" to go to all that extra effort. *W*

Tesla can address this either way they want, but they need to do one of these to make charging available to their customers: either sell the adapters for other companies' stations, or build the Superchargers to provide that coverage. As it is, they are failing to do either and therefore leaving gaps that are hard to travel.
No disagreement there.

The most obvious and cost-effective is the former.

There are other fast chargers.

Albany has an Electrify America charging station and an ECVS charging station.

McMinnville has an ECVS charging station.

There is no need to have Superchargers everywhere.
There are other charging stations but I think we all agree that they all fall short in user ease of use & reliability. Tesla‘s charging network is usually accepted as the one that the other companies emulate. An important reason for more in the Willamette Valley is that the in car navigation system is going to send a driver to the nearest station on a given route. Putting chargers on secondary roads gives more flexibility traveling throughout the valley. Corvallis has sign transportation routes that intersect & serves as a crossroad. That’s why I think it’s important for a superchanger.

There are other charging stations but I think we all agree that they all fall short in user ease of use & reliability. Tesla‘s charging network is usually accepted as the one that the other companies emulate. An important reason for more in the Willamette Valley is that the in car navigation system is going to send a driver to the nearest station on a given route. Putting chargers on secondary roads gives more flexibility traveling throughout the valley. Corvallis has sign transportation routes that intersect & serves as a crossroad. That’s why I think it’s important for a superchanger.
Tesla already added EVgo charging stations to the Tesla navigation system, so Tesla can easily add other charging networks.

As for Plug and Charge, Tesla can set up a backend to accept customers' bills from other charging networks.

So really, the bill is in Tesla's court.

You should see the charging kit we travel with when on road trips.
We have the Chademo adapter, we should have the Tesla CCS1 adapter in less than two weeks.

The Mobile charger with all of the Tesla adapters.
All of the evseadapters adapters for the Tesla mobile charger for example:
etc.

I have accounts set up with 14 charging apps and a number of RFID cards from the vendors that provide them. My job is to make sure that charging happens and I don't strand myself and my wife someplace, that with a little planning could be avoided.

that with a little planning could be avoided.
Your idea of what qualifies as "a little" is odd. That sounds more like obsessive collecting for fun, but it is impressive. I didn't quite know there were 14 different charging network companies here in the U.S.

But I'll repeat something I've said before. Teleporting doesn't exist. So it's not possible to just suddenly "find yourself" somewhere, needing to plug into something. You've been driving for a couple of hours to get there. And there just aren't many places in the U.S. that aren't in range of any city or campsite with a few of the normal kinds of connections. Would you really just wake up and need to plug into a CS8365 or L6-20 receptacle with no notice? I just don't believe that's possible.

Maybe you were being a little lighthearted in mentioning the outlandish lengths you have gone to, but I feel it is inappropriately scaring new EV owners to describe how needing to spend hundreds of dollars buying 50+ weird adapters is simply wisely being prepared, like it's something they need to do. It is insanely over-the-top unnecessary, and is just scaring people to say it's normal or useful.

Last edited:
Until an adapter is widely available most of us will be limited to J-1772 charging away from the Tesla network & I want faster charging than that. That’s why most of us stay in the Tesla network. Whether or not Tesla makes adapters is above my pay grade as a consumer. I saw a video today on the YouTube channel “Out of Spec Reviews “ that demonstrated a Tesla to CCS1 adapter but only a handful have been made. The person that created it was from Ukraine & he is not able to produce more due to sthe war. Plus, the adapter is limited to 2022 model year cars. Developing the network in cities with smaller populations like Corvallis or McMinnville will help with market penetration in non urban areas. I’m concerned about opening the Tesla network to other brands unless those companies help to fund Tesla superchargers. I’m glad to see competition with other brands & charging providers but I want it to be a balanced set of rules.

Until an adapter is widely available most of us will be limited to J-1772 charging away from the Tesla network & I want faster charging than that. That’s why most of us stay in the Tesla network. Whether or not Tesla makes adapters is above my pay grade as a consumer. I saw a video today on the YouTube channel “Out of Spec Reviews “ that demonstrated a Tesla to CCS1 adapter but only a handful have been made. The person that created it was from Ukraine & he is not able to produce more due to sthe war. Plus, the adapter is limited to 2022 model year cars. Developing the network in cities with smaller populations like Corvallis or McMinnville will help with market penetration in non urban areas. I’m concerned about opening the Tesla network to other brands unless those companies help to fund Tesla superchargers. I’m glad to see competition with other brands & charging providers but I want it to be a balanced set of rules.
My 2020 Model Y has CCS1 support built-in. I have the official CC1 adapter on order from South Koria.

Even if I had CCS support I’d avoid use of the other networks. Lack of preconditioning makes those networks less useful. I doubt that Tesla will ever change their software to allow it because of the instability of 3rd party charging systems. Whether we like it or not Tesla has set up these cars to work best in the supercharger network. That’s why I want to see the network expand around secondary roads.

I doubt that Tesla will ever change their software to allow it because of the instability of 3rd party charging systems
I think they have already changed it for cars in Europe. And even for cars in North America for EVGo sites that have the built-in CHAdeMO adapter. So I fully think that they will have third-party charging sites listed in the navigation and support preconditioning for them.

I started this thread. I think the fact that I was wanting to be away from my home, for
several days, is the key thing. I have never used the supercharger here in my town. I
don't live in a city - its a small town. I charge at home when here. But when I went to
Corvallis and McMinnville I was a non-local. Those are the people that use superchargers -
not the locals.
I agree with the "scares people off" when you start talking about carrying more than 2 or 3
adapters and needing to be able to use more than that many "alternative charging stations".

It seems to me - simple minded fellow that I am - that the need for a special adapter for
each different charging network is just plain silly/wrong. Come on industry - develop a
standard plug and adopt it! Oh yes, I forgot, I need a different adapter for my phone,
my Ring, my sprinkler system, my FitBit ... do all these guys really think they are developing
customer loyalty by having their own plugs?
- Jim in the PNW

I started this thread. I think the fact that I was wanting to be away from my home, for
several days, is the key thing. I have never used the supercharger here in my town. I
don't live in a city - its a small town. I charge at home when here. But when I went to
Corvallis and McMinnville I was a non-local. Those are the people that use superchargers -
not the locals.
I agree with the "scares people off" when you start talking about carrying more than 2 or 3
adapters and needing to be able to use more than that many "alternative charging stations".

It seems to me - simple minded fellow that I am - that the need for a special adapter for
each different charging network is just plain silly/wrong. Come on industry - develop a
standard plug and adopt it!
Oh yes, I forgot, I need a different adapter for my phone,
my Ring, my sprinkler system, my FitBit ... do all these guys really think they are developing
customer loyalty by having their own plugs?
- Jim in the PNW
There is already such a standard.

It is called CCS (Combined Charging System).

It is what all the other automakers other than Tesla use.

There is already such a standard.

It is called CCS (Combined Charging System).

It is what all the other automakers other than Tesla use.
Apart from in China and Japan, of course.

In any case, the plug isn't the problem. The price and availability of EVs is the biggest problem. The lack of foresight by charging networks is a problem. The failure of some standards to include plug & charge/quickcharge from the start is a problem.

There are 3 different "standards" for ICEVs and nobody talks about it as a problem because the infrastructure is there for it. And the infrastructure is there because there are lots of ICEVs. Payment method is well known, and you don't need a smartphone and signal. or a dedicated payment card (There are some other "standards" and they aren't very common, because there aren't many vehicles that use them.)

More EVs, more chargers. More experience, stupid decisions get fixed, bad networks disappear or get taken over.

Reactions: bruce4000
Looks like Bordman is open! Seems like the Interstates, I5, I84 SC are covered now. With Madras under way, wish Tesla would put one in Florence on 101. Coming soon map does not show one planned? I mean who drives the Oregon Coast on 101 in the summer…..
Bruce4000,
This is the very problem I was reporting on when I started this thread. The state has "good" coverage - if you are driving thru and/or
staying in a major city. The problem happens when - as a visitor to an area - you are not on the I-5 or 101 corridors and are instead
doing activities there in that area. My original wake up to this was when I was going to be in Corvallis for several days and after
that in McMinnville and then going North to Sequim, Wa. What I discovered was that - in Corvallis for example - you have to go to
either Salem or Eugene to get to a supercharger.
Let me make this perfectly clear - the destination chargers do not really work -unless- you are staying at the hotel where
they are located. They are both slower and a smaller number of stations. So you end up having to "sit around and wait in
order to get your car charged". Even if you are staying at the hotel - getting charged is not as easy/simple as when you
have access to a supercharger where you can pretty much get a full charge in the time it takes to eat a meal.
- Jim in the PNW