Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oregon Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, the Tesla map Fall 2013 looks like Roseburg and Medford/Ashland. With Springfield as a Winter 2013 fill in.

The seeming acceleration of Springfield may again be due to the ease of negotiating with the rights holders. Like the Elmers deal in Woodburn. I bet this pattern will continue.

- - - Updated - - -

Too close is much better than too far.
I'll take an SC anywhere they put it but this one really doesn't help the west coast supercharger highway that much. Would much rather see a southern OR charger next. We still need the Fall 2013 sites to make the Vancouver to San Diego trip. But it's probably all about the realities of negotiations.

Last edited:
If someone were to use the Roadster stations as a template, they would put facilities in Centralia, Portland, Eugene, Canyonville, Yreka, and Orland. The superchargers now installed or planned for Centralia and Springfield pretty much fit that template. Woodburn is the odd one out, but then it's not likely that TM would put a supercharger in Portland. By this logic, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a supercharger in Canyonville: good exits, plenty of space, and lots of activities to keep you busy. Of course, that would also mean the most northerly California supercharger would need to be pretty far north as well, for example Yreka. Just a thought, completely ignoring TM's proposed map.

That's a good location in Eugene/Springfield (cause it's actually in Springfield), it's just off the freeway and net door to a better than decent brew pub called Hop Valley. Now, I'm not saying that one should get loaded while one's car is charging but having a pint would be a decent way to pass the time while one charges up.

Close by their's also an Elmer's, Ihop, McDonald's, Panda Express, Jimmy John's, Cafee Yumm, Starbucks and more.

I doubt I'll have occasion to use it all that often but I'll certainly be there for the opening and it will be nice to be able to pick up some range should an unexpected trip present itself (I usually only charge to about half).

That's a good location in Eugene/Springfield (cause it's actually in Springfield), it's just off the freeway and net door to a better than decent brew pub called Hop Valley. Now, I'm not saying that one should get loaded while one's car is charging but having a pint would be a decent way to pass the time while one charges up.

Close by their's also an Elmer's, Ihop, McDonald's, Panda Express, Jimmy John's, Cafee Yumm, Starbucks and more.

I doubt I'll have occasion to use it all that often but I'll certainly be there for the opening and it will be nice to be able to pick up some range should an unexpected trip present itself (I usually only charge to about half).

Whenever I look through the descriptions of what's around a supercharger site, all I read is bla, bla, bla, bla, Starbucks, bla, bla.
I really can't see myself drinking ANYTHING alcoholic when doing a road trip in my Tesla. And I don't tend to like the food choices (McD? Panda Express? Ihop? YUCK) anyway... and in my limited experience, walking to Starbucks, getting a latte, taking a bio break and walking back tends to get me back exactly when the car is ready to continue. Yes, with a 208V/30A charger I would like a fine dining restaurant right there where I can have a 3h seven course dinner. But a supercharger? All I need is a Starbucks.

Whenever I look through the descriptions of what's around a supercharger site, all I read is bla, bla, bla, bla, Starbucks, bla, bla.
I really can't see myself drinking ANYTHING alcoholic when doing a road trip in my Tesla. And I don't tend to like the food choices (McD? Panda Express? Ihop? YUCK) anyway... and in my limited experience, walking to Starbucks, getting a latte, taking a bio break and walking back tends to get me back exactly when the car is ready to continue. Yes, with a 208V/30A charger I would like a fine dining restaurant right there where I can have a 3h seven course dinner. But a supercharger? All I need is a Starbucks.
Isn't it great that we have varied interests and tastes?

When I see Starbucks listed at a SC site, I don't say "yuck", but rather " so what". I might say "yuck" for a nearby Denny's or McDonald's, but for sure I'll say "hooray" if there is a place like Hop Valley or Bob's Burgers and Beer at Burlington. You don't have to drink the brewski, you know.:smile:

It looks to me like the SC site selection team (if there actually is such a thing) is looking for at least a coffee shop, a restaurant and some stores. 30-60 minutes time worth. Definitely some sort of bio-break location in those. Round the clock is better. All within a few minutes drive of a freeway exit. That really narrows down their choices.

It looks to me like the SC site selection team (if there actually is such a thing) is looking for at least a coffee shop, a restaurant and some stores. 30-60 minutes time worth. Definitely some sort of bio-break location in those. Round the clock is better. All within a few minutes drive of a freeway exit. That really narrows down their choices.

Yeah, that seems to sum it up. So let's apply those to the Southern Oregon assumed supercharger locations and see what we come up with... :)

Yeah, I've gone through google maps a couple of times trying to guess what municipalities to check for permits. Mind you, google doesn't always show everything that is there.

The Medford/Ashland ones are exit 14 in Ashland, exit 21 in Talent, exit 24 in Medford/Phoenix, exits 27 and 30 in Medford and exit 33 in Central Point. Exit 30 looks the best fit to me - lots of coffee shops, restaurants and hotels near by.

Roseburg/Sutherlin - exit 119 (who could resist Quickie Coffee but there's only an Arbys according to google), exit 125 (Elmers!). Exit 124 has restaurants but no coffee shop really close. Exit 136 in Sutherlin looks pretty good. If they are willing to site an SC on SR 99, there are a few more sites within a mile of I5 that would work but so far they have stuck pretty close to the main highway.

Yeah, I've gone through google maps a couple of times trying to guess what municipalities to check for permits. Mind you, google doesn't always show everything that is there.

The Medford/Ashland ones are exit 14 in Ashland, exit 21 in Talent, exit 24 in Medford/Phoenix, exits 27 and 30 in Medford and exit 33 in Central Point. Exit 30 looks the best fit to me - lots of coffee shops, restaurants and hotels near by.

Roseburg/Sutherlin - exit 119 (who could resist Quickie Coffee but there's only an Arbys according to google), exit 125 (Elmers!). Exit 124 has restaurants but no coffee shop really close. Exit 136 in Sutherlin looks pretty good. If they are willing to site an SC on SR 99, there are a few more sites within a mile of I5 that would work but so far they have stuck pretty close to the main highway.
I was thinking Exit 14 in Ashland. There's a Starbucks by the Rodeway Inn. There's also Wild Goose Cafe and Bar, a Teriyaki place, a Mexican restaurant, Subway, Taco Bell, etc. This would fit very much into their usual pattern.

You are correct, of course, but they don't waste much time putting new locations on their maps. I note the Woodburn SCs are now shown, but not very accurately located.

It's funny, Google is crowd sourced and people put in all sorts of corrections to maps. It looks like someone did and they fixed it! They also have the correct address. This is one reason why I want integration between google services and my tesla. In general, crowd sourcing beats other forms of data collection.
woodburn.png

Duplicate post from "Supercharger Progress" thread:

We stopped by the Springfield, OR site this morning on the way back from San Francisco. We would the telltale ADK paint marks on the pavement in the far corner of the front parking lot at the Holiday Inn and Suites there.

Here are a series of photos of the site:

The exact location; our Model S is parked in one of the future Supercharger spots:
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1379952833.404877.jpg

Here is where we first parked near the existing transformer and first markings for the feed:
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1379952850.770362.jpg

Here are the row of six spots that seem to be designated for the charging stalls:
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1379952898.695715.jpg

Here is the spot marked for the equipment:
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1379952947.296856.jpg

I hope our Oregonian colleagues will have a chance to keep an eye on this. Looks like ETA is about three weeks, based on other ADK jobs.

Last edited:
Wow... it's so close to Woodburn that I could skip it and go straight to Centrailia...
Really? That's 200 miles, many of which with a 70mph speedlimit (so everyone driving about 80mph).
Even in an 85 that would require you to charge to a rather high SOC before leaving - not sure that would be worth it as the charge will slow down... wouldn't it make more sense to only charge to about 70% and stop in Woodburn briefly?

I just did a search through Oregon's online permits for our favorite electrical contractor ADK and ...

Thanks, goneskiian :)

I heard a TM employee let slip Grants Pass, along with this Eugene/Springfield location.

Hmm, we are going to have to keep an eye out. Now if only we had someone who knew for sure...

Duplicate post from "Supercharger Progress" thread:

We stopped by the Springfield, OR site this morning on the way back from San Francisco. We would the telltale ADK paint marks on the pavement in the far corner of the front parking lot at the Holiday Inn and Suites there.

Here are a series of photos of the site:

Great pictures! We look forward to more.

Last edited: