Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Organize your UMC!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Plus one for $0.25 of worth of Velcro.
Tesla.jpg

Not sure why it uploads sideways.

Plus one for $0.25 of worth of Velcro.

Not sure why it uploads sideways.

Be very careful about operating the UMC or HPWC cable in too tight a bundle. Tesla uses a noticeably smaller wire in both units than the NEC requires (about half the copper). As most have probably noticed, when operating these units at max current (40A for UMC, 80A for HPWC), even if there are not hot spots in connectors, etc, the wire gets warm to the touch. That is in an open environment with good air circulation.

If you wind the cable into a tight bundle during operation, the heat generated gets multiplied by the multiple passes of the cable, and the outside surface area only goes up a little. More heat with only a little more dissipation means higher temperatures in the cable. A few loose loops over the holder is probably OK, but I would worry about operation with even a fraction of that tight, neat bundle of UMC cable still on the wall.

Sometimes a disorganized mess of cable can be cooler and safer. :wink:

Be very careful about operating the UMC or HPWC cable in too tight a bundle. Tesla uses a noticeably smaller wire in both units than the NEC requires (about half the copper). As most have probably noticed, when operating these units at max current (40A for UMC, 80A for HPWC), even if there are not hot spots in connectors, etc, the wire gets warm to the touch. That is in an open environment with good air circulation.

If you wind the cable into a tight bundle during operation, the heat generated gets multiplied by the multiple passes of the cable, and the outside surface area only goes up a little. More heat with only a little more dissipation means higher temperatures in the cable. A few loose loops over the holder is probably OK, but I would worry about operation with even a fraction of that tight, neat bundle of UMC cable still on the wall.

Sometimes a disorganized mess of cable can be cooler and safer. :wink:

Thanks for pointing that out. Actually, the cable has never been uncoiled since taking it out of the bag. Still waiting on an overdue S85 so I have something to plug it into. :(

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Here is a picture of the UMC and cable plugged into a #6 RV, 14-50 extension cord. Notice the size difference, and you don't have to pick up the picture!

After operating for 15 minutes at 40 Amps, the UMC cable was noticeably warm, but the #6, RV cable was cool to the touch.

Cables.JPG

Ok Ray......now that you have teased us with that rear off-center shot of that beautiful mid-yr '63 coupe, anymore pics of the "real-McCoy" sitting next to your S?

Normally I wouldn't hijack a thread.....but since you asked.:wink: Can't wait to have my Tesla in the mix.....any day now!

And yes the Vette is a 67 as opposed to the Split Window. The Nomad in the distance was Jill's SUV that we purchased from Tim Allen.

2996_1131007673064_4712228_n.jpg
2996_1130687545061_3709640_n.jpg

Normally I wouldn't hijack a thread.....but since you asked.:wink: Can't wait to have my Tesla in the mix.....any day now!

And yes the Vette is a 67 as opposed to the Split Window.
Well, I was going to say I liked the wainscoting on the wall, but that's taken a back seat to the rest of the garage. Very nice!

The Nomad in the distance was Jill's SUV that we purchased from Tim Allen.
Presumably not the one that he dropped the I-beam on! :smile:

And yes the Vette is a 67 as opposed to the Split Window. The Nomad in the distance was Jill's SUV that we purchased from Tim Allen.

View attachment 57662View attachment 57663

...incredible.....(wiping drool off of chin).

Have you been featured in Griot's Garage catalog yet (...I see the racks/bottles in the distance)?

That's funny because when I picked up my UMC organizer I asked about the hanging electronics module, and my SC said it was okay to let it hang. I am still going yo go to HD to get some bracket for it though. Still waiting for 9/19 delivery so I have some time.

(LMB spouse)

@smsprague - I was told by the local Tesla Service Center not to let the UMC electronics module hang from the plug. They recommended a bracket from Home Depot which worked fine for us, but would be harder to mount on a concrete wall.

Ultimaker 3D printed Mennekes plug holder

I've just finished mounting this holder that was 3D printed on my Ultimaker (it was a quick rough print to test the fit, but it worked perfectly so I just mounted it).

export.png

If you have a 3D printer, the files are shared on YouMagine if you want to print one for yourself:
https://www.youmagine.com/designs/wall-mount-for-mennekes-ev-plug

This wall mount is for the vehicle-side Mennekes plug (compatible with most EU versions of the Model S/X). Mounting instructions and other info is there, too.

I wanted to keep the UMC in my car, so I'm always ready to go with a simple unplug. That's why I've built an OpenESVE based charger (inside the meter closet) with a cable fixed to the wall on my driveway. It's three-phase power and connected as per Widoh's excellent instructions (my OpenESVE switches a 4 pole relay).

I was never really happy with the cable just hanging from the wall (I had a bracket for that), but I wanted a better and more elegant way to shield it from the elements, so I designed it. You can also order a print through 3DHubs, a distributed network of 3D printers used. To get a reliable print I recommend selecting a hub that has an Ultimaker Original or Ultimaker 2 (disclaimer: Ultimaker is my company, and it's why I get to drive the Model S).

FYI: just about to go on a holiday, so not much time to answer questions a.t.m.

Attachments

• medium_Ultimaker-printed-Electric-Vehicle-plug-2.jpg
    medium_Ultimaker-printed-Electric-Vehicle-plug-2.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 620
  • medium_Ultimaker-printed-Electric-Vehicle-plug-1.jpg
    medium_Ultimaker-printed-Electric-Vehicle-plug-1.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 617
I'm struggling with this. In my garage, the UMC is adjacent to an exposed concrete wall, so I'd prefer not to drill holes into the concrete. I tried Velcro Industrial Strength Extreme: it adhered perfectly to the concrete wall, but not to the back of the UMC. I suspect that was due to the rubberized surface of the UMC. Other suggestions?

I'm struggling with this. In my garage, the UMC is adjacent to an exposed concrete wall, so I'd prefer not to drill holes into the concrete. I tried Velcro Industrial Strength Extreme: it adhered perfectly to the concrete wall, but not to the back of the UMC. I suspect that was due to the rubberized surface of the UMC. Other suggestions?

Get one of those brackets that are for sale here, then use 3M auto body tape.
UMC_bracket.jpg

Yes, I epoxied the Velcro to the UMC to overcome this. I use Velcro in my RC planes and it's just second nature to use epoxy on the batteries to make a permanent bond.