Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Other Owners in Wyoming?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ugh!!! The car I replaced got 30 mpg. Even if the model 3 was taxed at that poor of an efficiency, I would need to drive 25,000 miles a year to pay $200 in fuel tax (0.24 cents a gallon state tax). I wonder if there is a legal option here, as this is anti-competitive and punitive against eclectic vehicles .

Ugh!!! The car I replaced got 30 mpg. Even if the model 3 was taxed at that poor of an efficiency, I would need to drive 25,000 miles a year to pay $200 in fuel tax (0.24 cents a gallon state tax). I wonder if there is a legal option here, as this is anti-competitive and punitive against eclectic vehicles .

Exactly. The fee should be based on miles driven. At the flat fee of $200/year, it's about double what I pay in gasoline tax currently. Ridiculous.

Can we go show up in person and speak against it?
Yes. It will go to Senate's transportation committee, but they won't announce when it's scheduled until a day or two beforehand. You can give public comment in the committee meeting. I can try and keep track of when that will happen. My guess is that it will be in a week or so.

I spoke with my Fremont country rep Loyd Larsen this morning. He wasn't very familiar with the details, but was nice and considered my feedback. At a minimum, I think we need a fee based on average miles per year for Wyoming drivers and then work back against the most fuel efficient gas cars. $50 may have been about right in the first place.
12,000 miles/50 mpg * .24 per gallon tax = 57.60
$200 is just ridiculous.

Reactions: wreighven and pox
I spoke with my Fremont country rep Loyd Larsen this morning. He wasn't very familiar with the details, but was nice and considered my feedback. At a minimum, I think we need a fee based on average miles per year for Wyoming drivers and then work back against the most fuel efficient gas cars. $50 may have been about right in the first place.
$200 is just ridiculous.
So, since it passed the house, definitely write your senators and let them know too.

$200 is just ridiculous.

Too bad he wasn't familiar with the details. He voted for it.

• Informative
Reactions: wreighven
I'll be in Cheyenne Monday and Tuesday if it's not too late.
https://www.wyoleg.gov/Committees/2019/J08

The committee is meeting on Monday upon adjournment of the session (which is usually around 4pm, but could be earlier or later). They will be hearing the bill then. If you can't be there that late, you can also send them messages from the Senate lobby and even ask them to come out and talk to you. Ask any of the staff there and they can help you.

(also the legislature meets in the Jonah Business Center, not the Capitol Building, because it is under renovation)

Last edited:
Well, Wyoming's EV tax increase was signed into law Tuesday. Below is part of the correspondence I had with one of my better legislators who provided a perspective that was likely the rationalization for many of the votes... which basically said (diplomatically) they need money and EV owners are too insignificant to matter politically unlike energy efficient vehicle owners in general. Looks like he was right!

"Our roads and highways are built and maintained through a combination of State and Federal fuel taxes and mineral excise taxes.

Testimony in committee was that the average State fuel based use tax for the entire body of automobiles on our highways is $270 per year.

That amount did not include Federal fuel tax or excise tax revenue.

Use tax was originally charged through fuel back in the day when all automobiles burned gasoline or diesel.

The concept was that the more fuel burned, the more tax paid.

The system is not perfect.

Last year Wyoming fuel tax $212,108,767

Last year Federal fuel tax $314,330,951

Mineral Excise tax $105,148,162

Total Revenue $631,587,880

And currently, because of lower fuel use and lower excise tax, WYDOT projects a $134,000,000 deficit this year.

Which means that they will reduce highway maintenance and construction this year by that amount.

If you have a better way for users of our highways to pay for their usage, I am happy to listen.

Proposals in the past to charge per mile have failed because of the argument from drivers of fuel efficient vehicles.

I do not care how a vehicle is propelled. Gas, diesel, electric, it makes no difference to me.

For me it is a matter of users paying a fair amount for usage."

My response:

"I appreciate your analysis and understand the $134M deficit is a serious issue for Wyoming and its roads. Which is why, quite frankly, a bill projected to raise $130,000 annually seems a bit of a farce. If the objective is to pay a fair amount for usage, then charging all vehicles by mileage, vehicle weight or some combination that would address the deficit - rather than singling out EV owners to raise less than 0.1% of the needed amount - is a more effective way to address the real issue.

It seems since past proposals failed due to drivers of fuel efficient vehicles, drivers of the most fuel efficient vehicles are now to be excessively punished since their numbers are too small to matter politically. But singling out this tiny minority does nothing to solve the actual problem... The legislature can address the issue systematically rather then trying to pass legislation specific to every new vehicle technology that comes about, creating loopholes in the process."

In a couple days, I'll be driving from Evansville to Jackson. I'm going to review this thread and look at Plugshare between now and then, but I'm open to any suggestions. I have about 310 Rated Miles on a full charge, so I could maybe make it by driving really slow, but that looks like a tough leg. Also, the sun will probably be setting as I leave Casper so that won't help with range. Are the Breadboard L2s still up and running? Do they work fine even after business hours? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks pox. And Thanks again for setting those up way back when.

I've gotten behind schedule on my drive, so it looks like this portion would be after dark. Because of that, I think I'm going to go the less adventurous route of Evansville-Rock Springs. This of course is no bargain either with Rawlins being down and a 14mph SW wind (currently). I guess I could go Evansville-Laramie-Rock Springs if I really wanted to play it safe, but ugh...

If anyone is curious, I'm trying to go Evansville-Heyburn, ID to hit the new superchargers so there are some interesting options. One other preferable thing about the Rock Springs route is it puts me in Evanston and Tremonton later which are both hotel superchargers. I will probably stay at one of them which definitely saves some time in these parts (not many L2s at hotels around here). From there I'm trying to make it back home to Seattle in one shot, which is going to be another tough day but sleeping in my own bed after 3 weeks on the road is always a good motivation :)