Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of warranty concerns about Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bad. TSB's no longer applied out of warranty so I can't get my defective windshield replaced. They quoted me around $1200. I declined.

I also have bad bushings on the rear upper control arms and they quoted me $961. I declined.

All 4 of my tire pressure sensors faulted and I had to pay to get them all replaced and it was like $250/pair.

Those first 2 items seem like things that can be replaced by anyone, is that not the case?

Bad. TSB's no longer applied out of warranty so I can't get my defective windshield replaced. They quoted me around $1200. I declined.

I also have bad bushings on the rear upper control arms and they quoted me $961. I declined.

All 4 of my tire pressure sensors faulted and I had to pay to get them all replaced and it was like $250/pair.

Sorry to hear about these issues. With an extended warranty you would have almost broken even already. This is why I've always felt it's not a good idea to own this car out of warranty...

It seems nothing that goes wrong is inexpensive to fix and any repairs cost at least as much as a luxury car dealer to fix...

Does anyone know if the Extended warranty deductible ($200?) is per visit or per each issue?

Sorry to hear about these issues. With an extended warranty you would have almost broken even already. This is why I've always felt it's not a good idea to own this car out of warranty...

It seems nothing that goes wrong is inexpensive to fix and any repairs cost at least as much as a luxury car dealer to fix...

Does anyone know if the Extended warranty deductible ($200?) is per visit or per each issue?

Per issue.

Each Visit, One Time PER ISSUE.

So example, if my charge port goes (And it is), I pay $200 deductable this visit, if it goes again during the extended agreement, I do not pay on that item again. So a one off $200 for the charge port and it's set under the remaining extended agreement.

Now, If the charge port goes, the Center screen (it is as well at this time) water intrusion again into the rear hatch (it is again), and a Drivers side Ball Joint (It did) and water in rear tail lights (again...), then it would be $200 + $200 + $200 + $200 $200 =$1,000 this visit, but if these issues return under the agreement, I would not need to pay the deductible again.

However, the regional manager stated to me, if something was fixed, even under the original warranty, no matter if original warranty is expired or not, that item that was fixed was still covered for one year repair warranty. I hope I understood that correctly, if so, then my hatch water intrusion, charge port and tail lights are covered yet for free.

However, the regional manager stated to me, if something was fixed, even under the original warranty, no matter if original warranty is expired or not, that item that was fixed was still covered for one year repair warranty. I hope I understood that correctly, if so, then my hatch water intrusion, charge port and tail lights are covered yet for free.

yes they are warrantied for 1 year. one set of my TPMS sensors was actually fixed under warranty july 28 of 2014 and when I brought my car into this 1st week of july 2015 and all 4 sensors were shot, I only had to pay for one pair not 2 because it still fell under the 1 year repair warranty.

So example, if my charge port goes (And it is), I pay $200 deductable this visit, if it goes again during the extended agreement, I do not pay on that item again. So a one off $200 for the charge port and it's set under the remaining extended agreement.

Now, If the charge port goes, the Center screen (it is as well at this time) water intrusion again into the rear hatch (it is again), and a Drivers side Ball Joint (It did) and water in rear tail lights (again...), then it would be $200 + $200 + $200 + $200 $200 =$1,000 this visit, but if these issues return under the agreement, I would not need to pay the deductible again.

Yikes and all this time I thought the $200 deductible was PER VISIT. That is one horrible warranty.

The Mercedes CPO warranty by comparison has a zero deductible. As much as I love Tesla if the same car was available by both Tesla and Mercedes, I'd buy the Mercedes just for the better warranty coverage. At $200 a pop, even after paying $4,000 for an extended warranty, things can add up very quickly. Tesla of course has the market to themselves for now as they are the only premium EV manufacturer but they may need to revise their warranty policies to be more competitive with the competition if the Germans ever offer a compelling and competing EV.

Would a ball joint even be covered? I would think suspension items are normal wear and tear. Or does it cover the entire vehicle except tires and wiper blades?

Yikes and all this time I thought the $200 deductible was PER VISIT. That is one horrible warranty.

The Mercedes CPO warranty by comparison has a zero deductible. As much as I love Tesla if the same car was available by both Tesla and Mercedes, I'd buy the Mercedes just for the better warranty coverage. At $200 a pop, even after paying $4,000 for an extended warranty, things can add up very quickly. Tesla of course has the market to themselves for now as they are the only premium EV manufacturer but they may need to revise their warranty policies to be more competitive with the competition if the Germans ever offer a compelling and competing EV.

Yes, that's really a terrible deductible policy.

There's essentially a zero percent chance that I would own this car out of warranty. No way.

Those first 2 items seem like things that can be replaced by anyone, is that not the case?
Sort of. Anyone could likely replace them, but a big part of the cost is the part. To date I'm aware of no manufacturer that produces windshield glass for the Model S, so you have to buy it from Tesla. I'd have to dig up my invoice, but I want to say there was only something like 90 minutes of labor for that job, meaning the part itself is about $1k.

Probably a similar deal with the bushings, made worse here by the fact you can't just replace the relatively-inexpensive bushings. They come as an assembly from Tesla, so you have to buy the whole component. This one is likely still worth doing through a 3rd-party shop, though, as it's more labor-intensive.

The tire pressure sensors have been through several iterations, but at least the one I have has 3rd party availability for half the cost of the OEM parts.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]However, the regional manager stated to me, if something was fixed, even under the original warranty, no matter if original warranty is expired or not, that item that was fixed was still covered for one year repair warranty. I hope I understood that correctly, if so, then my hatch water intrusion, charge port and tail lights are covered yet for free.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]I've seen this noted elsewhere when people are excited to have the extended warranty. I'm still on the fence. My car has had TONS of stuff wrong with it, but with the exception of the drive unit and sunroof they've mostly been little things. Looking at my notes, if paying by the issue, my last yearly service visit would have been $1600 not including the actual yearly service. That's on top of the extended warranty cost. [/FONT]:scared:

Holy crap. I do not understand how you've had such bad luck, especially with parts that have already been repaired under warranty. This has not been my experience thus far.

Sort of. Anyone could likely replace them, but a big part of the cost is the part. To date I'm aware of no manufacturer that produces windshield glass for the Model S, so you have to buy it from Tesla. I'd have to dig up my invoice, but I want to say there was only something like 90 minutes of labor for that job, meaning the part itself is about $1k.

Yeah, mine failed the pen test under warranty and it was around $1200. Insurance picked up most.

I certainly hope that by the time a significant number of Model S's are out of warranty Tesla gets their act together, or at least is more considerate to 3rd party repair shops. As it stands now not only will it cost a fortune to own a Tesla past 50k miles but the resale values are going to tank as well to compensate.

Conversely, I just picked up my out-of-warranty Roadster (well over a year uncovered now) - new TPMS and upgraded PEM fans - the bill was $0, much to my surprise (I was fully planning to foot a large bill).

The rationale was that I had had problems with these two items while under warranty, so it was still something that they'd cover. And I'd only brought it in for the PEM upgrade, hadn't even mentioned the TPMS. They just decided to replace that when they saw an error code show up.

Conversely, I just picked up my out-of-warranty Roadster (well over a year uncovered now) - new TPMS and upgraded PEM fans - the bill was $0, much to my surprise (I was fully planning to foot a large bill).

The rationale was that I had had problems with these two items while under warranty, so it was still something that they'd cover. And I'd only brought it in for the PEM upgrade, hadn't even mentioned the TPMS. They just decided to replace that when they saw an error code show up.

And I assume the original warranty repair of the PEM and TPMS was over a year ago?

Conversely, I just picked up my out-of-warranty Roadster - new TPMS and upgraded PEM fans - the bill was $0, much to my surprise (I was fully planning to foot a large bill). The rationale was that I had had problems with these two items while under warranty, so it was still something that they'd cover. And I'd only brought it in for the PEM upgrade, hadn't even mentioned the TPMS. They just decided to replace that when they saw an error code again.

We know they took really good care of you covering non warranty items for no charge but based on some other reports of other owners not everyone is as lucky as you are :)

We know they took really good care of you covering non warranty items for no charge but based on some other reports of other owners not everyone is as lucky as you are :)

And many are. (This is about a fellow forum member.)

Tesla dismantles Roadster for owner’s repair just before warranty expires

Update: I think you might have missed my point. It's not that they took good care of me covering non-warranty items for no charge. It's that they recognized that the work they were doing was something I had had worked on a few years back while under warranty & it was a problem again. So they considered it an extension of the original work.

Last edited:
There's essentially a zero percent chance that I would own this car out of warranty. No way.

Someone has said that this might be the most expensive car to own after warranty. Not sure if that's true or not but this is probably one of the few cars where buying the extended warranty should be mandatory. Anyone buying a Tesla should factor that into the purchase.

I certainly hope that by the time a significant number of Model S's are out of warranty Tesla gets their act together, or at least is more considerate to 3rd party repair shops. As it stands now not only will it cost a fortune to own a Tesla past 50k miles but the resale values are going to tank as well to compensate.

IMHO this is an expensive car and the repairs will be expensive and that is what we are seeing.

What they should do is offer an extended warranty at a reasonable cost without an absurdly high $200 deductible for each incident. This way Tesla can pool the money to cover warranty repairs that come up and owners like Yogi aren't on the hook for thousands of dollars of out of warranty repairs. Even if he had bought an extended warranty the 3 repairs would have cost him another $600 in warranty deductibles after paying $4,000 for an extended warranty and that's not reasonable.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps they take extra good care of you :) And perhaps they are more sympathetic with Roadsters in general. Have there been any reports of Model S owner's out of warranty issues being fixed at no charge?

This is awesome, but the problem is that this is no longer guaranteed, so they can decide on a whim who gets what. It puts a lot of trust in them, and any internal policy changes to the company could easily just stop it. I don't think I could personally afford my car once the warranty runs out, and crossing your fingers and hoping they'll cover a repair that you won't be able to afford otherwise is just not responsible and will get you in trouble. On that note, getting the extended warranty should absolutely be considered mandatory.

Perhaps they take extra good care of you :) And perhaps they are more sympathetic with Roadsters in general. Have there been any reports of Model S owner's out of warranty issues being fixed at no charge?

That was my initial assumption :). And I was thanking them - but the service manager made very clear that the work they did was NOT 'special treatment' but fell squarely within the bounds of policy. But he took the 'thanks!' anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

This is awesome, but the problem is that this is no longer guaranteed, so they can decide on a whim who gets what. It puts a lot of trust in them, and any internal policy changes to the company could easily just stop it. I don't think I could personally afford my car once the warranty runs out, and crossing your fingers and hoping they'll cover a repair that you won't be able to afford otherwise is just not responsible and will get you in trouble. On that note, getting the extended warranty should absolutely be considered mandatory.

I won't disagree about being irresponsible to neither be able to afford a repair or pay for extended warranty ... then you're just running on hope.