Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of warranty concerns about Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The headlight housings have a removable weather-resistant port on the back where the bulb resides (like other HID headlight housings I've seen). I'd be extremely surprised if they went through the trouble of adding the port necessary to remove the bulb, but then made the bulb itself non-replaceable.

You can see for yourself on the damaged OEM headlight housings for sale on eBay from totaled Model S part-outs.

The headlight housings have a removable weather-resistant port on the back where the bulb resides (like other HID headlight housings I've seen). I'd be extremely surprised if they went through the trouble of adding the port necessary to remove the bulb, but then made the bulb itself non-replaceable.

You can see for yourself on the damaged OEM headlight housings for sale on eBay from totaled Model S part-outs.

At Highland Park right now. They replaced my headlight. Unfortunately I was not allowed to watch due to new policy of having customers in the shop (I understand fully!!!).

They had it replaced in about 35 minutes. Said something about front bumper being removed, but was done seemingly too quick for that. Either way, they got me in, got it changed, and now cars sitting on the supercharger (long drives today, Milwaukee to Downtown Chicago to the Chinese Consulate for a VISA, then back to Highland Park, and now back to Milwaukee to do even more running around, what one can accomplish when the Midgets are by Granny and Grandpa....)

I even got to get some hands on time with a P85D. Slower then I was expecting (mostly because I am used to the acceleration), but I am extremely impressed by the Brakes and steering. The electronic brakes and steering are great! And the car does give braking feedback to the pedal (Or so it feels) so it feels like traditional brakes. Learning curve was 15 seconds and about a 1 mile to get used to it. Still dont like the new cruise control stalk as it's too damn short. My short stubby fingers cant reach it without raising hand from wheel.

They had it replaced in about 35 minutes. Said something about front bumper being removed, but was done seemingly too quick for that. Either way, they got me in, got it changed, and now cars sitting on the supercharger (long drives today, Milwaukee to Downtown Chicago to the Chinese Consulate for a VISA, then back to Highland Park, and now back to Milwaukee to do even more running around, what one can accomplish when the Midgets are by Granny and Grandpa....).

If I recall from other threads headlight replacement requires completely front bumper disassembly so again not something most of us can do from home ourselves. I wouldn't be surprised if they did it in 35 minutes as they've probably got it down pretty quick by now.

If I recall from other threads headlight replacement requires completely front bumper disassembly so again not something most of us can do from home ourselves. I wouldn't be surprised if they did it in 35 minutes as they've probably got it down pretty quick by now.
Several repairs of my old B5 Audi S4 started with "place front bumper in service position." You pulled off the grills over the intercoolers to access 4 bolts (2 per side). Remove 1 on each side, then install threaded rods. Removed the remaining 2 and install 2 more rods. The whole bumper then slid forward several inches on the rods. Reinstalling was the reverse.

Daunting at first read, but it was actually pretty easy once you got the hang of it. If the Model S is similar, it's probably a piece of cake after you've done it a couple of times.

2. Personally, I have no interest in fixing my Model S (or any other car for that matter). I will sell the car before its warranty expires so the issue of the cost of parts should not affect me. It would be my view that the Model S is not an ideal car to run outside of warranty as the costs of parts and labour are unknown and possibly prohibitive currently. If people are considering keeping the car long term, they need to assess the risks carefully.

The difference between repairing a Model S and repairing other cars is that the Model S is modular. When an engine or transmission is repaired/rebuilt, it's now an unknown quantity because your experience will depend upon the quality of the rebuild and the number of parts replaced. Replacing a Model S drive train or battery, it's going to be the same as it was when it was new. In my opinion, this makes a big difference in how older Model S cars will be seen.

This is similar to TVs. The first TVs had to be repaired by someone who is very knowledgeable and quality of work made a big difference. When transistors came along, TVs became modular and you repaired them by just replacing a module--this is where the Model S is today. Currently most TVs are priced so that you don't bother repairing them. I suspect it will be a while before Tesla reaches this stage.

The difference between repairing a Model S and repairing other cars is that the Model S is modular. When an engine or transmission is repaired/rebuilt, it's now an unknown quantity because your experience will depend upon the quality of the rebuild and the number of parts replaced. Replacing a Model S drive train or battery, it's going to be the same as it was when it was new. In my opinion, this makes a big difference in how older Model S cars will be seen.

That's not going to be the case moving forward. Tesla has issued one or more service bulletins for drive train noise that will allow repair at the service center level. It involves disassembling the drive unit to access the bearings, which is where the repair is going to be made. My drive unit will be undergoing this exact surgery in a few weeks, and I was told a brand new drive unit will be standing by if their surgery is unsuccessful. In the future the service centers will be doing a lot more disassembling and repairing rather than swapping out modules. This is good news because nobody wants to swap out a drive unit after warranty if it's a loose screw.

This seems like unusual reasoning, even with how replacements work today, let alone in the future. How do you assert that the remanufactured motor/drivetrain going into vehicles with problems are the same as a new part, and somehow different than the remanufactured engine/transmission parts on an ICE? A remanufactured replacement battery is even less likely to be the same. Or is there an assumption that people are getting new parts? To this point they haven't been according to the battery and drivetrain replacement threads. I'm waiting on a remanufactured P drivetrain to replace my malfunctioning unit as I type this.

And as Amped said, the number of outright replacements is going to go down as Tesla gets more familiar with the problems and more comfortable letting SCs handle issues that come up.

TThis is good news because nobody wants to swap out a drive unit after warranty if it's a loose screw.
Actually I have no problem swapping parts instead of repairing them, under the assumption that Tesla offers a reasonable "core charge" for the old parts.
I do however have a problem if I have to pay for a whole new drive unit to fix a 10c screw, but if I get 95% of the cost back in "core charge" when I return the old drive unit, then I'm ok with it.

Actually I have no problem swapping parts instead of repairing them, under the assumption that Tesla offers a reasonable "core charge" for the old parts.
I do however have a problem if I have to pay for a whole new drive unit to fix a 10c screw, but if I get 95% of the cost back in "core charge" when I return the old drive unit, then I'm ok with it.
Something like 95% cost back is unlikely unless you are talking about an adjustable core charge that varies depending on what's actually broken in the old unit (not sure if there's precedence for this). But at that point, it would require diagnosis of the problem inside before they know what to charge you and probably wouldn't be too different from just fixing the problem on site (there's the issue of if they let you drive off with the refurb unit before billing you).

That's not going to be the case moving forward. Tesla has issued one or more service bulletins for drive train noise that will allow repair at the service center level. It involves disassembling the drive unit to access the bearings, which is where the repair is going to be made. My drive unit will be undergoing this exact surgery in a few weeks, and I was told a brand new drive unit will be standing by if their surgery is unsuccessful. In the future the service centers will be doing a lot more disassembling and repairing rather than swapping out modules. This is good news because nobody wants to swap out a drive unit after warranty if it's a loose screw.

Curious. What does that repair target? A drone, whirring, or clunk?

Yea this is my biggest fear especially with the center console display unit. I've had many monitors go bad on me and send it in for repair and it's like a $0.10 capacitor or something. And because the entire unit is like the whole computer etc last thing I want is to get slapped with a $6k repair bill for a $0.10 part. The drive unit won't worry me until after another 6 more years when that's out of warranty but for the rest of the car I'm at 62k miles and out of warranty already so crossing my fingers nothing breaks.

Yea this is my biggest fear especially with the center console display unit. I've had many monitors go bad on me and send it in for repair and it's like a $0.10 capacitor or something. And because the entire unit is like the whole computer etc last thing I want is to get slapped with a $6k repair bill for a $0.10 part. The drive unit won't worry me until after another 6 more years when that's out of warranty but for the rest of the car I'm at 62k miles and out of warranty already so crossing my fingers nothing breaks.
There's definitely a lot to go bad in the center console. And it's not something you can just ignore, either. If it fails, it has to be replaced. Tons of functions are touchscreen-only. It has all the problems of a touchscreen LCD, a computer, audio head unit, and video receiving unit (cameras) combined. Not only that, it runs hot. Have you felt the top of the dash after you've been driving for a while? I often hear the fans in there still going crazy after I pull into my garage.

And if my touchscreen/console fails 3-4 years from now, are they going to charge me thousands of dollars for an old Tegra 3 CPU or will they give me what is the latest and greatest at the time of the failure? So many questions...

For warranty claims they replace with refurbished parts. I would like to see them maintain this option out of warranty to drive down costs for repairs. I'm ok with replacing my console with a refurbed unit rather than the latest version if it saves me a grand or two.

I apologize if this has been covered in other threads, I did a search, and this thread seemed to be the most relevant.

For the owners that are saying they are almost out of, or are already out of their warranties at the time of this post (6 months ago.) How has your experience been in the last 6 months?

Little background on me, I came across this thread after I have seen every review, video, stat, etc on the MS (including every one of Islandbayy's videos) I don't own one yet, but I am completely fascinated/addicted/obsessed to this company and the MS. I assume they are changing the world, but this issue has me fairly worried about the longevity of their plan. I still know I am buying a used MS, but Im curious to see the experience of long term owners. I drive about 25k-30k/year miles myself, so 50k will be gone very quick (they offer a 50k mile warranty that is added to the existing mileage, when you buy directly from Tesla, which is more expensive than buying on the private market.)

I apologize if this has been covered in other threads, I did a search, and this thread seemed to be the most relevant.

For the owners that are saying they are almost out of, or are already out of their warranties at the time of this post (6 months ago.) How has your experience been in the last 6 months?

Little background on me, I came across this thread after I have seen every review, video, stat, etc on the MS (including every one of Islandbayy's videos) I don't own one yet, but I am completely fascinated/addicted/obsessed to this company and the MS. I assume they are changing the world, but this issue has me fairly worried about the longevity of their plan. I still know I am buying a used MS, but Im curious to see the experience of long term owners. I drive about 25k-30k/year miles myself, so 50k will be gone very quick (they offer a 50k mile warranty that is added to the existing mileage, when you buy directly from Tesla, which is more expensive than buying on the private market.)

Third party warranties are generally worth nothing. They usually have clauses that are almost impossible to meet and often the underwriter goes bankrupt. Some folks have paid the premiums only to find the the company selling the warrant is not the underwriter and the underwriter no longer exists.

Tesla offers extended warranties and service plans. Some folks get them and some folks don't.

Bad. TSB's no longer applied out of warranty so I can't get my defective windshield replaced. They quoted me around $1200. I declined.

I also have bad bushings on the rear upper control arms and they quoted me $961. I declined.

All 4 of my tire pressure sensors faulted and I had to pay to get them all replaced and it was like $250/pair.