Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my red Model S 70D 2 weeks ago here in the Nederlands.

All options are on except adaptive suspension and premium sound (also no AP2 hardware).
I owned a BMW 3 series 2013 before Model S, so my comparison will go strictly around that.

After 2 weeks and 3000km:

Pros
  • Car feels as 1 solid piece, much more than the 4 year old BMW but that is expected.
  • Acceleration is addictive but got used to the jolts after about 1 week
  • Amazing road handling but missing the road feedback sometimes
  • Better brakes than the BMW
  • Almost twice the cargo space as in the BMW
  • Effortless normal acceleration and driving, loosing sense of speed
  • Being able to pre-heat the car is awesome

Cons
  • Less sound isolated than the bmw, sometimes I feel I left a window slightly open when passing a big truck for example
  • Usable range is nowhere near what Tesla advertises, if you keep to the speed limits in the Nederlands (is more like 250-280km instead of 400km on a full charge)
  • Sport seats much better in the BMW, Back seat more comfortable in the BMW
  • Heater much better in the BMW (I have sometimes hot air on my side and cold air blowing in the passenger side even do the temperatures are synced)
  • No storage space in doors, really annoying but will probably get used to it
  • No lights in the parasol mirrors
  • On some places the car seems to be put together in a rush, small details like gaps, leather stiches, rubber seals, etc
Attached some pictures:

Reaching for a wall charger using summon function
Charging in Luxembourg
Charging at Amsterdam supercharger
My daughter playing with her new iPad

Attachments

• Poza 1.jpg
    Poza 1.jpg
    440 KB · Views: 479
  • poza 2.JPG
    poza 2.JPG
    330.4 KB · Views: 465
  • poza 3.JPG
    poza 3.JPG
    335.9 KB · Views: 463
  • poza 4.JPG
    poza 4.JPG
    337.7 KB · Views: 470
@Milhai -- your daughter is adorable. My daughter LOVED the screen as well in the demo model. I'm sure she'll be attacking the screen once I get my car. I bought a screen protector from Abstract Ocean specifically with that in mind.

About your range issues -- I'm shocked that you are not getting more than 350km in actual range. Is it very cold there? I drive a leaf (EPA rated 86 mile range) and even in Chicago weather (currently -4C) I get the 86 mile range even with the heat on as long as I drive <70mph. Tesla is a heavier car but it still sticks basically within the EPA rated range (70d should do 230 miles). Do you drive with a heavy foot (aka accelerate hard) and do you have regen set to standard (vs. low)? There are myriad things you can change to boost your range but most will result in less fun if you aren't accustomed to driving in that manner. Either way, enjoy your new ride!

@Milhai -- your daughter is adorable. My daughter LOVED the screen as well in the demo model. I'm sure she'll be attacking the screen once I get my car. I bought a screen protector from Abstract Ocean specifically with that in mind.

About your range issues -- I'm shocked that you are not getting more than 350km in actual range. Is it very cold there? I drive a leaf (EPA rated 86 mile range) and even in Chicago weather (currently -4C) I get the 86 mile range even with the heat on as long as I drive <70mph. Tesla is a heavier car but it still sticks basically within the EPA rated range (70d should do 230 miles). Do you drive with a heavy foot (aka accelerate hard) and do you have regen set to standard (vs. low)? There are myriad things you can change to boost your range but most will result in less fun if you aren't accustomed to driving in that manner. Either way, enjoy your new ride!

Thanks for the compliment :).

I drive normal Dutch, Belgium highway speed limits of anywhere between 100km/h to 130km/h (or 60mph-85mph)
My 100% charge is 355 km typical but i never got more than 275km.
Temperature here is slightly above freezing and the heater is always on 23 degrees celsius on AUTO.
I think I will get the 355km typical if I drive 5 meters behind a truck with 90km/h (55mph) for the entire trip.

@Mihai -- yes I think temperature is the main issue (battery is less efficient and heat costs lots of range). The Leaf uses a heat pump that is very efficient. Not sure about Tesla as I haven't received mine yet (soon!). Either way, keep an eye on your range as it turns to spring and it should be much better. Also try using seat warmers instead of heat if you need a bit more range to reach a charger or a destination. Either way I hope that range never proves to be too limited.

Took delivery of my red Model S 70D 2 weeks ago here in the Nederlands.

All options are on except adaptive suspension and premium sound (also no AP2 hardware).
I owned a BMW 3 series 2013 before Model S, so my comparison will go strictly around that.

After 2 weeks and 3000km:

Pros
  • Car feels as 1 solid piece, much more than the 4 year old BMW but that is expected.
  • Acceleration is addictive but got used to the jolts after about 1 week
  • Amazing road handling but missing the road feedback sometimes
  • Better brakes than the BMW
  • Almost twice the cargo space as in the BMW
  • Effortless normal acceleration and driving, loosing sense of speed
  • Being able to pre-heat the car is awesome

Cons
  • Less sound isolated than the bmw, sometimes I feel I left a window slightly open when passing a big truck for example
  • Usable range is nowhere near what Tesla advertises, if you keep to the speed limits in the Nederlands (is more like 250-280km instead of 400km on a full charge)
  • Sport seats much better in the BMW, Back seat more comfortable in the BMW
  • Heater much better in the BMW (I have sometimes hot air on my side and cold air blowing in the passenger side even do the temperatures are synced)
  • No storage space in doors, really annoying but will probably get used to it
  • No lights in the parasol mirrors
  • On some places the car seems to be put together in a rush, small details like gaps, leather stiches, rubber seals, etc
Attached some pictures:

Reaching for a wall charger using summon function
Charging in Luxembourg
Charging at Amsterdam supercharger
My daughter playing with her new iPad

My Nissan Leaf is rated at 80 miles I get 50 in January and 100 in the summer. Although I have heard that European laws are optimistic wHen calculating miles of range.

Only one issue for us on pickup. The front fascia had been scraped. I only noticed because I got my head all the way to the ground to figure out how to put the tow hook in since someone here had mentioned doing that before you really need it. The black plastic and some of the blue painted body was scraped. I can go back for a loaner sometime to fix it. Problem is that we're 2 hours away from DC and I like to avoid the traffic there. Might go the 2.5 hours to Raleigh instead. We'll see.

Now to the good stuff. THE CAR IS FREAKIN' INCREDIBLE. TO DRIVE. TO SIT IN. TO CHARGE. TO LET FRIENDS DRIVE. WOW. Can't say enough good things. Big props to my wife for dealing with me this long on the decision of whether or not to buy. She's embraced it all after initially finding faults. So thanks to her for keeping an open mind. She actually had us drive the whole way from DC to Richmond in December with the sunroof open. Her idea. What a blast!

Also big props to all of you here at TMC for all the advice and for giving me stuff to read during the wait for the car to be built and delivered.
Car 1.jpg Car 3.jpg Car 6.jpg Car 7.jpg

So picked up my new car this past Tuesday, the guys at Dedham were great. Unfortunately they were having a problem with a Model X delivery, something to do with the tow hitch and so my delivery was outside in the damn cold at 4pm in the dark. Wasn;t happy about that.

That said my kids and I all used our iPhone torch light to check the car over completely and the tech went through everything in detail.

We got the normal bag of swag, umbrella, mug and pen. The kids got a hat each.

We were delayed though and delivery took longer than they told us. My son was late for his soccer game so I got hell for that. (My son is 10 and my daughter 12).

I haven't had time to get pics this week beyond the one in my profile pic as its been so dark when I leave for work and dark when I return :(

Loving the car. Do wish that
1) The drivers seat would go lower, I have the upgraded seats and I really love sitting really low in a car (previous car was an Audi S5).
2) USB on 8.0 I want to be able to favorite folders, artists or albums, not just individual songs.
3) Navigate swipe, gives me either Home or Work depending on where I am. I want to see both
4) I want to be able to default what the my left and right display goes to if I don't have a route planned, currently it goes to the clock which I don't care about
5) I want those AP2 features now :)