Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So disappointed right now. It's been a few days of highs and lows and I just wanted to vent to see if anyone else had delivery issues like this.

I was supposed to get my Tesla on Monday, called DS who said it's already in so I got it moved to Saturday. However, there was some damage to the front passenger side bumper during transportation so he said I could either wait for two weeks for a new bumper or pick up on Saturday and bring back. I of course chose to pick it up Saturday and then bring it back in two weeks to get the new bumper installed.

Now I just got a call that first, they don't have replacement bumpers since it's the new bumper, so I have to settle for them to just repair the current one (this didn't concern me too much as I just picked the 2 year lease). Second, they didn't wait on my confirmation and started work already so I can only pick up Tuesday next week :(

I'm reading so many cases of damage during transportation, is this normal?
What new bumper? Autopilot 2.0 new bumper with radars?!

So disappointed right now. It's been a few days of highs and lows and I just wanted to vent to see if anyone else had delivery issues like this.

I was supposed to get my Tesla on Monday, called DS who said it's already in so I got it moved to Saturday. However, there was some damage to the front passenger side bumper during transportation so he said I could either wait for two weeks for a new bumper or pick up on Saturday and bring back. I of course chose to pick it up Saturday and then bring it back in two weeks to get the new bumper installed.

Now I just got a call that first, they don't have replacement bumpers since it's the new bumper, so I have to settle for them to just repair the current one (this didn't concern me too much as I just picked the 2 year lease). Second, they didn't wait on my confirmation and started work already so I can only pick up Tuesday next week :(

I'm reading so many cases of damage during transportation, is this normal?
What new bumper?!

So I took delivery today and I am extremely happy.

full

The whole process went pretty smoothly. I was very happy with the local DS who went above and beyond to make me happy. My first actual assigned DS was great, but she had to take a leave to take care of family. The second DS assigned to me was in a different state and just plain sucked - terrible communicator. But I extremely happy with the DS in Devon, PA.

I did find a couple very small defects; a small panel on the side of the pano had a tiny imperfection, so they just replaced the whole piece, and there was an ever so tiny scratch on the exterior body that they couldn't completely buff out right then and there. DS offered me to go to one of their certified body shops to get it fixed for sure, but I honestly barely see it and I'm sure I'll have bigger scratches in a couple of months (especially with kids). Instead I asked if I can get some Tesla gear, and scored some shirts. :D And of course got a gift bag with an umbrella, pin, pen, and mug.

Autopilot. Fantastic. I used it on the way home, and not just on the turnpike but also on a smaller, single-lane local road. It worked really well. Better than I expected, in fact. Would be nice though if it detected the stop signs and handled that stop and go on its own.

I haven't seen where to access Spotify yet. Would be nice to get that sooner than later. I don't have a premium sound system, so I'm stuck without XM. :( I use the phone now to listen to Opie & Jim, but if someone knows of a way to stream that through Internet radio (or some other way?), I'd love to hear about it.

I got the base config - 60. After driving around in it for a couple of hours, I really don't get why people want the performance configs. I guess some just feel that need for speed. I don't really care that much, the 60 is plenty!

Blew my kids' minds with the summon feature. First time they've ever seen a car move on its own without a human inside. ;)

My newly-installed NEMA 14-50 outlet is working perfectly to charge up Elmo. DS said they still recommend partial charging, not 100%, for daily use. Wasn't technical enough for me to even get info the whole top vs. bottom charging of a software-locked 75 question.

Overall, I'm very happy. That long, painful wait had already been forgotten. :D

Congratulations! A beautiful car!
I believe XM has the internet dtreaming but it is an extra charge.
I love the internet radio with Slacker. Sometimes has trouble connecting but it usually works well.
I did the summon with 2 of my kids in the car and they were shocked. Loved it of course.
As far as the charging confusion, I don't think the Tesla staff know anymore about it then we do. Probably less.
I have had the car for 3 weeks now and I can already sense the car has learned lessons. AP just gets better with use.
One more thing: This car takes off like a rocket! 60D or not , it is fast!

• Helpful
Reactions: fallen888
IMG_2845.jpg
I finally got my Model S 90D. It was a floor model that exactly matched what I wanted to build. I was very lucky to snag it, only having about 1000 miles and a showroom discount of about 11000. I'm new to electric cars, having driven a Toyota Corolla and an Audi Cabriolet. So my advice and impressions:
1. For anyone considering the Model S, read up on Elon Musk and the company's vision for sustainable energy. Part of the money you spend on it helps encourage this vision.
2. Aside from looking for incentives and discounts, consider the hidden costs before making a deposit. One is not all states allow leases. Two is consider shopping for insurance as some may not know how to effectively price premiums. In the end it should be cheaper to insure than comparable exotic cars because there are no mechanical failure coverages to consider. States without tesla service centers may matter as well in pricing the premiums. Performance trims increases premiums as well. Don't forget registration which can be pretty high considering the weight of the car.
3. As a casual driver, driving the Tesla Model S is easy (and almost designed for the lazy driver). To me it is like driving a giant iphone. Despite the instant acceleration, it seems to be meant for the cruising and careful driver. Adaptive cruise control, regenerative braking and lack of gears put you less in control of the car but makes it for a safe driver. The only problem I can see is that tailgaters may get irritated with regenerative bra king brake lights on and may pass you a lot on the highways.
4. Is it worth financing or buying? Yes on the battery range, absolute control of the car by a smartphone and GPS/convenience. The materials however good for the class of luxury aren't at par with equivalent exotic cars.
5. I have had plenty of range anxiety. That was quickly quelled as it wasn't as bad as it seems. Even mere charging 4 miles per hour overnight is enough for getting to work or the supermarket in the city or suburbs. Destination chargers are also plentiful than it may seem... for example any Nissan or Ford dealer may have EV charging. Supercharging is fast but sometimes these cables are so short you have to park real close. Renters also should ask the landlords if they can upgrade their garage sockets for faster charging before considering getting one.
6. I wasn't one to gush about these cars like many people, but I am slowly beginning to see why. Despite being disappointed with being unable to lease it, I now am not regretting paying for it outright.

Rumors about being able to upgrade to a 100kwh battery is also encouraging in investing on this vehicle.