Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting in the high 240s of rated range in standard mode so far. I've done one range charge just to see what number I could get and got 269 miles.

I haven't driven more than 40 miles in a day yet, so I can't really say. The cars says "240 miles" every morning. I'm getting about 3 miles/hour charge from my wall socket (I don't get my NEMA 14-50 installed for a few weeks).

I've just had mine for just a couple of days - but my standard mode charge is 236 miles... Charging from a Nema 14-50 with 245V and getting 40A. I wonder if it is a difference in battery packs or charging method. What range should be considered "normal" for standard mode full charge?.

Update: My standard charge this evening was 241.

Last edited:
I've just had mine for just a couple of days - but my standard mode charge is 236 miles... Charging from a Nema 14-50 with 245V and getting 40A. I wonder if it is a difference in battery packs or charging method. What range should be considered "normal" for standard mode full charge?.

I just did another standard charge and got 241. Maybe low 240s would have been more accurate. Sorry for the confusion.

Good observation. My guess as to why: pilots (a) tend to earn good incomes, either as pilots or people who can afford private planes and (b) are more realistic about range and the need to plan trips around range limitation.

That's a good observation as well, Robert.Boston: a pilot flying cross-country wouldn't consider leaving the ground without planning for fuels stops en route, with a healthy reserve for contingencies and weather. If non-pilots learn to adopt the same philosophy planning road trips in the S, they'll do away with range anxiety completely. Of course, you can get away with planning smaller battery reserves in an S because you can always pull over to the side of the road and call for assistance. :biggrin: But you'd be wise not to cut it too close because a 10knot headwind will eat into your range just as surely in an S as in an airplane, just not quite to the same extent.

Still lovin' my Signature Perf., delivered last Sunday! A few minor issues to resolve, though:
1. One of the key fobs didn't work. My DS thinks maybe it got mixed up with another pair.
2. Rear lift gate height adjust isn't working. Put on the "work" list.
3. Charged the car Sunday night, but Monday night I couldn't get it to charge. It acted like it wasn't seeing the connector. Took it to the Service Center in Costa Mesa, and they gave me a new charge cable, and it works fine, now.
4. Not enough "clear space" on the windshield to mount both my Toll Road and gate transponders, so I had to choose the Toll Road transponder for the windshield and pay extra to my Community Association to get a special hand-held gate transponder.
As an aside, there must have been at least 30 cars at the Service Center being prepped for delivery, so there are going to be a lot of happy reservation holders in the area real soon!

Still lovin' my Signature Perf., delivered last Sunday! A few minor issues to resolve, though:
1. One of the key fobs didn't work. My DS thinks maybe it got mixed up with another pair.
2. Rear lift gate height adjust isn't working. Put on the "work" list.
3. Charged the car Sunday night, but Monday night I couldn't get it to charge. It acted like it wasn't seeing the connector. Took it to the Service Center in Costa Mesa, and they gave me a new charge cable, and it works fine, now.
4. Not enough "clear space" on the windshield to mount both my Toll Road and gate transponders, so I had to choose the Toll Road transponder for the windshield and pay extra to my Community Association to get a special hand-held gate transponder.
As an aside, there must have been at least 30 cars at the Service Center being prepped for delivery, so there are going to be a lot of happy reservation holders in the area real soon!
I did the opposite - I put the guard gate transponder on the black patch next to the mirror, and got the Toll Road people to swap my transponder for one of the front license plate mounted external transponders. It's a very clean arrangement.

30 cars, wow.

I did the opposite - I put the guard gate transponder on the black patch next to the mirror, and got the Toll Road people to swap my transponder for one of the front license plate mounted external transponders. It's a very clean arrangement.

30 cars, wow.

We tried that, as well, but the gate transponder was inconsistent in that location. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Our gate system here is kinda finicky to begin with...

As I mentioned in my post on the delivery thread, I only have a 110v for charging until this weekend, although its possible I could reach the 240v outlet the dryer uses if I'm really in a pinch tomorrow.

In any event, I'm being mindful of my range, knowing that even with about 16 hours of charging tonight into tomorrow it still won't fully charge my battery, so I'm drafting behind trucks on the highway, not speeding etc., and am watching my range versus expected range creeping closer together (when I parked tonight it was about 114 v. 86). Meanwhile, I took a couple of people out for rides and, of course, had to gun it once or twice to show them the power and acceleration. Basically, twenty minutes of responsible driving was blown away in a matter of seconds! Interesting to note -- on a day when I expect to do a lot of driving I need to avoid major gunning and speeding to keep my range in check. Now I'm pretty happy that I'm getting the HPWC even though I didn't think I "needed" it, but for some quick charging it will come in really handy, I think.

I'm having fun with the mobile charger too. Also itching to go enjoy the local Roadster charger. If it wasn't raining out, I might be typing this from the car (and if I could remember my TMC password :redface: ).

Mobile charger tidbits with my 120v plugs: I plugged it into a 50ft 14gauge extension cord. The cord was detected as a weak plug and the car dialed down the voltage. Reducing the amps allowed voltage to increase. I then eliminated the extension cord and the car remembered my reduced setting for amps. I dialed it back up and it was perfectly happy at full 12A, but I dialed that back to 10A just to be safer.

The projected range is actually quite nice. It has helpfully reduced my full range based on the last 20mi of driving and sitting in the parking lot demo'ing the car. I'm quite serious that this is helpful. It is truly taking into account me playing with climate controls, opening/closing the roof and trunk a bunch, etc. Do all that without actually moving an inch and the car basically tells ya that your range is heading down, down, down.

I have the very latest firmware and the media/music controls are not too bad. It could deal with my USB fairly quickly, browse by artist/album, etc. I like how quickly I can switch between Slacker and USB. Slacker doesn't suck, and the car might get me to switch from Pandora. I was told I get 1 year free with the car.

I'm still retraining myself re: turn signals. Old habits die hard.

I can also see where I'll need to work in Tesla Time. I've been just handing the keys over to folks at work and telling them they'll figure it out. It helps that I work with a bunch of really wonderful and trustworthy people.

The HomeLink thing trained pretty easily. I was pleased with that.

I didn't get plates with the car. I did get to fill out paperwork for the carpool lane stickers. The front license plate holder does not suck. I just checked and I received no license plate frames at all so I'm tempted to put my Volkswagon frame on the back. :p Actually I'll just go without.

The 'traffic' button on the maps screen is nice. I've been told this is new with this firmware.

Came with a NEMA 6-50 connector, since I ordered the HPWC. I told them I wouldn't be needing the 6-50 and handed it back. I will use the other connectors tho.

Bluetooth sync wasn't a problem when initiated from the car. The hands-free mode is nice.

The lacewood interior is pretty nice. Has texture. Pleased with it for now, wondering if I'll need to use Pledge on it tho. :wink:

One person noted how small the sun visors are. I then pulled it down and noted how much of my view is actually blocked. ... I think the visors are fine, but time will tell.

That's the stream of consciousness. I think the rain has died down, so I'll see about going for a spin just for the fun of it. :love:

Oh, and the other Tesla guests for the delivery (one Roadster owner, another Sig reservation holder 1000+, and an interested party / prospective customer) got a kick out of me playing with the windshield washer -- I thought maybe it was out or just not working because I pressed and pressed and nothing was coming out. So I popped frunk, looked, verified wiper fluid, reached through window and pushed the wiper control and... nearly sprayed myself in the face! I think I just wasn't pressing hard enough before; press lightly and the wipers move, press harder for the fluid.

... Just went for that drive. It was raining a bit, causes the rear camera to seem a little fuzzy in the dark. The brakes when wet have that new brake sound for just a smidge. The Roadster adapter was fun, the unlock button on the Model S side of the Roadster adapter seems nonfunctional tho. I didn't mess with it much, maybe I just didn't do it right. The mobile adapter seemed happy enough at home though, so I'll experiment more with the Roadster adapter later. And I still couldn't remember my TMC login.

Played with the USB music more. Found a mix album I'd made then ripped made the music system confused. The artist info was something I made up and none of the tracks were labeled right so it could music match the tracks to correct artists if it had that ability but the media player sorta lost track of the order. Again I'll need to experiment to see if I can find a reproducible set of files or sequence.

In on the touchscreen now. Playing with the media options with my head just over the cupholders. 2 to the rear fade and 0 balance sounds nice with ~1 bass, 2 mid, 2 treb... using Daft Punk Alive 2007 from iTunes as ref music while tapping these notes out.

Last edited:
Arnold, sounds like you should find a public charging station and get a charge while you're eating/watching a movie/working... Even a slow 30A station will be about 4x faster than your 120V outlet.

Funny you should mention that -- I joined Chargepoint a few weeks ago, and they have a 240v charger at the mall right near my house. I'm waiting to see how things look this morning. I got home relatively early last night for Halloween and am staying home for the electrician to come this morning, so given 16+ hours I'm hopeful I'll get a decent refill even with my crappy 120v. If not, then I'll probably end up at the mall for a couple of hours tomorrow -- maybe I'll go see Argo or something.

I just noticed something weird on the TM website. I took delivery on Sunday, and by that evening "MyTesla" showed status as "Delivered", and there was a link to the owner's manual. This morning, I saw that it had reverted back to "The Tesla Factory is Building your Model S Signature Performance", and the link to the Owner's manual is gone.

Very strange....

This morning, I saw that it had reverted back

Repoed. :)

- - - Updated - - -

although its possible I could reach the 240v outlet the dryer uses if I'm really in a pinch tomorrow.

Doesn't help you since you don't have a NEMA 10-30 adapter. I would like to buy one myself, however, while they are available for Roadster, no Model S version exists as of yet.

Doesn't help you since you don't have a NEMA 10-30 adapter. I would like to buy one myself, however, while they are available for Roadster, no Model S version exists as of yet.

Shows you how much I know! I'll be grateful to just get my NEMA 6-50 and converter (and eventually the HPWC) and not have to worry about it.

On another note, I noticed something today I don't know if it has been mentioned. The music stays on when you "stop" the car to get out, but smartly the volume goes low when you open the door so its not intrusive in a public space as you leave the car. Nice touch.