Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone in another thread suggested to keep the middle seat's belt always buckled in, to avoid the right seat passenger using the wrong one.
That’s exactly what I am now doing. We had friends in the back and for the 2nd time since I’ve owned the car, I got the seatbelt warning despite both insisting they were both buckled. I asked them to be sure one didn’t inadvertently insert the buckle into the middle. Sure enough the right seat passenger had used the middle latch. Once he inserted his belt into the proper latch, the warning was gone.

Picked up my car today. Overall, great experience. I did notice some very faint scratches, they buffed them out no problem. I also asked for them to install an iPhone dock, which they did and didn't charge me for it. Car had about 8 miles on the odometer.

It took about 20 miles of driving for AP to become available (2.5) and it worked very well for the stretch of road I tried it on. Overall I'm thrilled with the car.

Some observations:
  • The power lift gate has refused to close about 1/2 the time I tried it. Not sure what is going on there, I'm sure that can be resolved.
  • The doors take more force to close than I expected. Not really an issue, but I was surprised.
  • No sunglasses holder above the rearview mirror. I've heard all of the complaints about lighted vanity and no coat hooks, those don't bother me at all. But no glasses case stings a bit.
  • I have the standard sound system, and based on the reviews here was expecting total trash. I'm coming from an IS350 with the Mark Levinson sound, so I expected to be disappointed, but I have been pleasantly surprised. I don't listen super loud and am no audiophile, but overall I'm happy with the sound.
  • I'm pleased with the performance (S75). It isn't jaw dropping like the P100D, but it gets the job done.
That's it for now!

Picked up my car today. Overall, great experience. I did notice some very faint scratches, they buffed them out no problem. I also asked for them to install an iPhone dock, which they did and didn't charge me for it. Car had about 8 miles on the odometer.

It took about 20 miles of driving for AP to become available (2.5) and it worked very well for the stretch of road I tried it on. Overall I'm thrilled with the car.

Some observations:
  • The power lift gate has refused to close about 1/2 the time I tried it. Not sure what is going on there, I'm sure that can be resolved.
  • The doors take more force to close than I expected. Not really an issue, but I was surprised.
  • No sunglasses holder above the rearview mirror. I've heard all of the complaints about lighted vanity and no coat hooks, those don't bother me at all. But no glasses case stings a bit.
  • I have the standard sound system, and based on the reviews here was expecting total trash. I'm coming from an IS350 with the Mark Levinson sound, so I expected to be disappointed, but I have been pleasantly surprised. I don't listen super loud and am no audiophile, but overall I'm happy with the sound.
  • I'm pleased with the performance (S75). It isn't jaw dropping like the P100D, but it gets the job done.
That's it for now!

Damn wish I had asked for a phone dock.

Time for me to chime in! Just took delivery of an S100D "inventory" car which had all the options I would have custom ordered, but hadn't yet been delivered to the SC - so I effectively was given a few thousand dollars off in exchange for waiting less - win/win! The paint (Midnight Silver) looks beautiful (no scuffs, scratches, or orange peel I noticed) and all panel seams are perfectly lined up (although, I do expect this of a car in this price range).

I messed around with the media player, tried a number of sources, and it seems to work more reliably than the BMWs I've owned over the past 10 years, so that's a plus for Tesla. Also, the SC (Paramus, NJ) had sent me my permanent plates days before the car itself arrived at my house, so they definitely have their stuff together there. I just need to wait ~24hrs for it to sync up with my account so I can interact with the app.

Completely positive experience. So excited!

Time for me to chime in! Just took delivery of an S100D "inventory" car which had all the options I would have custom ordered, but hadn't yet been delivered to the SC - so I effectively was given a few thousand dollars off in exchange for waiting less - win/win! The paint (Midnight Silver) looks beautiful (no scuffs, scratches, or orange peel I noticed) and all panel seams are perfectly lined up (although, I do expect this of a car in this price range).

I messed around with the media player, tried a number of sources, and it seems to work more reliably than the BMWs I've owned over the past 10 years, so that's a plus for Tesla. Also, the SC (Paramus, NJ) had sent me my permanent plates days before the car itself arrived at my house, so they definitely have their stuff together there. I just need to wait ~24hrs for it to sync up with my account so I can interact with the app.

Completely positive experience. So excited!
Awesome I just picked up my midnight silver 75D 2 weeks ago. Really happy with it. Did you notice that midnight silver looks different in the online configurator than in person. In life its more grey than dark silver.

Really hope I will love this car. It's been an entire month since I paid for an inventory car and I've yet to see it delivered. The response level and coordination has been sub-par with the team. I won't bore you guys with the details but I wanted to share my disappointment in the whole delivery process. My initial excitement has dwindled and I wish Tesla would improve on this inconsistency.

I decided in August to replace my 2013 85 with a new 100D this month. I wanted to wait until the 4th week of October to see if Tesla announced any changes before custom ordering. I've also been looking at new inventory cars with my configuration and never found an exact match until my OA found a car on Monday (10/16). I decided to take advantage of the new inventory discount ($3000) plus referral discount ($1000) and purchased the inventory car. The car was delivered to the delivery center the following Thursday (10/19) and I was asked to pick it up on Saturday (10/21). Unfortunately I was out of town but did pick up the new car, and trade in my 2013, on Monday (10/23). It had 14 miles on it at pickup. The entire process took less than 1 week to complete.

The new car is gorgeous and perfect! The VIN sticker in the door jam shows it was manufactured in October, 2017. It also has the bottom dash in white which I think looks better than the new solid black dash.

My Costa Mesa DS kept in constant contact with me and replied almost immediately to any emails I sent. The whole experience was fast, painless and trouble free!

IMG_4195.jpg

Last edited:
Got a follow up call from the delivery crew. I mentioned the issue with my liftgate not always closing, she said it is a known issue that takes 5 minutes to fix, just call and they will send someone over to fix it.

I also mentioned how terrible the AM radio reception in. She agrees it is bad and said nothing they can do.

Really hope I will love this car. It's been an entire month since I paid for an inventory car and I've yet to see it delivered. The response level and coordination has been sub-par with the team. I won't bore you guys with the details but I wanted to share my disappointment in the whole delivery process. My initial excitement has dwindled and I wish Tesla would improve on this inconsistency.
Interestingly I had a great experience out of the Manhasset location. Sorry to hear yours wasn't up to par.

Got a follow up call from the delivery crew. I mentioned the issue with my liftgate not always closing, she said it is a known issue that takes 5 minutes to fix, just call and they will send someone over to fix it.

I also mentioned how terrible the AM radio reception in. She agrees it is bad and said nothing they can do.
It is bad. On weaker stations you can hear the whine of the electric motor overpowering the station's reception. I listen to a lot of talk radio, so I just find the internet versions of what I'm looking for. Those sound great, but you obviously won't get the local news, traffic & weather. But it's sometimes fun listening to the commercials from these out-of-town locations.

Reactions: Galve2000

Just an update that I got a surprise delivery on a flatbed tow truck after 4 weeks of waiting. No one alerted me; lucky I was home to receive it. Apparently a miscommunication with the logistics team. Not detailed, no goodies, just cables scattered and a crushed plastic cup on top of the paper mat. At least today they called to apologize and offered a mobile detail. Not the experience I was expecting with me holding a camera as I watch my new car being dropped off in pristine condition.

Bought a beautiful Model S 75D last month. As we were driving out of the delivery area we received a notice on screen that the charge port door was failing. They made and adjustment, ordered a new one and off we went. Within 24 hours the cooling fan to the battery failed and we blew only hot air from the a/c. Terrible experience with the service center and getting anyone to call us back. While fixing that issue (a week in the shop) they cause some sort of front end rattle. On week 3 my husband was driving from Colorado to Los Angeles for the maiden voyage. Battery range is less than we anticipated. He made it 1.5 hours our of town and received notification to stop driving due to a fault in the air suspension. 2 hours on phone and some resets etc he was cleared to drive to CA where service would be waiting for him to drop off the car last Monday. They ended up keeping the car a week, updating software and replacing a front strut and air spring module. They also apparently damaged the front tire which they replaced and left us with an awesome 2 inch scratch on the hood. No repair to the rattle but determined it is likely the airbag harness retaining clip.
They were unable to fix it as my husband leaves for the return trip back to Colorado Monday. We then go BACK to Service center in Colorado for round 3.

We were so excited to have this car but ended up so disappointed so far.