Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners delivery stories, photos and first impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, @COgirl, that is terrible. I hope the service center is able to make it right. I would ask them for some sort of reparations for the trouble. See if they will give you some annual maintenance credits or something.
That is what we are working towards. They have offered the first year service free and we have asked for them to throw in the extended warranty. we will see...

Just an update that I got a surprise delivery on a flatbed tow truck after 4 weeks of waiting. No one alerted me; lucky I was home to receive it. Apparently a miscommunication with the logistics team. Not detailed, no goodies, just cables scattered and a crushed plastic cup on top of the paper mat. At least today they called to apologize and offered a mobile detail. Not the experience I was expecting with me holding a camera as I watch my new car being dropped off in pristine condition.

Can I ask when you bought yours? I am in the same boat. It has been over 4 weeks and the local delivery team has absolutely no idea about delivery or where the car even is. He did tell me that when I do get it I should let them know and they'll get it detailed as he said there is a high probability they never did the mobile one.

We took delivery on Sept 21st. After placing the order we had virtually no updates until about 3 days out.
Today the nightmare continues. The navigation system and maps won't load and there is an error on screen. also scratched the interior carbon fiber detail :(. escalating up the ladder.

Picked up my car today. Overall, great experience. I did notice some very faint scratches, they buffed them out no problem. I also asked for them to install an iPhone dock, which they did and didn't charge me for it. Car had about 8 miles on the odometer.

It took about 20 miles of driving for AP to become available (2.5) and it worked very well for the stretch of road I tried it on. Overall I'm thrilled with the car.

Some observations:
  • The power lift gate has refused to close about 1/2 the time I tried it. Not sure what is going on there, I'm sure that can be resolved.
  • The doors take more force to close than I expected. Not really an issue, but I was surprised.
  • No sunglasses holder above the rearview mirror. I've heard all of the complaints about lighted vanity and no coat hooks, those don't bother me at all. But no glasses case stings a bit.
  • I have the standard sound system, and based on the reviews here was expecting total trash. I'm coming from an IS350 with the Mark Levinson sound, so I expected to be disappointed, but I have been pleasantly surprised. I don't listen super loud and am no audiophile, but overall I'm happy with the sound.
  • I'm pleased with the performance (S75). It isn't jaw dropping like the P100D, but it gets the job done.
That's it for now!

Update: I washed my car for the first time and found a bunch of paint flaws. 4 tiny bubbles in the clear (3 on hood 1 on trunk) flawed paint on driver's sideview mirror and a few other blemishes. Service center is going to take a look, I am pretty sure they are going to take care of it, but pretty disappointing. And the windshield washers are crazy. I sprayed as much on my hatch as my windshield. Again, service center will adjust them, so hopeful that improves.

Overall still loving the car. AP is working great for me. And so far I've bugged the hell out of my OA with my little issues and questions and he has been awesome, so that experience has been way above expectations. (Feel free to PM for contact info)

Very nice blue S you have there. I didn’t know the timing of these could be so fast.

——Less than one week is all that is needed to obtain a Tesla S.....Yikes, my wallet is starting to sweat...

Al

View attachment 256366[/QUOTE]
I decided in August to replace my 2013 85 with a new 100D this month. I wanted to wait until the 4th week of October to see if Tesla announced any changes before custom ordering. I've also been looking at new inventory cars with my configuration and never found an exact match until my OA found a car on Monday (10/16). I decided to take advantage of the new inventory discount ($3000) plus referral discount ($1000) and purchased the inventory car. The car was delivered to the delivery center the following Thursday (10/19) and I was asked to pick it up on Saturday (10/21). Unfortunately I was out of town but did pick up the new car, and trade in my 2013, on Monday (10/23). It had 14 miles on it at pickup. The entire process took less than 1 week to complete.

The new car is gorgeous and perfect! The VIN sticker in the door jam shows it was manufactured in October, 2017. It also has the bottom dash in white which I think looks better than the new solid black dash.

My Costa Mesa DS kept in constant contact with me and replied almost immediately to any emails I sent. The whole experience was fast, painless and trouble free!

View attachment 256366

Took delivery of my silver 75S on 11/04. Gave it a while to see if any real problems popped up.
  • Small front bumper misalignment.
  • Steering alignment slightly pulling to the right sometimes...but it could just be me (or the air suspension).
  • Got a "Cruise not available" message twice. Once on a bad road. Haven't gotten it in a while, though.
  • Autopilot makes stop and go traffic less stressful (got .44 update after delivery). This is ~60% of my commute. Better than any other adaptive cruise/lane keeping assist that I have tried. I had tempered my expectations...but oh man, I can't live without this.
  • Full tank every morning is super convenient. Range anxiety is much less than I thought it was going to be.
  • Fit and finish is nice, but I've seen better. Door pockets would be nice.
  • I do wish I went for the 100 kWh battery...but that was more than I was willing to pay. The 75 range is at least 2x my daily needs, so no problems here. I hope for inexpensive battery upgrades in the future to bury all range anxiety.
I have had big V8s to econobox I4s...I love this car. I remember reading someone's description of a Tesla as an extension of your being...and he was spot on. The problems I have listed above can be easily taken care of with a SC visit. I was expecting a lot of problems.
Now all I need is a referral for those Arachnids.

Two weeks in with "Demo" S 100D. The car was a birthday present for my wife. Her priorities:
A. No gas tank.
B. Sports sedan ride and handling, also decent acceleration. She drove an early 2000s Honda Civic Hybrid for many years. It had fuel economy and "British sports car" handling, not the ride, acceleration or luxury. Small engine in front, battery pack in back gave excellent weight distribution.
C. Sunroof and luxury environment.
D. Blue or White exterior, light color interior.

First made a deposit on CPO 2014 P85D. It was gray, an acceptable but not preferred color.

Then decided a new model made more sense, shifted to a custom S 75 with delivery late Dec 2017 or Jan 2018.

Finally decided that Inventory/Demo would be better since a 2017 tax credit in hand was better than 2018 tax credit uncertainty. Adopted "no regrets" policy on configuration. Added "long-legged highway cruiser" to the list - 100 KWH battery, Dual motors, Smart Air Suspension, Sub-Zero package.

Found a good fit in Chicago. I love to drive, didn't want to pay $2,000 delivery charge to miss the pleasure of Chicago-Philadelphia drive.

Delivery was Nov 10 in Chicago Highland. Flew to Chicago the night before, stayed in friends' condo. Floor mats and additional charging adapters had been shipped to the condo. First snow & ice of the season made us late for the appointment, my friend and I arrived with the floor mats. No problems with delivery. Car had about 1,200 miles at purchase, received substantial discount. No cosmetic or functional issues. Figure any production problems had been shaken out during the demo & loaner miles.

At my request the sale was processed in my home state, car was delivered with Pennsylvania license plate, registration and sales tax. Also at my request the car was delivered with full range charge for the drive home.

Realized later there was one small problem - tire pressure. Didn't check the driver's door plaque to see recommended pressure. Suspect pressure was correct in heated garage, but dropped in cold outside air. Drove home with 42 psi instead of optimal 45 psi. Still got good range. Configured Range mode, "Chill" accelerator, set SAS to shift to Low position above 55 mph, turned off ambient lighting, dressed warmly and minimized cabin heat. This allowed us to cruise at 75 mph and still have reserve miles at SuperCharger.

My friend & I drove the S 100D back to the condo that afternoon a long trip due to slippery roads and usual intense Friday evening rush hour. His wife had arranged for a space in their garage next to a 110 Volt outlet. We plugged in the charger, by morning we were at full range - 337 miles. Started the trip Saturday morning with clear sky and dry roads. There was a self-serve carwash across the street from our first stop at Maumee, OH SuperCharger. We washed off Chicago's salt and road dirt, applied new wax so my wife would have a good first impression of the car. Air-dried it on the highway, it was fun to see the water drops follow the streamline airflow down the body. Arrived at my house by midnight with total 3 SuperCharger stops. Car was flawless and a real pleasure on the road. My friend and I had time to learn and use nearly all EAP features and explore all configuration and control options.

My wife loves the car - driving experience, design & appearance, the joy of bypassing gas stations. She's still adjusting to the size and learning all the settings & controls. 100 KWH battery means that 60% charge allows her to drive without Range concerns. We get about 5 days use before HPWC recharge. I set the car to begin charging after midnight to minimize burden on the power utility.

A great experience.

Two weeks in with "Demo" S 100D. The car was a birthday present for my wife. Her priorities:
A. No gas tank.
B. Sports sedan ride and handling, also decent acceleration. She drove an early 2000s Honda Civic Hybrid for many years. It had fuel economy and "British sports car" handling, not the ride, acceleration or luxury. Small engine in front, battery pack in back gave excellent weight distribution.
C. Sunroof and luxury environment.
D. Blue or White exterior, light color interior.

First made a deposit on CPO 2014 P85D. It was gray, an acceptable but not preferred color.

Then decided a new model made more sense, shifted to a custom S 75 with delivery late Dec 2017 or Jan 2018.

Finally decided that Inventory/Demo would be better since a 2017 tax credit in hand was better than 2018 tax credit uncertainty. Adopted "no regrets" policy on configuration. Added "long-legged highway cruiser" to the list - 100 KWH battery, Dual motors, Smart Air Suspension, Sub-Zero package.

Found a good fit in Chicago. I love to drive, didn't want to pay $2,000 delivery charge to miss the pleasure of Chicago-Philadelphia drive.

Delivery was Nov 10 in Chicago Highland. Flew to Chicago the night before, stayed in friends' condo. Floor mats and additional charging adapters had been shipped to the condo. First snow & ice of the season made us late for the appointment, my friend and I arrived with the floor mats. No problems with delivery. Car had about 1,200 miles at purchase, received substantial discount. No cosmetic or functional issues. Figure any production problems had been shaken out during the demo & loaner miles.

At my request the sale was processed in my home state, car was delivered with Pennsylvania license plate, registration and sales tax. Also at my request the car was delivered with full range charge for the drive home.

Realized later there was one small problem - tire pressure. Didn't check the driver's door plaque to see recommended pressure. Suspect pressure was correct in heated garage, but dropped in cold outside air. Drove home with 42 psi instead of optimal 45 psi. Still got good range. Configured Range mode, "Chill" accelerator, set SAS to shift to Low position above 55 mph, turned off ambient lighting, dressed warmly and minimized cabin heat. This allowed us to cruise at 75 mph and still have reserve miles at SuperCharger.

My friend & I drove the S 100D back to the condo that afternoon a long trip due to slippery roads and usual intense Friday evening rush hour. His wife had arranged for a space in their garage next to a 110 Volt outlet. We plugged in the charger, by morning we were at full range - 337 miles. Started the trip Saturday morning with clear sky and dry roads. There was a self-serve carwash across the street from our first stop at Maumee, OH SuperCharger. We washed off Chicago's salt and road dirt, applied new wax so my wife would have a good first impression of the car. Air-dried it on the highway, it was fun to see the water drops follow the streamline airflow down the body. Arrived at my house by midnight with total 3 SuperCharger stops. Car was flawless and a real pleasure on the road. My friend and I had time to learn and use nearly all EAP features and explore all configuration and control options.

My wife loves the car - driving experience, design & appearance, the joy of bypassing gas stations. She's still adjusting to the size and learning all the settings & controls. 100 KWH battery means that 60% charge allows her to drive without Range concerns. We get about 5 days use before HPWC recharge. I set the car to begin charging after midnight to minimize burden on the power utility.

A great experience.

My Gawd man that is my story almost to a t!
Except i am getting the car for myself.
But I did the same steps...used...new...what the hell I'm getting a 100D!

My dates for a Portland, OR ordered MS 75D FWIW:

10/31: Ordered (paint/premium black/EAP) - Lead time was late Dec/early Jan
11/03: Design confirmed
11/04: Order confirmed
11/21: Delivery estimate disappeared
12/11: In production status appeared
12/13: Scheduled delivery on 12/19
12/14: In transit status appeared!

:)

Reactions: pvazquez03
That is what we are working towards. They have offered the first year service free and we have asked for them to throw in the extended warranty. we will see...
We took delivery on Sept 21st. After placing the order we had virtually no updates until about 3 days out.
Today the nightmare continues. The navigation system and maps won't load and there is an error on screen. also scratched the interior carbon fiber detail :(. escalating up the ladder.

Still in the shop...been there since NOVEMBER 6th. Repairs were made but it was delivered to us with MORE damage. Total time ownded 96 days...Total days in shop-51
we have escalated to executive team

Still in the shop...been there since NOVEMBER 6th. Repairs were made but it was delivered to us with MORE damage. Total time ownded 96 days...Total days in shop-51

They forgo QC for the sake of pushing more cars out the door.

Eventually, something is going to give.

Let’s just wait until the onslaught of M3s needing services.

Reactions: COgirl

I feel your pain, I had paint issues and they had my car for a total of 3 weeks out of 9 weeks from the time I picked it up from the factory. That's 33% of the time at the SC, but it's back and I do love driving this car!!!

Reactions: COgirl
Picked up my Model S 75D from the Toronto Year End Event this morning.

Delivery was flawless. I inspected the car in about as much detail as anyone could expect - no noticeable issues found. The individual who met me took me through the car in great detail, asking questions and spending all the time I needed despite the fact that they were clearly swamped. He was fantastic.

I had contacted my DS a few weeks back and asked that an iPhone dock to be installed prior to pick up. I received a call yesterday confirming the delivery time and informing that the dock had been installed. At this point they also inquired about interest in all weather mats - something I honestly hadn't even gotten around to thinking about. I stated that I would take a look at them when I got there and make a decision.

Imagine my surprise when not only was the dock installed - but the all weather mats were already in the car. Loving the look of them - and appreciating their need given I like in Canada - I told them I would take them. I asked about price and payment for the mats and dock, and was told not to worry about it. Compliments of Tesla. How amazing is that? My previous car was an Audi A6 and I usually had to fight to get a bottle of water from them when at service. Completely blown away.

First drive took about 50 kms for AP to engage - and I'm already in complete love with the car. I even had someone flag me down on the highway to give a thumbs up.

Color me impressed to this point. Very impressed.

Picked up my Model S 75D from the Toronto Year End Event this morning.

Delivery was flawless. I inspected the car in about as much detail as anyone could expect - no noticeable issues found. The individual who met me took me through the car in great detail, asking questions and spending all the time I needed despite the fact that they were clearly swamped. He was fantastic.

I had contacted my DS a few weeks back and asked that an iPhone dock to be installed prior to pick up. I received a call yesterday confirming the delivery time and informing that the dock had been installed. At this point they also inquired about interest in all weather mats - something I honestly hadn't even gotten around to thinking about. I stated that I would take a look at them when I got there and make a decision.

Imagine my surprise when not only was the dock installed - but the all weather mats were already in the car. Loving the look of them - and appreciating their need given I like in Canada - I told them I would take them. I asked about price and payment for the mats and dock, and was told not to worry about it. Compliments of Tesla. How amazing is that? My previous car was an Audi A6 and I usually had to fight to get a bottle of water from them when at service. Completely blown away.

First drive took about 50 kms for AP to engage - and I'm already in complete love with the car. I even had someone flag me down on the highway to give a thumbs up.

Color me impressed to this point. Very impressed.

Congratulations on your new car, and I'm happy to hear everything went well. These cars are truly amazing and I love driving it with confidence, enjoy your experiences with it.

We took delivery of our Midnight Silver MS with cream interior this past Wed. The process wasn't exactly what I expected. The gal giving us the walkthrough seemed to be breezing past a lot of things (either that or she was a new employee and uncomfortable doing walkthroughs). But we had already done a lot of our own research prior so it wasn't a big deal.

They almost let us walk off without leaving a check for the down payment. I had to remind them about that which was kind of funny. I got the impression everyone there were either new employees or were just extremely laid back. Not sure if that's a company culture thing or caused by high turnover or difficulty in finding new employees.

The MS itself is beautiful and the driving is so smooth and quiet. And it's super fast. Even the 75D which we got has enough pickup that we had to put it in Chill mode pretty quickly for my wife's comfort (she's due with our first child soon). I took it out on the highway last night for some zero to 60 runs with Chill mode turned off, and wow... it almost felt like a launched roller coaster. Fun!

Upon recommendation of our detailer, we had asked them to avoid wiping down the MS before we took delivery. It was a rainy day so the MS wasn't exactly clean. It did feel a little weird for them to take us back to see a dirty car. Our DS said that everyone had been asking about it all day: "Are they sure they don't want it wiped down??" But our detailer is going to handle all of that, and I guess he's had the Tesla people inadvertently damage the finish in the past.

We did find a small chip in the paint on the rear liftgate. Since taking the MS home, we found a spot above the rear right quarter panel where the chrome trim is raised a little too far and could snag something. So there are a couple of problems that will need to be addressed by service at some point before we have it detailed. Hopefully sooner rather than later because I want our detailer to get a layer of Opti-coat on there ASAP before any damage occurs.

The cream interior is quite nice. My wife likes it a lot. The only problem I forsee is the cream-colored carpet. It's very light and shows dirt and stains quite easily. We're getting the all-weather mats which should improve the situation. I can't imagine continuing to use the cream-colored mats. They will look terrible in a very short amount of time. The other problem is the area where the deadpedal should be is covered with cream carpet. Again, hopefully the all-weather mats will cover that area, but without those the carpet in this area would get very dirty and wear out very quickly since that's where I tend to rest my foot while driving.

The cream alacantra headliner is beautiful. Having a light-colored headliner makes the car feel more open than the one we test drove which had a black headliner. (Not that black is bad. I like black too!)

Lastly, the amount of storage in this car is incredible. When I read the specs online, the MS had twice as much storage as my outgoing Honda Accord which I found hard to believe. But having the MS now, I can see it's absolutely true.

Now if Elon would just make an electric mini-van our needs would be completely satisfied!