Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D costs $42,000 more than a 90D?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are we getting for that $42,000? seems kind of ridiculous.

the car configurator says that it comes with "smart air suspension" (which costs $2500 on a 90D) and "ludicrous speed upgrade" (which is not available on the 90D but I believe used to cost $10000) so how is 10wWh battery worth $30,000? Is there something else that I'm missing?

Reactions: bonaire

the car configurator says that it comes with "smart air suspension" (which costs $2500 on a 90D) and "ludicrous speed upgrade" (which is not available on the 90D but I believe used to cost $10000) so how is 10wWh battery worth $30,000? Is there something else that I'm missing?
they have the largest profit on p100d

It also comes with the larger rear P motor that you don't get on the 90D.

If you want the longest range EV - then it's the Model S P100D.

Unfortunately spending over $40K for an additional 20 miles over a 90D is likely too much for most people.

While the supercar acceleration is pretty cool, we'd rather have more range - and will likely wait until there is a 100D before considering a replacement for our "classic" P85.

$42k is for bragging rights.

this ^

however Telsa would do well to look at what BMW/Audi and MB do with their premium vehicles.

Several subtle tweaks and improvements to bodywork, suspension and interior trim and seats are usually in evidence.

With the P100D, yes you get the bigger motor (and maybe bigger fuses) but anything else is hard to discern,

Methinks Tesla might be hampering P100D sales (though only the sales figures will truly show this) without a bit more icing on the cake.
It does seem that the 100KWH batter y is in limited supply at the moment so maybe they are selling as many as they can and more toys can follow later as supply increases and if demand needs supporting.

Some unique things in the software would cost little, higher spec and more adjustable suspension is de rigeur for top spec variants as are seats and unique bits of trim and/or colours.

I do on blalnce though think that Tesla ought to make the top spec model a little more special beyond the astonishing acceleration.

Tesla is testing the bounds of price sensitivity for its performance models. It is about time. The "P"s used to be way too cheap for the performance they provide. Hopefully, the current over pricing (from my perspective) of the P100D is related to the scarcity of the 100 battery. We will know more when supplies allow for an S100D.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18 and DIL
Some unique things in the software would cost little, higher spec and more adjustable suspension is de rigeur for top spec variants as are seats and unique bits of trim and/or colours.

Yes, was surprised when they discontinued the Performance Plus suspension after April 2015. Red-tinted interior lights, etc., P100D exclusive wheels, etc., Many things they could do to set the car apart.

It isn't ridiculous at all when Tesla still can't make enough P100Ds to keep up with demand.

Reactions: nwdiver
Yes, was surprised when they discontinued the Performance Plus suspension after April 2015. Red-tinted interior lights, etc., P100D exclusive wheels, etc., Many things they could do to set the car apart.

I'm glad that they don't do very much to separate the cars appearance wise and see several advantages in that.

Among the benefits is that it minimizes the chance of development of a caste system within, and more importantly, outside of the ranks of owners, because it is visually difficult to tell the most powerful Model S, from the least powerful Model S.

This in turn reinforces and drives home the subliminal message that "all" Teslas are great. Not just the most powerful ones that look different from the rest of them. And if an owner of another vehicle happens across one, then chances are he has no idea whether he has come across the most powerful one or not.

It cuts down on "posing", or the practice of owners of less powerful models attempting to make their cars look like the more powerful variant, so as to fool onlookers, by adding body parts etc. purchased either from the manufacturer or in the aftermarket.

It lessens the chance of the manufacturer charging extra for the appearance items, which "start out" being "exclusive" to the performance version, and then later on offering the same visual cues and appearance items on less powerful models, after having earlier had others pay for that exclusivity.

It saves money in production costs as the body parts and many other parts are interchangable and require no additional production effort.

Last edited:
If you want the longest range EV - then it's the Model S P100D.

Unfortunately spending over $40K for an additional 20 miles over a 90D is likely too much for most people.

While the supercar acceleration is pretty cool, we'd rather have more range - and will likely wait until there is a 100D before considering a replacement for our "classic" P85.
Wait about 2-3 weeks.

Reactions: nwdiver
Tesla is testing the bounds of price sensitivity for its performance models. It is about time. The "P"s used to be way too cheap for the performance they provide. Hopefully, the current over pricing (from my perspective) of the P100D is related to the scarcity of the 100 battery. We will know more when supplies allow for an S100D.
I was trying to wait for the S100D but it's taking too long. I have a lead foot so I don't need the P100DL

I'm glad that they don't do very much to separate the cars appearance wise and see several advantages in that.

Good points. Tesla really is the anti-car establishment company. Just about any option you can pick for the P100D (except the performance motor) is also available or will eventually be available for the base 60 so they're all literally the same car. Would be funny if all Tesla's came debadged.

$42k is for bragging rights. Quickest 0-60mph production car ever made in the history of cars. Quicker than supercars 30 times more expensive.

Definitely all about the bragging rights. This is exactly why I went with 90D fully loaded. The only difference between my car and P100DL is the ability to get to 0-60 in 1.6ish seconds less, 15ish extra miles of range, red calipers (which you can add), and the badge. Otherwise, it's exactly the same car. If you need the best of the best then cough up the $42k. I'm extremely happy with 90D. I'm pretty sure I'll be sad I didn't wait for 100D to come out lol.