Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D costs $42,000 more than a 90D?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely all about the bragging rights. This is exactly why I went with 90D fully loaded. The only difference between my car and P100DL is the ability to get to 0-60 in 1.6ish seconds less, 15ish extra miles of range, red calipers (which you can add), and the badge. Otherwise, it's exactly the same car. If you need the best of the best then cough up the $42k. I'm extremely happy with 90D. I'm pretty sure I'll be sad I didn't wait for 100D to come out lol.
I'm looking forward to the 90D
Definitely all about the bragging rights. This is exactly why I went with 90D fully loaded. The only difference between my car and P100DL is the ability to get to 0-60 in 1.6ish seconds less, 15ish extra miles of range, red calipers (which you can add), and the badge. Otherwise, it's exactly the same car. If you need the best of the best then cough up the $42k. I'm extremely happy with 90D. I'm pretty sure I'll be sad I didn't wait for 100D to come out lol.

I agree. I'm looking forward to my 2017 90D. Drives great ... Bragging!
So far I don't have an urge to go to the drag strip. I may go to the racetrack for a lap or two.
Thought about waiting for 100D but then you miss out on travel supercharging.

FB_IMG_1482375485085.jpg
It is kinda weird that I took a 100d out for a bit on a test drive and got to get on it a few times. I was not that impressed. I am used to high HP cars. Its fast (obviously) but not scary like my 700hp TT Vette which is violent fast.

Last edited:
With the P100, you are permitted to do a 26th launch...but no word on any drive unit improvement that would make that a wise move. We can only speculate since there has been no clarification added to the design studio.

With the P100, you are permitted to do a 26th launch...but no word on any drive unit improvement that would make that a wise move. We can only speculate since there has been no clarification added to the design studio.

You are assuming that it is the drive unit that is a problem. I am assuming it is the battery pack that is the problem and that is why the counter is in the BMS. (If it was the DU, why would you want the counter to get reset if you got a different battery? Wouldn't you think they would put the counter in the invertor/DU?)

My assumption is that the full 1600A+ draws cause too much heat in the battery pack and cause damage, and the 100kWh battery has a completely different cooling design that doesn't suffer from that problem.

When I decided to trade my Signature P85 for a new AP2 car (the day of the AP2 announcement), I decided to go for the P100D just because it is the best Tesla any money can buy. I was not focused specifically on acceleration or range, it was the whole aura. After watching all the enhancements go by in the four years since my Sig arrived, and resigned to giving up the historical benchmark of that car (2nd VIN in Canada), and Signature Red, I was ready for the POW of the best of the best.

Pragmatically, what am I going to enjoy most about this car? It is actually the fastest supercharging speed.

And she is named Scarlett.

Reactions: DIL
Indpowr,
The embarrassing part is when my grandmother gets in your P100D, lines up next to you at a light then waxes your buttocks when the light turns green with near zero drama. No doubt about it that the Vet is faster but gawd the golf cart is quick :)

What are we getting for that $42,000? seems kind of ridiculous.

the car configurator says that it comes with "smart air suspension" (which costs $2500 on a 90D) and "ludicrous speed upgrade" (which is not available on the 90D but I believe used to cost $10000) so how is 10wWh battery worth $30,000? Is there something else that I'm missing?
The kwh difference between 90 and 100 is NOT 10 in reality. It is 14.2 to 15.2 kwh.

Electrek co reported (shown below) the usable capacity recently. And Bjorn from Norway did a test recently showing that 1% to 100% charging added 96 kwh to the P100D battery. So full usable capacity is very likely at 97 kwh. That means the difference is 97 kwh minus 81.8 kwh (shown below) = 15.2 kwh

source: Tesla’s hacked Battery Management System exposes the real usable capacity of its battery packs
  • Original 60 – ~61 kWh total capacity, ~58.5 kWh usable.
  • 85/P85/85D/P85D – ~81.5 kWh total capacity, ~77.5 kWh usable
  • 90D/P90D – ~85.8 kWh total capacity, 81.8 kWh usable
  • Original 70 – ~71.2 kWh total capacity, 68.8 kWh usable
  • 75/75D – 75 kWh total capacity, 72.6 kWh usable
  • Software limited 60/60D – 62.4 kWh usable
  • Software limited 70/70D – 65.9 kWh usable

In addition, the P100D supercharging time will be faster to get the same kwh or miles. If you do a lot of supercharging, it is worth getting the 100 battery. You are basically improving the charge time vs drive time ratio on road trips.

The kwh difference between 90 and 100 is NOT 10 in reality. It is 14.2 to 15.2 kwh.

Electrek co reported (shown below) the usable capacity recently. And Bjorn from Norway did a test recently showing that 1% to 100% charging added 96 kwh to the P100D battery. So full usable capacity is very likely at 97 kwh. That means the difference is 97 kwh minus 81.8 kwh (shown below) = 15.2 kwh

source: Tesla’s hacked Battery Management System exposes the real usable capacity of its battery packs
  • Original 60 – ~61 kWh total capacity, ~58.5 kWh usable.
  • 85/P85/85D/P85D – ~81.5 kWh total capacity, ~77.5 kWh usable
  • 90D/P90D – ~85.8 kWh total capacity, 81.8 kWh usable
  • Original 70 – ~71.2 kWh total capacity, 68.8 kWh usable
  • 75/75D – 75 kWh total capacity, 72.6 kWh usable
  • Software limited 60/60D – 62.4 kWh usable
  • Software limited 70/70D – 65.9 kWh usable

Two reasons I'd hesitate to accept this as gospel. I have an early P85+ with a large amount of long distance driving which required frequent full to empty discharges in uninterrupted drives. I've charted many observations over the years. If by "usable"' the above chart references not driving into a sub 0% SOC, then I've never seen more than 74kWh available and now it's closer to 70 after 115k miles. I don't know anyone with the 85 battery that got 77.5kWh, though in very early firmware, there was a brief time when over 80kWh was available presumably because of a smaller anti-bricking buffer. The second point is that Bjorn's measure of how much the battery took in is not the same as what it will return. IIRC, most recent data showed about a 10% difference. I only say this as I dislike seeing these sorts of posts becoming the source of rumor and false information going forward.