Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The simplest explanation is that the model 3 has a new(ish) type of motor, and they felt in order to avoid torque ripple they needed to modulate the launch. This is all speculation, but I like narrowing things down to changed variables. If the model 3 RWD has a similarly languid launch, then there's more evidence that the switched reluctance permanent magnet motor needs to be launched less aggressively, and the induction motor in front does most of the heavy lifitng. I'll let the internet engineers chime in.

The simplest explanation is that the model 3 has a new(ish) type of motor, and they felt in order to avoid torque ripple they needed to modulate the launch. This is all speculation, but I like narrowing things down to changed variables. If the model 3 RWD has a similarly languid launch, then there's more evidence that the switched reluctance permanent magnet motor needs to be launched less aggressively, and the induction motor in front does most of the heavy lifitng. I'll let the internet engineers chime in.

You may be on to something, but the other way around. The PMSR is phase locked to the drive signals/ commutation. Whereas the AC Induction has the rotor slip factor to contend with. As a result, the control of the AC type is less precise in term of torque control (torque ties to speed in the AC motor, whereas they are directly separately measurable/ controllable in the PMSR). Thus the launch control waveform may be super aggressive on the S/X.

So the new behavior may be intentional from a passenger/ driver comfort point of view.

Ripple would exist at any high torque operating point albeit at a different frequency.

It is physics. From rest, much of a car's power is consumed in getting the car moving to overcome static friction. Once this static friction has been overcome more energy is available to accelerate the car.

See Friction - Wikipedia - checkout diagram in static friction section

What are you referring to?
The hubs and gears all have ball or needle bearing, so I don't know of any static friction locations.
Are you thinking of inertia?

It is physics. From rest, much of a car's power is consumed in getting the car moving to overcome static friction. Once this static friction has been overcome more energy is available to accelerate the car.

See Friction - Wikipedia - checkout diagram in static friction section
Uhm. I can push a car with my bare hands on a flat surface. Unless you've got the brakes on there isn't a whole lot of static friction.

Weight transfer is independent of the drive wheels. That's why RWD cars can accelerate faster than FWD cars, the weight transfers to the drive wheels instead of off of them.

I think @Nocturnal may have meant chassis dynamics (though they said weight transfer) The more the front motor is doing, the less rear wheel torque to lift the front end. To the extreme that you can't pop a (normal) wheelie in a front wheel drive car.

I think @Nocturnal may have meant chassis dynamics (though they said weight transfer) The more the front motor is doing, the less rear wheel torque to lift the front end. To the extreme that you can't pop a (normal) wheelie in a front wheel drive car.
You can't pop a wheelie on a front wheel drive car because you'll lose traction. Equal weight distribution, suspension stiffness, and acceleration the weight transfer to the rear of the car will be identical.
Weight transfer - Wikipedia

Reactions: TrumpetTitan
I have wondered about brake hold’s impact on launches too. Need someone with a Dragy to stomp on it with and without brake hold to see what happens.

I find our S accelerates faster when I turn on slip start. Maybe you can try that in your 3.

i tested brake hold and slip start and it made no noticeable (at least advantageous) difference.

from my other thread...

Keep soc above 90% for optimal times. 100% not necessary. 70-89% not that much worse, I think I was averaging 3.6s. You're not going to feel the difference on the butt dyno.

Tire pressure you'll want to keep at recommended psi. Under inflating to try and get more grip does absolutely nothing cept make it worse. 42-45 seems to get the best numbers for my stock 18's. I also do not think adding more weight to try and get more grip will also improve, but I have yet to disprove this.

Slip start has given me worse numbers. I'd keep it off.

Creep doesn't affect my numbers. I actually got my best number of 3.53 with it on but dont think it had anything to do with it.

Also, running the air conditioning on full blast didnt seem to negatively affect power to the motors. I did have mine off most of the time for the videos so you can hear the motor but didnt get better results with it off.

You can't pop a wheelie on a front wheel drive car because you'll lose traction. Equal weight distribution, suspension stiffness, and acceleration the weight transfer to the rear of the car will be identical.
Weight transfer - Wikipedia

Yes, I get that. I'm saying the feel of a rear wheel launch is partly due to the front of the car rising. Weight transfer requires acceleration, rotating the chassis can be done at a standstill (depending on tire stickyness). Rear wheel torque reaction, not mass versus CG height.

P3D doesn't launch nearly as hard from stop as a P85. It's super quick but it doesn't have that make you sick initial hit.
How would you compare the two? I've got a friend that works for Tesla who feels the P3D hits harder at first, but doesn't last as long as the P100D for example.
The quote I responded to was comparing M3P and MSP85 (see above). That's what I was disagreeing with.

Regarding P85D...

"How": Drive them back to back.

Oh, you probably mean what is my evaluation.

M3P feels somewhere between* P85D (Insane) and P85D (Ludicrous) in a straight line. Our P100D is a whole different level.

As for performance "with turning involved" and "with stamina involved", the M3P is much better than any S offering I've driven.

* Point of clarification: My gut reaction (literally) was identical in this regard to my co-pilot. She (physically) hates what the P100D [Illyria] does to her breathing, was "ok" with P85D (Insane) [Mercury @ delivery] and "uncomfortable" with P85D (Ludicrous) [Mercury @ post-op]. She loves riding and driving the M3P [Beatrice] -- with no required "human governing" of throttle use. In fact, it's the first time she's giggled in a Tesla since the P85 [TesS]. Happier household. :)

Last edited:
If you think about it, the P3 might feel slow off the line because it's the smoothest power band ever. According to some Dragy data out there, It takes .5s to go 0-10, 1s to go 0-20, 1.5s to go 0-30, 2.1s to go 0-40, 2.7s to go 0-50, 3.5s to go 0-60. 30-50 time is 1.3s. If those numbers are accurate, then I think it's just the way we're perceiving the power.