Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, I'd really like to see 2.9x 0-60. A bit more grunt from 60-80 would be really nice too..that's where the car just doesn't feel as powerful as it seems like it SHOULD given the "numbers."

Not trying to be argumentative, but what would a sub-3.0 second 0-60 actually do for the car? It still won't be quite as quick as the big-boy M5/E63 sedans, nor as the P100D, and in any case, once past 60 mph they'd still just pull away, just like they do now.

The car is already WAY quicker than any of its direct competitors, and can I just say that if you'd told me 10 years ago that I'd be discussing "disappointment" about a car's 3.2 second 0-60 time, I'd have thought you were nuts!

Reactions: MoreAgain
Not trying to be argumentative, but what would a sub-3.0 second 0-60 actually do for the car? It still won't be quite as quick as the big-boy M5/E63 sedans, nor as the P100D, and in any case, once past 60 mph they'd still just pull away, just like they do now.

The car is already WAY quicker than any of its direct competitors, and can I just say that if you'd told me 10 years ago that I'd be discussing "disappointment" about a car's 3.2 second 0-60 time, I'd have thought you were nuts!

It's all about marketing and product differentiation, especially for Tesla's. Virtually no one quotes the 1/4 mile time when comparing the different models and the default stat used is 0-60.

Yep, I'd really like to see 2.9x 0-60. A bit more grunt from 60-80 would be really nice too..that's where the car just doesn't feel as powerful as it seems like it SHOULD given the "numbers."

Don't let the way the top end acceleration feels fool you. I sold my 473whp Camaro to a friend. That car was the opposite of my model 3 performance in terms of power delivery. The Camaro felt sluggish of off the line but once it was rolling it pulled hard.

We were on our way to the drag strip and decided to dip a roll race at 80mph. I assumed the Camaro would easily accelerate ahead of me. We floored it and the Tesla pulled away no problem. The Tesla felt slow line trying to accelerate a car in too high of a gear but it was moving. I asked my friend when we stopped what gear he down shifted to assuming he only went to 4th since he couldn't keep up. To my surprise he had gone down to 3rd. I remember how hard the Camaro threw you back in the seat at 80 when flooring it in 3rd. But the Tesla easily pulled ahead of it with no drama.

I can't find any information on this? What's your source? Could you provide a link?
Q3 call
Tesla, Inc. (TSLA) Q3 2019 Earnings Call Transcript | The Motley Fool

Elon R. Musk -- Founder, Chief Executive Officer & Director

I mean, Model S -- basic Model S at this point has a range of 370 miles. Actually, technically it's 373, but we actually certified it incorrectly as 370, but it's 373. And there are some software improvements that we think will make that even better. I forgot to mention, we're also expecting there's going to be an over-the-air improvement that will improve the power of the Model S, X, and 3. That's, by the way coming in a few weeks. Should be in the order of 5% power improvement due to improved firmware. Drew, do you want to say anything on that?

Don't let the way the top end acceleration feels fool you. I sold my 473whp Camaro to a friend. That car was the opposite of my model 3 performance in terms of power delivery. The Camaro felt sluggish of off the line but once it was rolling it pulled hard.

We were on our way to the drag strip and decided to dip a roll race at 80mph. I assumed the Camaro would easily accelerate ahead of me. We floored it and the Tesla pulled away no problem. The Tesla felt slow line trying to accelerate a car in too high of a gear but it was moving. I asked my friend when we stopped what gear he down shifted to assuming he only went to 4th since he couldn't keep up. To my surprise he had gone down to 3rd. I remember how hard the Camaro threw you back in the seat at 80 when flooring it in 3rd. But the Tesla easily pulled ahead of it with no drama.

I agree with both of these statements. 0-60 doesn't NEED to be faster, 2.9x is really just bragging rights, which is silly, but fun. I am well aware that the car isn't actually "slow" in any way in that 60-80+ zone, it just FEELS slow because it's so brutal from 5-50. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: MOAR POWAH = MOAR BETTAH! Even if it's completely "unnecessary," it's still fun and awesome that Tesla gives it away for free when they figure out that they can do it safely. Getting ~50 more hp and ft-lb of torque [between the two +5% power updates] in most performance cars is decidedly NOT free and requires a reasonable amount of work and parts.

Q3 call
Tesla, Inc. (TSLA) Q3 2019 Earnings Call Transcript | The Motley Fool

Elon R. Musk -- Founder, Chief Executive Officer & Director

I mean, Model S -- basic Model S at this point has a range of 370 miles. Actually, technically it's 373, but we actually certified it incorrectly as 370, but it's 373. And there are some software improvements that we think will make that even better. I forgot to mention, we're also expecting there's going to be an over-the-air improvement that will improve the power of the Model S, X, and 3. That's, by the way coming in a few weeks. Should be in the order of 5% power improvement due to improved firmware. Drew, do you want to say anything on that?

Thanks I did find that at the very bottom of the report. Now I can see why it's flown under everyone's radar. Also it's not linked to a clear number in terms of the firmware so it's just open quotes in a couple of weeks close quotes. So who knows when we'll see that. I do not see it in any of the recent firmware update notes and I'm sure they would have a note on it so I suspect we'll just have to sit on our hands for a while until it pops up. Never a bad thing to get more HP though! Especially when it's unexpected.

I really enjoy your drag race videos. Hope you have more of 'em coming soon. I'm not in a situation to drag my car anytime soon, so I have to live vicariously through you. :D

I remember how hard the Camaro threw you back in the seat at 80 when flooring it in 3rd. But the Tesla easily pulled ahead of it with no drama.

I drive my wife's LR RWD Model 3 quite a bit. While it's not brutally fast, it *is* deceptively fast. In real-world driving situations, it's better than many cars that can pull faster drag times (which is not a super long list anyway). It's the lack of the need to downshift that provides the biggest advantage. It's always ready to "go" without hesitation.

Reactions: NOLA_Mike