Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OT: is that a miata in your profile pic? And are you like 7' tall?
Haha. I'm 6'3" with a long torso. I like how ridiculous that picture is. That Miata is now an Exocet and I fit much better.
IMG_2623.jpg

View attachment 390922 English Racing had already dynoed the software update on their P3D, so we know where the power is added.

Our Performance Model 3 Tesla

1) I am sad that it has all turned out exactly as promised and expected. No surprises at all.
2) I am curious about the x-axis here. At some point I'm going to gather the 5mph increment splits and see if I can see this torque drop off that allegedly occurs at 40mph (those using the camera method should try it before/after too). It appeared to me already on the previous software that the torque drop didn't occur until 45mph or so, and in this plot it looks closer to 40mph. X-axis is probably all arbitrary on a dyno I guess. I thought it previously peaked at 5252*450hp/471ft-lbs = 5017rpm? Maybe it's not that ideal?
3) Scandal: 463/451 => 2.7% peak power increase. We should complain and ask why the AWD owners are getting 8%! Sadly we were only promised "an average of approximately 5%" peak HP increase. I'm really getting into this Tesla ownership thing; complain constantly! ;)

• Funny
Reactions: SR22pilot
Haha. I'm 6'3" with a long torso. I like how ridiculous that picture is. That Miata is now an Exocet and I fit much better.View attachment 390948
I may pick your brain via DM viz the Miata as a track car. There is a lot of track time in my future and I’ve been doing a lot of hard thinking about the 3 as my main track vehicle vs. a dedicated track rat and a Miata seems like a good option. Anyway back to the power increase talk :)

1) I am sad that it has all turned out exactly as promised and expected. No surprises at all.
2) I am curious about the x-axis here. At some point I'm going to gather the 5mph increment splits and see if I can see this torque drop off that allegedly occurs at 40mph (those using the camera method should try it before/after too). It appeared to me already on the previous software that the torque drop didn't occur until 45mph or so, and in this plot it looks closer to 40mph. X-axis is probably all arbitrary on a dyno I guess. I thought it previously peaked at 5252*450hp/471ft-lbs = 5017rpm? Maybe it's not that ideal?
3) Scandal: 463/451 => 2.7% peak power increase. We should complain and ask why the AWD owners are getting 8%! Sadly we were only promised "an average of approximately 5%" peak HP increase. I'm really getting into this Tesla ownership thing; complain constantly! ;)

of course I have high regard Alan for your ability to analyze these things. However I see a little bit better news in that consistent separation of the horsepower curves all the way out to past 120 miles an hour. I think this means we might see two tenths of a second Improvement in quarter mile times say down to 11.5 or 11.6 with roughly 2 mph trap speed Improvement and maybe maybe a a bit less than tenth of a second Improvement in 0 to 60. Maybe someone will crack the 3.1 barrier. Or perhaps I'm just eternally optimistic

of course I have high regard Alan for your ability to analyze these things. However I see a little bit better news in that consistent separation of the horsepower curves all the way out to 110 miles an hour. I think this means we might see two tenths of a second Improvement in quarter mile times say down to 11.5 or 11.6 with roughly two miles / hour trap speed Improvement and maybe maybe a a bit less than tenth of a second Improvement in 0 to 60.

Of course for people who use the vehicle there it's big. And I'm really not complaining, it's fine! I just don't do quarter mile runs, and for autocross (if I ever go back and do it again, which I might not), I would need more from 5mph - 50mph. I already find that I can inadvertently attain downright frightening (and possibly very expensive) speeds when passing people on the back roads of San Diego County. It's true that I should be able to make the passing window shorter now, which is definitely good for safety.

Of course for people who use the vehicle there it's big. And I'm really not complaining, it's fine! I just don't do quarter mile runs, and for autocross (if I ever go back and do it again, which I might not), I would need more from 5mph - 50mph. I already find that I can inadvertently attain downright frightening (and possibly very expensive) speeds when passing people on the back roads of San Diego County. It's true that I should be able to make the passing window shorter now, which is definitely good for safety.

Yes the car is already scary fast. Since I've done a lot to make it quieter the speed is even more deceptive. I'm not sure how much noise I've knocked down on the highway but I reckon 3db at least with another couple DB to come from a few other tweaks. Coming back from Tampa I was just cruising along and looked down at the speedometer and realized I was going over 90. Yikes. It felt like about 65-70

Yes the car is already scary fast. Since I've done a lot to make it quieter the speed is even more deceptive. I'm not sure how much noise I've knocked down on the highway but I reckon 3db at least with another couple DB to come from a few other tweaks. Coming back from Tampa I was just cruising along and looked down at the speedometer and realized I was going over 90. Yikes. It felt like about 65-70

What have you done on the sound deadening front? Do you have a post you can point me to documenting your changes?

Thx!

Mike

What have you done on the sound deadening front? Do you have a post you can point me to documenting your changes?

Thx!

Mike
I can give you the thumbnail synopsis but some of it's already available in other threads on the audiophile thread and on the undercoating thread
1) heavily Dynamatting all four doors, the front suspension towers and the trunk. More on that to come
2) undercoating the fibrous felt type wheel Liners in the rear wheel wells. Front ones are plastic and I haven't gotten to them yet and it's not clear to me that the rubberized paint will really make much of a difference there but I haven't decided on that one yet.
3) RPM Tesla wind reduction kit
4) wind noise reduction in this thread consisting of multiple extra strips of weatherstripping / door Sealing

I got the update notice this morning. Did a 0-60 before applying the update on a flat stretch (Dragy verified) and got my best 0-60 yet at 3.51s for that location. Applied update and after a few more runs I did get a couple of 3.47's. The car did seem to pull a bit harder towards the end. Given that dyno plot it seems about right.

Thanks for doing that, Can you do a quarter mile run as well?

Took my P3D+ to the strip this weekend (v2019.8.5), made 5 passes:
  • 11.968 @ 112.55, 1.802 60ft (w/passenger)
  • 11.880 @ 112.61, 1.795 60ft
  • 11.885 @ 112.71, 1.804 60ft
  • 11.888 @ 111.77, 1.792 60ft
  • 11.905 @ 112.10, 1.817 60ft
Started the runs at 84% charge, ended at 73% charge. Runs 2 and 3 were in Track Mode. Had a great time, surprised a few ICE's, last run was side-by-side with a 2019 Nissan GTR - pulled him on the 60ft, then he nudged past at top end (he ran 11.202).

I find the ranges of reported numbers interesting.

There are several YouTube users (DAErik being one of the most popular) who consistently post numbers in the 3.1 or 3.2 range.

I think they are quoting numbers with rollout. Teslas seem to be very consistent with performance. I doubt those 3.1 seconds times. That's significantly faster than most online reported numbers as well as Dragy.

Also, important to note is the fastest P3D (which is a P3D-) on Dragy from 0-60 MPH is running OEM Michelin MXM4 tires, so as previously stated by other members, the Model 3's acceleration is not traction limited.

Does anyone have any insight into getting the dragy software to work properly. I'm unable to rename my user ID or modify any account information. Do you have to do something on their website to get this buggy software to work? It's an amazingly frustrating interface

Does anyone have any insight into getting the dragy software to work properly. I'm unable to rename my user ID or modify any account information. Do you have to do something on their website to get this buggy software to work? It's an amazingly frustrating interface

No trouble for me. Tap on "Me" at bottom, tap on user icon, then tap edit button at top-right (pencil/paper icon) to go to Profile Page. Changing username or Location working fine. I'm using their Android app.

No trouble for me. Tap on "Me" at bottom, tap on user icon, then tap edit button at top-right (pencil/paper icon) to go to Profile Page. Changing username or Location working fine. I'm using their Android app.

Actually you have to click on "Me" at the bottom and then you have to click on your avatar in the circle up top, and then you'll see the edit icon (pencil) at the top right.

Also, I concur with the above about 3.1 being P3D with rollout. Every single P3D posted on Dragy is no better than a 3.1 rollout time, with the worst P3D having a 3.35 rollout time. So the average P3D 0-60 with rollout seems to be 3.2 - which is exactly what Tesla is advertising it as on their site.