Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D+ Acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For sure that lighter combo would be expected to help your 0 to 60 times. Those are excellent times, and your two tenths of a second pickup is about what other people are reporting for dropping 10 pounds off the wheel-tire combination a corner. But why would you assume that a generic Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is somehow grippier than a tire made for Tesla? You are aware of course or at least I assume you are aware that the tread width on the OEM 20in 235/35 - 20 is actually greater on the OEM tire then the generic 235 / 45 - 18 PS4?
It's just what my butt feels when I take the same corners daily. Yes I am aware from the other thread about PS4S differences that the OEM 235 tire is actually almost as wide as 255.

I guess I assume that based off others information from that thread about Tesla wanting a harder compound for efficiency.

With either MPP or RB rotors you can obviate that spacer and make the front lip go away. Worth thinking about since you seem to be serious about tracking the car. Both rotors have better heat dissipation and replaceable disc blanks.

Yes, I've seen those Girodisc that MPP offers. They are certainly beautiful, but I'm trying to find a C/Sic solution using Model S calipers.

Reactions: dfwatt
Do you have pictures? How do they look?

Nice setup
Honestly it looks derpy as hell when stepping down to 18's (with a lip) from 20's with a flush face on stock ride height. And the high offset doesn't help either, but that can easily be resolved. I should have my MPP Sport coilovers on soon.

The wheels look really small since it has a lip, and even looks small against the OEM 18's with aero cover.

Last edited:
Honestly it looks derpy as hell when stepping down to 18's (with a lip) from 20's with a flush face on stock ride height. And the high offset doesn't help either, but that can easily be resolved. I should have my MPP Sport coilovers on soon.

The wheels look really small since it has a lip, and even looks small against the OEM 18's with aero cover.

Yeah they look goofy... I had some replica TC105's that still weighted 19lbs for 18X9s that I regret selling. I wonder how much better the car will look lowered.

IMG_20180914_143727509_HDR.jpg

I read this somewhere myself, that WOT from a standstill is a gradual thing. Could have been from just some guy on the internet but I think it was from a reputable source. I experience the same thing as you.

It is and does because of the traction control system. If we could disable traction control we could leave 4 streaks of rubber with all the instant torque these cars have. We would also probably start snapping the half shafts and all other sorts of damage. I wish the P model had more control over the nannies though.

It is and does because of the traction control system. If we could disable traction control we could leave 4 streaks of rubber with all the instant torque these cars have. We would also probably start snapping the half shafts and all other sorts of damage. I wish the P model had more control over the nannies though.

Streaks of rubber, sure, but you're not going to snap half shafts by doing a burnout. The whole reason the traction control operates the way it does is to cut power is so you actually can put the power to the ground. You don't think Tesla would offer some sort of toggle if that could give you up some tire life it'd give you faster acceleration, they wouldn't have that available? Spinning tires doesn't get you faster 0-60 times.

Reactions: StealthP3D
If we could disable traction control we could leave 4 streaks of rubber with all the instant torque these cars have.

Why do you think this? It's true that the torque ramps up from 0 to maximum torque by about 4mph in the P3D, but even if that limitation were removed and there was a lot of "jerk" (rate of change of acceleration), there is no reason to think there would be sufficient torque to break the tires free in a straight line. At most, it would be the same constant torque as it is up to 45mph, which is also not enough to break the tires free.

In a P3D, there just isn't as much torque to the wheels as there is in a ~450HP ICE vehicle in 1st gear. Unfortunately (or fortunately) those vehicles have to shift which takes time. Also spinning the tires doesn't get you anywhere so it's kind of silly.

In my foot to the floor launches on good dry surfaces, I've never noticed any traction control intervention. Just the smooth onset of torque (which is software limited) and has nothing to do with traction control as far as I can tell (it's not torque limiting based on wheel slip - it's just software limited to prevent jerk and possibly due to PMSR motor limitations).

If you want to spin the tires, put some 235/35R18 low rolling resistance tires on it with an all-season compound. Might just get you there. It might even be possible to spin the tires all the way to 45mph. The nice fat wheel gaps will also be super sweet to go along with your lower ground clearance. You'll probably beat all the P3Ds you're racing, at least to 60mph.

Last edited:
Why do you think this? It's true that the torque ramps up from 0 to maximum torque by about 4mph in the P3D, but even if that limitation were removed and there was a lot of "jerk" (rate of change of acceleration), there is no reason to think there would be sufficient torque to break the tires free in a straight line. At most, it would be the same constant torque as it is up to 45mph, which is also not enough to break the tires free.

In a P3D, there just isn't as much torque to the wheels as there is in a ~450HP ICE vehicle in 1st gear. Unfortunately (or fortunately) those vehicles have to shift which takes time. Also spinning the tires doesn't get you anywhere so it's kind of silly.

In my foot to the floor launches on good dry surfaces, I've never noticed any traction control intervention. Just the smooth onset of torque (which is software limited) and has nothing to do with traction control as far as I can tell (it's not torque limiting based on wheel slip - it's just software limited to prevent jerk and possibly due to PMSR motor limitations).

If you want to spin the tires, put some 235/35R18 low rolling resistance tires on it with an all-season compound. Might just get you there. It might even be possible to spin the tires all the way to 45mph. The nice fat wheel gaps will also be super sweet to go along with your lower ground clearance. You'll probably beat all the P3Ds you're racing, at least to 60mph.

I hear you but it feels like the software limitation, which is really just torque management and traction control are creating that smooth onset of torque you are describing. If that was not programmed in then we should be able break traction when we plant our right foot. Maybe not that much with AWD on a surface with good grip but that is a lot of instant torque. It is strange how little drama there is in a car that can pull 0-60 in 3.2 sec and 11.7s in the 1/4 mile.

Have you tried it in Track Mode to see if there is any difference? I know it will increase regen and relax the stability control but not sure about traction so you can actually drift it or not.

[QUOTE="raptor5244, post: 3793423, member: 103451"

Have you tried it in Track Mode to see if there is any difference? I know it will increase regen and relax the stability control but not sure about traction so you can actually drift it or not.[/QUOTE]

I think this is exactly @AlanSubie4Life 's point. You absolutely CAN drift in a P3D with track mode enabled, but on a good surface in a straight line, the car just hooks and GOES. I've done many launches (as have others ) with track mode enabled. It makes little to no difference in the car's behaviour in a straight line. I've also directly measured the acceleration of my car from 0-100+ mph several times, the slope of the acceleration curve [AKA jerk] from 0-5 mph is VERY steep. I'm sure that the computers are modulating the torque some, but it's not much.

The lack of "drama" while being very, very fast is part of Tesla's design philosophy. I love it. Drama can be fun, but 99.9% of the time, I just want to be FAST while not drawing attention to myself.

[QUOTE="raptor5244, post: 3793423, member: 103451"

Have you tried it in Track Mode to see if there is any difference? I know it will increase regen and relax the stability control but not sure about traction so you can actually drift it or not.

I think this is exactly @AlanSubie4Life 's point. You absolutely CAN drift in a P3D with track mode enabled, but on a good surface in a straight line, the car just hooks and GOES. I've done many launches (as have others ) with track mode enabled. It makes little to no difference in the car's behaviour in a straight line. I've also directly measured the acceleration of my car from 0-100+ mph several times, the slope of the acceleration curve [AKA jerk] from 0-5 mph is VERY steep. I'm sure that the computers are modulating the torque some, but it's not much.

The lack of "drama" while being very, very fast is part of Tesla's design philosophy. I love it. Drama can be fun, but 99.9% of the time, I just want to be FAST while not drawing attention to myself.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback. One thing I notice between my SR+ and Performance is not just overall acceleration but the throttle response. It feels like they increase the throttle response on the P such that very little input delivers more acceleration.