Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 modded to be a P85 w/Ludicrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Basically a design that I can use for any of my upcoming projects.
MrW5mUX.gif

Count me in for a P85+ upgrade. Or a P100+ (mostly this.)

this is great! can you swap out the rear motor for the newer motor as well, would it make a difference?

This actually is a new motor. I recently had the last one replaced by Tesla under warranty due to a horrible milling noise. They ended up putting in a new unit, revision Q or so.... which was something that prompted me to accelerate this particular project.

The only thing at this point that could be done to get more power out of the system would be reduce the voltage drop from the battery (by replacing the battery with something with less internal-resistance). If higher voltage could be maintained under load then more power could be output at the same current (which is the actual limiting factor). That's a project for another day, however. ;)

Reactions: CHL

Does that really work? I wouldn't think they were heavy enough to trigger the sensors.

I love the Captains crushers - I have a Trainer, #1 and #2 on my desk at work and would mindlessly work them while on conference calls.

After over a year or training, I was able to crush the #2 but after doing it once my hand was pretty useless to do it again that day. I don't know how on earth people have closed the #3. The side effect was that I had crushing strength when shaking someone's hand, I had to tone it down so I didn't seem like I was "that guy" when meeting vendors.

• Funny
Reactions: Mickie
Milling noise will probably come back again with all this power

Wk it's a smart guy who could do a lot of good things in Tesla Motors. But nothing fun. Tesla probably done stuff like this year ago. But in every day use. This driveunit wont hold many months or weeks.
Wk is the guy for us :) show what fun we can do when the warranty is out :)

smart guy who could do a lot of good things in Tesla Motors. But nothing fun

What?! You must be in the minority here in thinking that working for Tesla wouldn't be a compelling and fun environment for a young engineer. I like hacking like the next guy, but engineering a world beating car in a large motivated team of smart people is going to be a fun opportunity.

Does that really work? I wouldn't think they were heavy enough to trigger the sensors.

I love the Captains crushers - I have a Trainer, #1 and #2 on my desk at work and would mindlessly work them while on conference calls.

After over a year or training, I was able to crush the #2 but after doing it once my hand was pretty useless to do it again that day. I don't know how on earth people have closed the #3. The side effect was that I had crushing strength when shaking someone's hand, I had to tone it down so I didn't seem like I was "that guy" when meeting vendors.

It's a trainer (.5) and it does work. It provides just enough weight to trick the sensor, but not too much that it could disable autosteer.

Obviously, this was for testing purposes only. I don't recommend that anyone actually overrides the safety mechanisms of their vehicles.

• Funny
Reactions: Icer
True but if all of the resources he spends getting into the system could be more productively spent on the system inside instead.
That is the eternal bureaucratic question. It applies to almost every question that juxtaposes group cooperation with individual innovation.
Group cooperation- ideally interdisciplinary working-allows unexpected analogies to emerge.
Individual creativity- at its' best allows inferences to be drawn more quickly, thus solve problems that might never happen in the melee of group work.

Both are crucial. Both bring unexpected innovation. Neither solves all problems.
I suppose wk057 agrees with that. He clearly enjoys solving seemingly insoluble tasks on his own. He seems to imagine he'd be stifled in a corporate context. (Please tell me if I'm wrong wk057!)
Tesla is undergoing a transition from beginnings that themselves were largely team-based and individually expressed and inspired. Thus Tesla is one of the prototypical Silicon Valley enterprises.

The brilliant insights and accomplishments of wk057 have already had definite positive impact on Tesla with a bit of discord too. That is the way these things happen. I read these threads with excitement and awe every time! I hope they never end.
Although I have never met you wk057, I hope to cure that sometime soon.

Note: these comments are based in a grossly over-simplified way, on work I did for one of my several graduate degrees, this one in Social Psychology, in small group dynamics, focused on individual vs group-based innovation. I admit that was a long time ago, but the standard tools (e.g. the Miller Analogies Test) are still around. My personal view is that cross-cultural experience has similar results. tests measure eitehr one well, but only for people who are deeply engaged in the culture of the test and have a broad educational background.

Sorry about this if I'm OT. I don't think I am, as everyone seems to be thinking about all wk057 could do for Tesla. Me too. Please tell me to buzz off if I'm out of line wk057. the last thing i want to do is irritate you.

So, I just finished some initial testing of my latest modification to the yellow P85 (the one that has retrofitted autopilot hardware). Haven't gotten a lot of pics or videos together yet (roads have been wet from melting snow, so not great conditions for testing), but I can't resist sharing some initial details.

So far the car is a ~570HP RWD monster that desperately needs wider rear tires. It doesn't even have the staggered rims, so I'm putting this all through 245's at the moment and traction control stays on up to like 45 MPH. lol.

The car and everything in it are now running P85D firmware. The battery has been upgraded to a P85D Ludicrous pack. The car does not actually have a front motor, however. The front motor is being emulated by custom hardware and software that essentially tricks the car into thinking there is a front motor and that all of the power needs to go to the rear... and it does exactly that.

The performance rear drive units appear to have a max current of around 1400A. Ludicrous allows ~1520A, so even with HVAC on and such the motor can still max out. :)

In my testing at around 90% SoC and battery at about 32C the power maxed out at about 426kW. I plan on trying Max Battery Power @ 100% charge. Oh, and launch mode works too. :)

I finished up some code to make the car happy enough to not display any errors at all finally, but by then the pack was down to about 50% SoC. Did a few more test runs and snapped some photos of the dev readouts screen.

p85L.jpg

(Even at 50% SoC was still getting ~380kW/508 HP)

Hopefully roads dry up and I can grab the VBOX tomorrow for some testing at 100% SoC and a warm pack. :)

More soon.

(Yes, it's technically the wife's car.... although she uses the X mostly now)

Jason Hughes on Twitter

Edit: Oh, and um... I may plan on offering this modification as a service at some point to P85/P85+ folks. ;)

Edit: Video:
Please sell this to me
Ps I would also love it if you sold the auto drive to

Reactions: jbcarioca
Can someone summarize the component limits for each variant. I realize many may be unknown but something like:

Battery:
S60(new)/S70/S75 max amps:
S85 v1 max amps:
S85 v2 max amps:
S90 max amps:
P100D max amps:

Fuse pack / contactors
S60/70/75 max amps:
S85/90 max amps:
P85/90 max amps:
P90DL max amps:
P100D max amps:

Rear motor unit:
S60/70/75 max amps:
S85 max amps:
P85 max amps:
P90D/P90DL max amps:

Software (?):
Not sure if this is involved in the limits.

I see bits and pieces of this info, but if someone with the big picture could map it out it would be great.

If offering this as an upgrade to other P85s how do you intend to source the ludicrous packs?

It wouldn't be able to be something that I would have an unlimited amount of supplies for, certainly. However, Ludicrous capable packs are more common now since nearly all cars produced after the Ludicrous announcement have the new contactors and pyrofuse. Upgrading an existing pack to Ludicrous isn't impossible, but I'd probably do it as a swap where I keep the old pack.

But yeah, it would certainly be a limited offer on a parts availability basis, but I'm pretty sure I could do one or two a month if that's what I decided to focus on.

Hmm. Unsure what you mean by S85 v1 vs v2. Are you referring to the flex packs for dual motors? I'm not aware of a difference in max battery power regardless.
S85 = 1000 amps
P85 = 1200 amps

I don't have the S85 number in front of me, but I'm pretty sure it's 950A. The P85 is definitely 1150A.

That is the eternal bureaucratic question. It applies to almost every question that juxtaposes group cooperation with individual innovation.
Group cooperation- ideally interdisciplinary working-allows unexpected analogies to emerge.
Individual creativity- at its' best allows inferences to be drawn more quickly, thus solve problems that might never happen in the melee of group work.
You're going a step further than I meant. I'm talking about inside vs. outside, not about whether he works "with the team" or "alone" with the tooling available in-house (under NDA, etc.).