Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 modded to be a P85 w/Ludicrous

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wk057 thank you for your posts. For those of us who's expertise is in areas other than mechanical, computer or electrical engineering, your abilities are mind blowing. Would it be possible for me to send you a PM with a technical question?

So I'll start by saying that I'm not really contemplating doing this, but based on the description posted so far, it seems that the main obstacle to this mod was convincing a P85/P85+ that it was autopilot equipped before you could simulate the front motor with your CAN hardware.
By extension, that would seem to imply to me that a car such as mine (which already has AP) would only require the CAN motor simulator plus a software tweak to make it a P85+D- or some such thing (Performance, 85 battery, + suspension, Dual motor, - a motor ;) )

Reactions: davidc18
So I'll start by saying that I'm not really contemplating doing this, but based on the description posted so far, it seems that the main obstacle to this mod was convincing a P85/P85+ that it was autopilot equipped before you could simulate the front motor with your CAN hardware.
By extension, that would seem to imply to me that a car such as mine (which already has AP) would only require the CAN motor simulator plus a software tweak to make it a P85+D- or some such thing (Performance, 85 battery, + suspension, Dual motor, - a motor ;) )

If you have a P85+ with autopilot... then yeah, most of the work is done since you have a bit of a unicorn already. :) Still a good amount of work, since you need a pack upgrade and potentially a motor upgrade, among other things.

Any new news on this p85++ I love reading about it hope to see some more videos

Weather's been too crappy to do much more with it lately. Hopefully have some time to tinker more soon when the weather clears up.

If you have a P85+ with autopilot... then yeah, most of the work is done since you have a bit of a unicorn already. :) Still a good amount of work, since you need a pack upgrade and potentially a motor upgrade, among other things.

Weather's been too crappy to do much more with it lately. Hopefully have some time to tinker more soon when the weather clears up.
I understand weather been crappy(wet) here to in Ohio but better then snow

My understanding is that the rear motor in a P85+ vs a P85D would be the same, and I'd be surprised if the P85D was using a different pack than the P85+ (especially in the first P85Ds off the line compared to the last few P85+s) So while you wouldn't get "ludicrous" easily (that WOULD need a pack upgrade), you should be able to get "insane" for whatever that's worth I would think. (or are my assumptions completely out to lunch?)

My impression had always been that the only difference between the first P85Ds and the last P85+s (hardware wise) was a front motor. I'd be really curious if there are any other differences between the two models.

wk057 if you put another motor in front and change gear ratio to 6.255 or less, then during highway speeds car would use same amount of energy like during 45mph, if we are only using front motor instead of rear during highway speeds and during slower you would use rear. I think that would make huge difference in range. Tesla with two gears on two different motors used at different speed, that would i think make tesla stock 100D be the same range as /modification of front motor gear ratio and software /60D at 70mph. Aerodynamics sholud be also taken in account but i think this would transform tesla and usability of battery energy. I konw this would cost a lot but finding tesla D salvaged and using front motor with frame and gear ratio would make huge differnce. At the moment i think you are most capable of doing this to software and hardware to tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
My understanding is that the rear motor in a P85+ vs a P85D would be the same, and I'd be surprised if the P85D was using a different pack than the P85+ (especially in the first P85Ds off the line compared to the last few P85+s) So while you wouldn't get "ludicrous" easily (that WOULD need a pack upgrade), you should be able to get "insane" for whatever that's worth I would think. (or are my assumptions completely out to lunch?)

My impression had always been that the only difference between the first P85Ds and the last P85+s (hardware wise) was a front motor. I'd be really curious if there are any other differences between the two models.
The p85d has a fuse rated for higher current, no clue if that could be swapped with a reasonable amount of effort.

Quite a few other differences. There is an additional cooling pump, completely different wiring harnesses for a lot of the car (including the thermal control module), a new motor revision/hwid, battery pack changes (fuse/contactors), new HVJB, and more. A P85+ w/autopilot -> P85++ would certainly be simpler than a non-AP P85(+) -> P85++ but would still be reasonably involved.

Just took the next step :)

2017-02-06%2017.35.59-1920.jpg