Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D front motor vibration issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was unable to detect the sarcasm in your post.
I was being sarcastic.
Is Tesla going to be airlifting thousands of motor mounts to Norway just as they airlifted thousands of drive units? And at what point is someone at Tesla going to say wow, this is silly, maybe we should engineer things a little bit better or test things a little bit more before we actually ship a product?

Having the same issue. Bearings are in the wheel spindles. Mine sounds like a bearing race is worn, and I had the exact same thing on a 40k mile MS P85, that I had for a while. Same noise, in neutral, sometimes worse when returning to center. Comes right through the steering wheel. It isn't a balance issue, because a wheel being out of balance and having bad wheel bearings, when the races seem like they're going bad, doesn't feel the same. More of a groan/vibration, than a pulse. I'd be curious the rate these go bad on Model S's?

I have had this issue since the day I got the car (85D). I have had it in to Tesla service 3 times to no avail. They always say.."it's normal"...which it is not. I just drove another 85D this weekend and it did not have the groan/vibration. The lack of effort by Tesla is really starting to get on my nerves.

So my P85D (June 2015 build) has started doing this - occasional minor vibration/pulse coming through the steering wheel at low speeds and a bit of a groan as well. My service center says it is normal for dual motor cars with 21" wheels. I'm not buying it - the car didn't do this when I first got it.

Any update on this issue?

So my P85D (June 2015 build) has started doing this - occasional minor vibration/pulse coming through the steering wheel at low speeds and a bit of a groan as well. My service center says it is normal for dual motor cars with 21" wheels. I'm not buying it - the car didn't do this when I first got it.

Any update on this issue?

I reported the issue, when bringing the car in for something else. They said they didn't find anything. I've had 19" snows and still have an occasional near-center groan. I'll try to track if it gets worse, after I put the 21's back on.

I had a thumping noise that sounded like a bad cv joint. They said it was the motor mounts which they adjusted. The problem was solved initially, but now the vibration (which is what it was before it turned into a sound the last time) is back under moderate to heavy acceleration. Don't notice it any other time or even under hard acceleration if I'm already going over 25. Only occurs at low speed.

I had a thumping noise that sounded like a bad cv joint. They said it was the motor mounts which they adjusted. The problem was solved initially, but now the vibration (which is what it was before it turned into a sound the last time) is back under moderate to heavy acceleration. Don't notice it any other time or even under hard acceleration if I'm already going over 25. Only occurs at low speed.
Had the same issue on my 85D right from the delivery back in Mrch'15. During year shift got new drive unit and shafts....the issue was gone. But then I rolled ca.5000km and again starting to notice the vibrations under acceleration. Better heard when the car is 'cold' and the very first acceleration from 0, same vibration b/w 35-60km/h. Not sure what is wrong. Tend to blame a bearing. Any news what the fix is who had is fixed?

I've got confirmation by Tesla's Montreal Service Center that engineers in Fremont are looking to find a fix to this problem. Good news is that they now agree there's a vibration issue.
Is there a fix for this?
My S85D has had light vibration since delivery in october 2015. Recently had the car to a service center, but they couldn't find anything.