Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D no longer fitted with staggered tyres - does this affect traction/performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have experience of 20" with 245 front and 255 rear? Maybe a good trade off?

If wanting to maintain the ability to rotate tires, go 20" all around with 255's. You will rub the front passenger fender, just use a heatgun to reshape the fender plastic just enough to clear where it rubs.

for best performance and handling, go 20" all around but 255 front and 285 rear. This staggered setup will do wonders for handling with the benefit of better rear traction.

Last edited:
we still have mixed feedback from tesla. some saying that this is the 'new configuration' from Tesla and others saying that it's a supply issue and people will get the staggered wheels as soon as they arrive...

This squares with my experience. I called Tesla factory sales recently, and they said that P85D's can only be ordered with staggered 21" wheels or non-staggered 19" wheels. What they actually deliver may be different, however, depending on wheel and tire availability.

Personally, I would order the P85D with 19" wheels and later add the non-staggered 21" wheels as an accessory. Reason: the wider Michelin rear tires cost $300 more per tire than the standard width version of the same tire, and of course, the staggered tires can't be rotated.

If I were to order the P85D I'd insist on the staggered setup. Aside from potential cornering advantages it looks a hell of a lot better as it fills up the gargantuan wheel well better. The more narrow tires make the car look a little boat-like.

P85D no longer fitted with staggered tyres - does this affect traction/perfor...

I mean personally regardless of the above I would still highly recommend my configuration: going aftermarket with 19" TSportline TST wheels which are 8.5" wide (0.5" wider than stock 19s) and then put 255/45ZR19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's on all around. (10mm wider than stock 19s).

Best of all worlds.

74458daf09a0ba932af76a03a6eada37.jpg

The 5mm offset difference with these rims 35mm instead of 40) plus the 10mm wider tires than the 19" OEM really do fill out the wheel well for that aggressive look and with the Tsportline's you keep that factory look (you can get them in silver and black too). The michelin PS A/S 3 are unlike any tire I've personally ever driven on - the grip is AMAZING. Supposedly even though it's an all season it performs better than summer only tires (according to reviews).

ea373898f19fea21dbfd1cf4d1c8cb08.jpg

7c16a0eeb8b04000df4ab25036135871.jpg

9fd71126b353f8e9c8a74f80f177cd1e.jpg

Also since this is 255 all around non staggered I can rotate normally. I have 18k miles on these tires and the wear is good. Easily get 35k+ miles. Maybe over 40.

Goes without saying but I'll mention the obvious: I don't have the pothole/bent rim/tire blown out issues that you'd have with 21s either. Much quieter smoother ride but without sacrificing performance.

Last edited:
we still have mixed feedback from tesla. some saying that this is the 'new configuration' from Tesla and others saying that it's a supply issue and people will get the staggered wheels as soon as they arrive...

I was just at the Fremont delivery center. There were 4 P85D's awaiting delivery, all with the square 245 configuration. A knowledgeable Tesla employee told me that they have configurations from multiple tire suppliers qualified for the P85D. So it looks like the luck of the draw as to whether you get square Continentals or staggered PS2's.

Personally, I would order the P85D with 19" wheels and later add the non-staggered 21" wheels as an accessory. Reason: the wider Michelin rear tires cost $300 more per tire than the standard width version of the same tire, and of course, the staggered tires can't be rotated.

I'm not sure where that $300 figure comes from. Here are the current prices from Tire Rack:

Pilot Sport PS2(Max Performance Summer)
Size: 245/35ZR21
Price: $396.00 (each)

Size: 265/35ZR21
Price: $472.00 (each)

Primacy MXM4(Grand Touring All-Season)
Size: 245/45R19
Price: $269.00 (each)

Found this in another thread:
Since Elon said in the call that for best performance the car should have staggered wheels, and that it can pull 1g lateral when running on "Michelin Pilot SUPER SPORT" tires, I'll bet $100 that they're about to switch back to staggereds because they've resolved their tire supply issue by finally getting Michelin to make a Pilot SS in the 265/35R21 size.
Can a ludicrous P90D be had with staggered setup?

So it seems like staggered will be available again. But from the tread below it seems like 19" is better than 21" for traction/acceleration. Tesla profits on selling 21" instead of 19" and most think 21" makes the car look better, so I understand if Tesla promotes 21". But does the 21" staggered setup really improve the 0-60 acceleration?
The tire and wheel assembly are about the same weight, but the mass of the 19" is closer to the centre of rotation.

- - - Updated - - -
Correct. the contact area is the load / air pressure. The 21" tires have a wider tread area (even though they have the same nominal width), so the contact patch on the the 19" is slightly longer and slightly narrower. This helps forward and reverse traction. (an 18" wheel would be even better if it fit).
19 Inch Wheels on P85D?

Pretty much... fortunately I ordered before they increased the prices in Canada. I paid the same as some another local owner who ordered after me - but I have 21" wheels and premium package. For me, the look of the 21" is worth the harsher ride.

I agree 100%. The car looks 10x nicer with 21" wheels. I really don't care if it slightly affects ride smoothness and I'm fine with buying tires more often. The look is worth it to me.

Found this in another thread:

Can a ludicrous P90D be had with staggered setup?

So it seems like staggered will be available again. But from the tread below it seems like 19" is better than 21" for traction/acceleration. Tesla profits on selling 21" instead of 19" and most think 21" makes the car look better, so I understand if Tesla promotes 21". But does the 21" staggered setup really improve the 0-60 acceleration?

I doubt that the shape of the contact patch has a significant effect on acceleration -- it is more likely to be a function of which contact patch has greater surface area without much regard to the horizontal/vertical dimensions. If the 19" tires are more lightweight, that is much more likely to improve straight line performance.

P85D no longer fitted with staggered tyres - does this affect traction/perfor...

I doubt that the shape of the contact patch has a significant effect on acceleration -- it is more likely to be a function of which contact patch has greater surface area without much regard to the horizontal/vertical dimensions. If the 19" tires are more lightweight, that is much more likely to improve straight line performance.

If the size of the contact patch has no bearing then the drag racers with huge, wide tires are all idiots. They should have asked you what tires were better instead of investing in super wides. :)

The best way to increase the size of the contact patch is to flatten the tire, or widen the tire. Me thinks rolling half flat tires on the free way isn't very bright so the alternative is to widen the tires.