Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D -> P100D upgrade decision...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've owned two Model S' and currently have a fully loaded 2015 P85D coming off lease in January. I was excited to get into a P100D, but after spending time looking at the options and implications, I think I've decided to just purchase my P85D and stay in it a few more years, instead of upgrading.

I'm disappointed that 1) the only interior choice is carbon fiber 2) the leather now seems lower quality/fake 3) I will lose free supercharging 4) they increased the price $25K -- the lack of interior options and colors is also unfortunate (black or white?). I understand why Tesla needed to limit options to simplify production and reduce costs, but all of the above really is a disincentive for current owners to upgrade -- so, reducing costs but also reducing sales. My current vehicle only has 25K miles on it, so there is no rush to upgrade.

Totally agree with you about how disappointing it is that they are only offering carbon fiber as an interior trim option for P100D customers. I find the look of carbon fiber to be super tacky as an interior trim material. I know many like carbon fiber and that is fine but I personally don't consider it an upgrade and I really dislike that look.

I hope they realize not everyone who wants to buy a P100D likes the look of carbon fiber as an interior trim. It's a bit insane how 75D and 100D customers can place an order for their car with whatever interior options offered but if you decide to buy a P100D, they only offer one choice.

Wish they would allow P100D customers to be just as happy as 75D and 100D customers with the interior they select. I realize this could be a cost cutting move but to withhold interior options from the one model that generates the greatest per unit profit? o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: SDRick
P85D to P100D for me would be a net downgrade. No "plus" suspension, no solid roof, rain sensor which doesn't perform in the dark, 40% slower home charging, limited color combinations, and possibly a new bag of things to fix (every new Tesla we owned needed something fixed, sc waits now longer than ever) - all in exchange for a little more power (though most of it in launch mode only from what I learned recently), better blind spot monitoring, bio-hazard mode, and new faster but potentially more buggy MCU (my wife complains how the car screetches at her sometimes for no reason, plus it doesn't have "do not go to sleep mode" so the app often times out before the car manages to wake up to pre-heat it remotely). Not worth it, not even if they gave me 100% of my P85D MSRP as a trade-in value.

P85D to P100D for me would be a net downgrade. No "plus" suspension, no solid roof, rain sensor which doesn't perform in the dark, 40% slower home charging, limited color combinations, and possibly a new bag of things to fix (every new Tesla we owned needed something fixed, sc waits now longer than ever) - all in exchange for a little more power (though most of it in launch mode only from what I learned recently), better blind spot monitoring, bio-hazard mode, and new faster but potentially more buggy MCU (my wife complains how the car screetches at her sometimes for no reason, plus it doesn't have "do not go to sleep mode" so the app often times out before the car manages to wake up to pre-heat it remotely). Not worth it, not even if they gave me 100% of my P85D MSRP as a trade-in value.

I have a P85D and eventually will have to get a P100D (as they obviously aren't making these anymore), I couldn't be happier with the car.
But I was intrigued by your comment about the P100D only being faster in mostly launch mode? My experience has been that even from a 40mph roll the P100D is faster than my P85D. Is this not your experience?

Also, before someone tells me to ged a P3D and keep the P85D for the same price as a P100D...no chance. 1/4 mile times matter amongst my friends and Ive learned you don't trade a 4 carat diamond, for four single carat diamonds . I've beaten both of my coworkers P3Ds from a stoplight and I'm just not willing to get a slower car until Im much older. I like to stay ahead of the latest ICE poneycars.

I have a P85D and eventually will have to get a P100D (as they obviously aren't making these anymore), I couldn't be happier with the car.
But I was intrigued by your comment about the P100D only being faster in mostly launch mode? My experience has been that even from a 40mph roll the P100D is faster than my P85D. Is this not your experience?

Also, before someone tells me to ged a P3D and keep the P85D for the same price as a P100D...no chance. 1/4 mile times matter amongst my friends and Ive learned you don't trade a 4 carat diamond, for four single carat diamonds . I've beaten both of my coworkers P3Ds from a stoplight and I'm just not willing to get a slower car until Im much older. I like to stay ahead of the latest ICE poneycars.
There isn't a single situation where the P100D won't murder the P85D in acceleration.

If the main reason for buying a car is to impress people with 1/4 mile times, then P100D is hard to beat right now. Personally I don't need any more 0-60mph than my P85DL, could use better 40-80 but not worth the $90K+ I'd likely have to spend on upgrading, plus I'd lose the other things I mentioned above, such as plus suspension which I like (my wife has a regular SAS, I can absolutely tell the difference) - but again not an issue if the car just needs to go fast 1/4 mile in a straight line. My next car will likely be a Taycan, if I like it when it comes out. I could go for a non-beta car with some physical instant controls over having to peck at ever more times (more clicks), ever smaller buttons on an ever slower screen. I'm willing to go for a reliable 3.4s 0-60mph over 2.8s my P85DL supposedly has when the moon and planets align just right. Of course, I will give Tesla a chance and compare that against whatever offering they have at the time (actually offering, software ready on order day or it doesn't exist to me - no buying into Elon's vaporware promises).

PS> For the power limitation, I read here on TMC that Tesla limited the highest power output for P100D only in launch mode (actually launch mode and Ludicrous+ together, the latter you have to enable each time you want to use it too). Some info in this thread, though I remember there being other threads discussing this in the past. I don't have a P100D so I can't personally verify, but apparently there were some very upset owners, though I don't see it as bad as selling P85D owners a 691hp car only admit later that on it's best day in ideal conditions the car will produce 463hp. Shouldn't be a problem for you as you should be using launch mode for 1/4 mile races anyways.

Last edited:
140 - 200 more hp without launch mode or max battery. Max Power vs State of Charge and Temp
P85DL produces ~509hp according to what Tesla disclosed after the 691hp fail. Are you saying P100D produces over 700hp without launch mode or max battery? What does L+ increase it to, 750hp? Where do your numbers come from?

PS> 140hp upgrade is still not worth $90K+ to me, more if I wanted to retrofit the "plus" suspension. As I said before, I absolutely agree that if the purpose of the car is to go fast 1/4 mile in a straight line, P100D is absolutely the best car available for that today. I don't drag race my car, hence different priorities.

• Informative
Reactions: GWord and PhilDavid

I thought that Tesla only restored full Ludicrous power on the P100D without launch mode in Arizona due to losing a court case there?

• Informative
Reactions: Galve2000
P85DL produces ~509hp according to what Tesla disclosed after the 691hp fail. Are you saying P100D produces over 700hp without launch mode or max battery? What does L+ increase it to, 750hp? Where do your numbers come from?

PS> 140hp upgrade is still not worth $90K+ to me, more if I wanted to retrofit the "plus" suspension. As I said before, I absolutely agree that if the purpose of the car is to go fast 1/4 mile in a straight line, P100D is absolutely the best car available for that today. I don't drag race my car, hence different priorities.

Tesla's 509 number is underrated so they didn't get in trouble again. A 90% charged max battery ready P85DL without a degraded battery makes 615 hp at the battery with about a 10% loss from the battery to the wheels so it's not unreasonable to compare that to an ICE cars power at the crank.

A P100D in Ludicrous Plus mode at 90% SOC makes 777 hp at the battery so that's a 162 hp difference. Problem is I believe most of that difference goes away unless you're in Ludicrous+ AND using launch mode.

Check out the link I provided. You will have to do the kW to hp conversion at your selected data points on the graph but basically yes, the P100D does approximately 740hp at the battery, without ludicrous plus or max battery.

(and for the record, I completely respect your personal priorities; I was just providing a counter claim that there was a just a little more power and that it was only at ludicrous plus)

Last edited:
Reactions: DCEV and whitex
I don't know if that extra half a second quicker acceleration 0-60 would be used much in my world, but I wouldn't mind the extra range; 400 km to 500km real world mileage, but how many tens of thousands of dollars would I spend just to save a couple of supercharger stops on long trips?

Reactions: strider and CraZ8