Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D Pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker first time poster.

Im a bit confused by the pricing of the P85D. I keep seeing comparisons between the price of the + and the D. However, when I priced out the D (in Canadian) I get something like $134....and the sticker on my P85 (not plus) came to 127 before tax. My car is loaded (tech, 21s, interior lighting, etc). So the only difference I'm finding is 7k. Yet I keep hearing the price of + and D compared, as well as people talking about a $14-15k price jump from the original P85. From what I see, yeah its $14k more, but it includes 21s (4k) and tech (4k) as well as awd

Am I missing something?

No, you are correct, because the P85D requires you have those options, just forcing an increased in price. But I think if they breakout the pricing to show all the other features that they are getting because of the $14k, it makes it less dramatic.

There's an extra $4,500 built into the price of the P85D because they have decided to force low profile tires on everyone. Contrary to what some may believe the performance benefits of these tires are at the very edges of the performance curve in most cases but the tires are significantly more fragile and prone to damage quite easily. I think a bunch of people are understandably upset that they are being forced to pay for tires they don't want because they are living in urban areas whose roads are a poor match for the dainty low profile tires.

And by the way that $14K does not "include" the tech package but require that you pay for it separately. I have no issue with that as I'd never want to buy a Model S without the Tech Package and air suspension. But we are very unhappy with being forced to pay for low profile tires.

There's an extra $4,500 built into the price of the P85D because they have decided to force low profile tires on everyone. Contrary to what some may believe the performance benefits of these tires are at the very edges of the performance curve in most cases but the tires are significantly more fragile and prone to damage quite easily. I think a bunch of people are understandably upset that they are being forced to pay for tires they don't want because they are living in urban areas whose roads are a poor match for the dainty low profile tires.

And by the way that $14K does not "include" the tech package but require that you pay for it separately. I have no issue with that as I'd never want to buy a Model S without the Tech Package and air suspension. But we are very unhappy with being forced to pay for low profile tires.

The price difference when I changed my P85+ order was around $7k ($4k when you take out the price increases that happened in the interim), so it looks like it encompasses the price of the old + upgrades. When it comes down to it, it seems like a pretty great deal for what you get (minus the forced 21's, that is).

The 21's look really nice, but I'm thinking of switching them out to 20's. Some very experienced Tesla owners (I think Zextraterestrial among them) who track their cars made that switch and found that even the high-end performance may have even been improved with them. Others have even gone down to 19's, without any problems. Lots of threads on this topic if you have time to peruse.

You're missing that the cost of the + is not there for the P85, so its price has theoretically "dropped" (since the plus isn't an available option) as they are comparing the P85 to the P85D rather than your comparison of the old P85+ to the P85D.

But we are very unhappy with being forced to pay for low profile tires.

Try having to pay for the supercharger cost on an island 40 miles from tip to tip that will never need nor get superchargers. It's all about perspective. Appreciate what you do get rather than focusing on the negative. There are rim protectors that come in handy no natter where you live. 19" rims and tires can be easily found for under $3k and I bet you can find S owners who will buy a new set of Tesla 21" rims and tires for $4k. Rural roads can be in just as bad of shape as urban roads, if not worse (how many dirt roads you got?). The more I read about Tesla and the tech going into their cars, the more thankful I am that I'm not paying close to or over $200k for a car like the P85D or that they aren't charging $10k for lifetime tech upgrades. Life is good.

People have had no problem selling their brand new, unused 21" wheel sets on the classifieds section here. While it's a minor inconvenience, there is a ready solution to this problem.

Just order the car with an extra set of 19's (for $2500, that's actually a good deal), ask your service center to swap the wheels before you take delivery, then sell the 21's. Should be a net $0 or even possibly slight profit for you, as a new set of 21's bought separately costs $8000.

The price increase is actually less than 14.600 US$. The P85+ suspension was 6.500, and you had to pay for leather seats 1,500-2,500$. Nappa leather and upgraded seats come now standard with the P85D. Price bump is ~5.5k.

The price increase is actually less than 14.600 US$. The P85+ suspension was 6.500, and you had to pay for leather seats 1,500-2,500$. Nappa leather and upgraded seats come now standard with the P85D. Price bump is ~5.5k.

Not bad, not bad at all. Also, they un-bundled the $1k spoiler, so for people like me who weren't going to take it, that's another savings.

As for the wheels, I know that some people with 21's also buy an extra to use as a spare.

P85D is bargain of the century. Just go ask Porsche Turbo S or AMG's, M's owners how much they had to pay for similar HP and performance improvements. BTW auto companies, and in fact any companies, never price their products according to production cost but only to market perception and acceptance. Trying to make this kind of analysis is really pointless.

Yes it's an amazing deal. Except for newer owners like myself who've just missed the boat. But for an extra $5-6k, it makes me wonder what's going to happen to the P85....don't know how many will opt for that, when you're interested in performance and the pinnacle of that is only a few grand more. Guess time will tell

Try having to pay for the supercharger cost on an island 40 miles from tip to tip that will never need nor get superchargers. It's all about perspective. Appreciate what you do get rather than focusing on the negative. There are rim protectors that come in handy no natter where you live. 19" rims and tires can be easily found for under $3k and I bet you can find S owners who will buy a new set of Tesla 21" rims and tires for $4k. Rural roads can be in just as bad of shape as urban roads, if not worse (how many dirt roads you got?). The more I read about Tesla and the tech going into their cars, the more thankful I am that I'm not paying close to or over $200k for a car like the P85D or that they aren't charging $10k for lifetime tech upgrades. Life is good.

Except we did not get to a point in our lives to afford a P85D by wasting money. The extra money they are requiring from us for the absurd 21" wheels that are completely unsuitable for NY roads is a waste. If Tesla wanted us to make a donation to their company it is one thing but they really should have allowed customers to configure tires suitable for where they live like was the case with the regular P85.

I understand that the performance you get for the price is a great deal with the P85D but that's not what's being discussed here. They are forcing unpractical tires on those who live in urban areas with poor roads and making them pay extra for them.

As for easily finding someone to buy 21" tires and then go through the hassle of buying the 19" tires that the car should have come with to begin with, tell that to the forum member in Virginia who recently shared with us how he has 4X 21" wheels that he has had absolutely no luck selling and he said he'd be lucky if he could sell them for half the price they are being sold for.

Why on earth would you have to buy a new car knowing you have to go through the hassle of selling the fragile tires it comes with and then have to buy 19" tires and find someone to buy the 21" tires that they made you buy? IMHO this is bad pricing and they have no thought through the pricing structure properly.

Why on earth would you have to buy a new car knowing you have to go through the hassle of selling the fragile tires it comes with and then have to buy 19" tires and find someone to buy the 21" tires that they made you buy? IMHO this is bad pricing and they have no thought through the pricing structure properly.

Sorry I don't recall the specific thread, but about a year ago Bill Hart (Lolachampcar), our resident suspension/engine/racing expert gave a great summary of some technical reasons the 21's might be necessary with the + (now included in the D) suspension upgrades over an extended period of time. Something about stiffer bushings, reduced play and sidewall flex. Well, it made a lot of sense at the time :)

Except we did not get to a point in our lives to afford a P85D by wasting money. The extra money they are requiring from us for the absurd 21" wheels that are completely unsuitable for NY roads is a waste. If Tesla wanted us to make a donation to their company it is one thing but they really should have allowed customers to configure tires suitable for where they live like was the case with the regular P85.

I understand that the performance you get for the price is a great deal with the P85D but that's not what's being discussed here. They are forcing unpractical tires on those who live in urban areas with poor roads and making them pay extra for them.

As for easily finding someone to buy 21" tires and then go through the hassle of buying the 19" tires that the car should have come with to begin with, tell that to the forum member in Virginia who recently shared with us how he has 4X 21" wheels that he has had absolutely no luck selling and he said he'd be lucky if he could sell them for half the price they are being sold for.

Are you even buying the P85D?

Sorry I don't recall the specific thread, but about a year ago Bill Hart (Lolachampcar), our resident suspension/engine/racing expert gave a great summary of some technical reasons the 21's might be necessary with the + (now included in the D) suspension upgrades over an extended period of time. Something about stiffer bushings, reduced play and sidewall flex. Well, it made a lot of sense at the time :)

I am sure there might be some technical benefits in some cases but any benefits associated with 21" low profile tires are lost on me if it means I am more likely to be stranded on the side of the road because of a moderate pothole. After our last experience with low profile tires we'll never get them in a car, especially one we plan to use as a daily driver. My number one priority of tires in my car is for them to not fail or fail as little as possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you even buying the P85D?

What an asinine thing to say. Who are you to question our intentions? For your information we have already submitted a callback request to TM and awaiting to hear from them. I have two outstanding issues to try and resolve before finalizing our order. One is if I can opt for the 19" regular profile tires and not be forced to pay for the fragile low profile tires that are not practical where we live. The other is to ensure we can have a tan interior with the newly improved seats that are supposed to come out in December. When we configured out P85D the interior color choice for the seats was missing and the interior was black with no way to change it. We have to have a tan or lighter colored interior. We hope to have both these issues resolved when we speak to Tesla and will report back what we hear.

Yes it's an amazing deal. Except for newer owners like myself who've just missed the boat. But for an extra $5-6k, it makes me wonder what's going to happen to the P85....don't know how many will opt for that, when you're interested in performance and the pinnacle of that is only a few grand more. Guess time will tell

The difference is much more than $5-6k but still my take is P85 will eventually be dropped unless the difference between it and the "D" is made bigger.

The difference is much more than $5-6k but still my take is P85 will eventually be dropped unless the difference between it and the "D" is made bigger.

I agree the difference is more. but you bring up a good point with the P85... IMHO the price difference between the two is such that if you are considering a P85, might as well pay just a bit more and get a P85D for performance that you'd have to pay $150K+ with any other manufacturer. The performance you get with the P85D is an absolutely tremendous value. Even if it means we have to buy another set of tires it is still a heck of a deal! Tesla has destroyed the Mercedes E63,S63,S65 and the BMW M5.

When these cars age and the price difference between the P85 and the P85D is so little, it may make it harder to sell a P85 when you could get a P85D with the performance and all weather capabilities of the P85D for just a bit more.

I can totally see them dropping the P85. It would be in line with how Mercedes sells their ultra performance vehicles only with AWD.

Hmmm. Just put my P up for sale. Maybe I should keep it, considering it potential value as a future classic!

its similar to the 911 turbo and Turbo S....the S is insane, and better in all ways than the "regular" Turbo with no compromise. It actually diminishes the 911 Turbo, turning it into the car people who can't afford an S purchase (I'm quoting a C&D article about this that I wholly agree with). But with the P and D, the price diff is so minimal it becomes an almost no brainer....especially consider people buy the P85 over the S85 for its performance only...if that's the main focus, then jumping into the D for a little bit more seems too good to pass up