Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D range and highway battery performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that Tesla should add an option to allow entering the # of passengers in the vehicle so it may then calculate the added weight of the vehicle on these longer road trips. Would be extremely useful.

Or even take this one step further and automatically use the seat sensors to factor this into the calculation. (I'm not sure if there are seat sensors in the rear, but that could be added.)

Here's some new data concerning efficiency under the new v6.1 (2.2.139) software release in the P85D: I made a 90.1 mile loop, driven in Range mode on 19" Hakka R2s, at an average of 307 Wh/mi. More than half of this was driven on the highway at 75 mph; the rest varied from 45 to 65 mph, with a little 30 mph city-style stop and go. Temperatures were in the mid to upper 50's with climate set at 64-65º F; winds were westerly at a consistent 12-15 knots. My lifetime numbers continue to improve, now sitting at 347 Wh/mi over 1800 miles.

It's not definitive, but at one spot along the familiar route, about 10 miles from home outbound, I showed 296 Wh/mi where before I'd never seen anything better than 330 Wh/mi (to be fair, it was almost straight downwind). I'm hypothesizing on the basis of very limited evidence that .139 has delivered an improvement in range/efficiency. More testing is required...

Here's the Trip chart for the last leg of the loop:

IMG_4883.jpg

Last edited:
Here's some new data concerning efficiency under the new v6.1 (2.2.139) software release in the P85D: I made a 90.1 mile loop, driven in Range mode on 19" Hakka R2s, at an average of 307 Wh/mi. More than half of this was driven on the highway at 75 mph; the rest varied from 45 to 65 mph, with a little 30 mph city-style stop and go. Temperatures were in the mid to upper 50's with climate set at 64-65º F; winds were westerly at a consistent 12-15 knots. My lifetime numbers continue to improve, now sitting at 347 Wh/mi over 1800 miles.

It's not definitive, but at one spot along the familiar route, about 10 miles from home outbound, I showed 296 Wh/mi where before I'd never seen anything better than 330 Wh/mi (to be fair, it was almost straight downwind). I'm hypothesizing on the basis of very limited evidence that .139 has delivered an improvement in range/efficiency. More testing is required...

We should re-test some of the routes we've entered in the P85D Uninterrupted Hwy Trip Data - Google Sheets for a true apples-to-apples comparison.

As soon as I get .139 installed (I'm still on .113 and don't have any update notifications yet) I'll re-test a couple of the routes on there.

I did some measuring on the way into work today. I set my cruise control at 80MPH but most traffic was moving around 75MPH. I am running 19" Michelin XICE XI3 tires right now.

I was shocked to see the following:

IMG_3752.JPG

IMG_3751.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I should add that I have some good downhill right at the start of my trip, but in my P85+ I don't recall getting below 280ish on the same route. I'll post an update when I get home this evening with the route trip.

I did some measuring on the way into work today. I set my cruise control at 80MPH but most traffic was moving around 75MPH. I am running 19" Michelin XICE XI3 tires right now.

I was shocked to see the following:

- - - Updated - - -

I should add that I have some good downhill right at the start of my trip, but in my P85+ I don't recall getting below 280ish on the same route. I'll post an update when I get home this evening with the route trip.

What Wh/mi do you usually get for the same route? Have the ambient temps been the same? Any other differences you can think of?

What Wh/mi do you usually get for the same route? Have the ambient temps been the same? Any other differences you can think of?

The best I've seen was 340ish for this half of the route, but that was in traffic averaging 55MPH. I'm usually closer to 380 with higher usage on the way home, as you can see from my average. It has been a bit warmer here the last couple weeks, 50-55º F.

The best I've seen was 340ish for this half of the route, but that was in traffic averaging 55MPH. I'm usually closer to 380 with higher usage on the way home, as you can see from my average. It has been a bit warmer here the last couple weeks, 50-55º F.

Those numbers are incredible! Did you forget to mention that you were also being towed at the time, or that there were some trucks behind you testing wind machines blowing in your direction? Seriously, all I can say is wow!

Or maybe Tesla figured they really couldn't get us the numbers we were hoping for with torque sleep, so they'd just completely mess with the reporting and show us what we want to see. I'm kidding, of course, but that doesn't seem all that much less plausible than this improvement, given the speed increase from 55 MPH to 75 MPH, and the incredible wh/mi decrease. Wow, again!

Thanks for the details. It's sounding like you're definitely seeing a substantial improvement (at least 10%). I can't wait to get .139 so I can test it against my extensive data!

Sport mode with range mode on.

I'm going to assume that torque sleep isn't going to require range mode to be on. This must be a temporary testing solution. We all put up with a lot of weird reliability and other nuances to drive the Model S, but if Torque Sleep isnt' available in standard driving modes, I would consider that a really big miss and I'd make a big stink to Tesla corporate.

OK, this is starting to make sense.

We wondered why the heck Tesla would only give us torque sleep in range mode.

Now people are reporting increased efficiency without range mode enabled.

So, picking up with the "This is what the conversation might have been like at Tesla headquarters over the weekend" theme:

JB Straubel, to some of the engineers: "So, is the Torque Sleep firmware ready to go?"
Engineer1: "Yup. It's all set. Release notes all written up. Everything. Ready to go. We're going to get it out on Monday--Ground Hog's Day--get it? It's funny.
Engineer 2: "You know, that seemed like such a good idea last week when we decided to hold the release, but now I'm wondering. Those guys on TMC are already complaining that we missed JB's date. Something about a January 31 deadline."
Engineer2: "Really? They were anxious to have this sooner?"
JB: "I've got an idea!"
Engineer1: "Yes, JB?"
JB: "Let's mess with them. Let's give them the Torque Sleep, but not tell them we're giving it to them. Let's make the release look like it's just a basic bug fix release. We won't change the release notes at all! We'll just bury an obscure reference to the torque sleep somewhere, and see how long it takes them to find it."
Engineer1:"Great idea, JB. But there are a lot of them, and most of them don't really have lives outside of the car. They'll probably find it pretty quickly."
Engineer2: "I know. Let's add a note to range mode, and make it sound like torque sleep only works with range mode on. That'll really get them going!"
JB: "Yes, let's do it! OK, since today is Superbowl Sunday, I'm setting the line at how long it takes one of them to figure out we actually gave them torque sleep in all modes at 5:00 PM Pacific time Tuesday. Who's taking the over and who's taking the under?"

Last edited: