Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D sighting / test drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright, this is long, but i didn't want to just do your average "review". If you can't handle it, just skip it and don't knock it. Thanks :)

So I took a test drive of the P85D on Monday. I have an order placed but had not confirmed, so my emotions were running high, this was the moment to bring clearness to my mind and make the decision as easy as coding "Hello World" in your average programming language.

I had so much anticipation for this moment, with all the rave reviews from other test drivers and early owners, the mentions of F1s, Bugatties, Lambos and Ferraris, I was expecting to have a sickening experience, unreal, like the Hulk rollercoaster ride at Universal Studios Orlando perhaps. "Hey, it's not my fault, others are raving so much, this thing must fly" I said to myself as I arrived at the Tesla showroom full of emotion and thoughts.

I tell the Tesla rep, "I'm really looking forward to this, I still can't decide if the P85D is it, I want to make sure I'm making the right decision." And he joyfully says, "Ohhhh myyyy god, you are, the thing is a beast." Well, that just kept piling on and making my expectations even higher.

Before this moment, I had already taken a test drive of the P85, and having no prior expectations, I was quite impressed with its performance, but now, it was time to unleash "The Beast" as many have called it.

To put this into perspective, I am just your average driver. I'm not a fast driver, never buy sport versions of cars, and ultimately see a car as point A to point B transportation. However, I always wanted a "toy" car, something fun to drive on weekends, and seeing how this could serve both as a daily driver and a weekend toy had me completely intrigued.

I get in, I asked if we were in "Insane" mode, receive an affirmative nod from the Tesla rep and we drive off. I ask the rep to turn off the music for me, he lowers it but not completely off, I ask him to kill it as I would like to hear how quiet the car is, he lowers it almost full but not completely. I approach the screen and completely turn it off. I don't own a Tesla and don't know how to use the on-wheel controls, but by reaching for the screen I achieve the goal. My first test was to hear the front motor sound. Yes, it does make a slightly annoying sound that the other S versions didn't make, "um, I can see how this could get annoying, but hey, I rarely drive without music or some sort of audio on, no biggie I guess".

We proceed to try and push the car to its limits, I punch it and go from 20 to 60, then onward to 80, the car certainly flies, you can barely notice you are accelerating so fast, and if not for the 80MPH limitation on test-drive cars, I could've easily hit 100 without knowing.

Then, the real test, we are at a stop light, this is the moment, what everyone is talking about, the experience of the beast, the launch to beat all launches, this was the moment I was certainly waiting for. The light turns green, I floor it, about three seconds go by, and sure enough we're already going 60 miles per hour and other vehicles behind me are just barely warming up.

But suddenly I feel disappointed, I still feel confused, "Should I really pay an extra 30k or go with the S85?" Still puzzled I ask myself. I proceed to drive through some twisty roads, handling feels great, I'm hitting seventy miles per hour on a twenty five and it feels like I'm going fifteen, the car just glides over, it flies, it's like it is running on rails. And here lies a big realization, while the car surely flies and drives quite smoothly, I sense like the feeling of speed just wasn't there, I kind of missed the big roar of a fast ICE, the feel of the road, the feeling of gears shifting one after the other. At a minimum I expected a rush like the one I get every time I ride the Incredible Hulk at Universal Studios, none of that was felt.

I really couldn't believe it, I went back, took an S60 for a test drive, then right back to driving the P85D again. At the end of it all, I still felt puzzled. I didn't even want to post a review here so I let it all settle in, a few days have gone by since Monday and today I have confirmed my P85D order. Not because it is fast, but because it is a technological marvel and I truly appreciate that. I enjoy the technology, I enjoy supporting what I would love to be the automotive future, and I do feel the car is extremely special. While I could also achieve all of that with an S85, I'd much rather grow to love "The Beast" for what she is as we get more acquainted, than move on without her and feel like I should've given her another chance but it is now too late. After all, I blame most of my disappointment to the incredibly high expectations I had after reading so much about this car and hearing others rave so much about it. I know that once my P85D arrives I'll be able to appreciate all of its marvel.

With all that said, initially I thought a Tesla could replace my inner desire for a toy car, however, I can certainly see myself owning a loud ICE someday as a fun weekend toy that transmits more energy as the speedo raves on.

Last edited:
FrenchBlue_zps5be8dca4.jpg

I spotted this P85D in the back portion of the Fremont showroom today. It appears to be custom paint, not a wrap. The color looks like French racing blue.

No one was able to tell me how it came into being or what I would have to do to get a custom paint color for my P85D. I'm VERY curious.

I almost went custom color. It's $12k and an extra week. Come to think of it, with the blackhole I could have had a custom color with no time penalty.

We proceed to try and push the car to its limits, I punch it and go from 20 to 60, then onward to 80, the car certainly flies, you can barely notice you are accelerating so fast, and if not for the 80MPH limitation on test-drive cars, I could've easily hit 100 without knowing.

I think it's the lack of drama that kind of sterilizes the experience. A lot of ICE cars are becoming the same way. You know the old saying, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. The handling becomes so competent and predictable that it just feels more like the driver is along for the ride.

I won't be owning a P85D any time soon, but I'm definitely curious to see how the full reviews go. Is it a one-trick pony (0-60 sprints)? Can it be driven hard for longer than a single-motor version?

3.2s is definitely a sports car performance stat-- supercar even-- but ultimately the Model S is still a cruiser. A damn fine cruiser. Aside from showing off to friends, is that level of performance going to be usable on the street? Is the car going to be track-worthy?

I added another banana for scale.

View attachment 66187

Besides being blocked off a little in front of the pizza box space, it looks like it is also blocked off where it narrows towards the front of the car. Why would that be? Or is it an artifact of the picture angles that you can see the narrowed front part in the 2-banana picture but you can't see it in the 1-banana picture?

Edit - my intention was that both pics would appear in this post and that's how it previewed this post to me, but then it didn't show them. I have no idea how to fix that.

I tend to agree about the lack of drama and "build up" of emotions pre-test drive. Coming from having several sports cars including modded Porsches and Rufs, I was expecting a bit more myself. I mean the car is fast but deceptively so. I kept finding myself wanting just a little bit more, trying to match the kind of "scary" feeling I get when punching my Ruf between 4500 and 7200 on a cool day. That being said I still put a deposit down anyway. Its a great car. I will tell you when I ended up in the passenger seat while my wife drove it scared the crap out of me. I was leaning forward a bit adjusting the stereo and she hit it pretty hard (not launch hard) right off the bat and that's when it really got my attention. That happened several more times during the drive while in the passenger seat. So be a passenger then judge:) I can tell you I don't think the rear kid's seats would be a good idea in this thing. I think they'd hurl for sure, especially with the heat and lack of venting back there:)

I tested both seats and the new ones were way better for sure. I thought they'd be too tight in the bolsters like a Cayenne Turbo adaptive or GTR seat but they weren't. They were really nice, Recaros with back cushioning, definitely custom built for the Model S. The car handles very well which surprised me too. Steering felt great, ride was very good with the air suspension. Highway passing ability was very good but don't expect the same kind of feeling you get from a Cayenne Turbo or "like kind" sedan. The torque curve really backs off over 50mph. But it is still plenty enough, not really a let down. The upgraded stereo was not good. I'm a professional recording engineer and I would not be able to reference my mixes in this car without upgrading. The system is very deficient in the low mids and pretty anemic in the lows too. Adjustment of the simple 3-band EQ rendered little help. Its just light in said frequencies. It will fine for anyone who doesn't need it to perform at reference level. I was using full blown WAV files (CD quality) right out of the studio off pin drive too. By the way it will not play 96/24 WAV files. This is a real disappointment and problem for me for sure. I was really looking forward to at least quasi Levinson, Burmeister, B&O, level performance.

Stupidly I didn't pay much attention to range since I don't drive far daily so not really an issue for me. I know we started out full and ended up around 180 miles left and we were out for quite a while (sorry for the lack of accuracy here:). Regen was on most of time and you could tell it was engaged. Our test drive had no hills to speak of though. We turned it off near the end and I liked it better.

Fit and finish of the upgraded interior was very nice. I really didn't see any quality issues at all. It was a very quality built car, no rattles, etc... I think most will be happy with the non upgraded interior and if you want the LEDs just get some and put them in. From the way the car felt I do really think the new suspension and 21's suit it well. It seemed very balanced which is likely why, when behind the wheel, some of the anticipated drama right off the bat is under estimated. In the end I found myself saying I'd rather have this car than any other sedan which is cool considering the youth of the company compared to the big dogs. However make no mistake, those guys will catch up. They have the money, the engineers, and now the cattle prod to get something going. it will be a very interesting next five years for sure...

Any questions just ask away!

- - - Updated - - -

A pretty good sized duffle bag is all that will fit up front now. It probably lost about 1/2 to 2/3rds of its original space.

I tend to agree about the lack of drama and "build up" of emotions pre-test drive. Coming from having several sports cars including modded Porsches and Rufs, I was expecting a bit more myself. I mean the car is fast but deceptively so. I kept finding myself wanting just a little bit more, trying to match the kind of "scary" feeling I get when punching my Ruf between 4500 and 7200 on a cool day. That being said I still put a deposit down anyway. Its a great car. I will tell you when I ended up in the passenger seat while my wife drove it scared the crap out of me. I was leaning forward a bit adjusting the stereo and she hit it pretty hard (not launch hard) right off the bat and that's when it really got my attention. That happened several more times during the drive while in the passenger seat. So be a passenger then judge:) I can tell you I don't think the rear kid's seats would be a good idea in this thing. I think they'd hurl for sure, especially with the heat and lack of venting back there:)

I tested both seats and the new ones were way better for sure. I thought they'd be too tight in the bolsters like a Cayenne Turbo adaptive or GTR seat but they weren't. They were really nice, Recaros with back cushioning, definitely custom built for the Model S. The car handles very well which surprised me too. Steering felt great, ride was very good with the air suspension. Highway passing ability was very good but don't expect the same kind of feeling you get from a Cayenne Turbo or "like kind" sedan. The torque curve really backs off over 50mph. But it is still plenty enough, not really a let down. The upgraded stereo was not good. I'm a professional recording engineer and I would not be able to reference my mixes in this car without upgrading. The system is very deficient in the low mids and pretty anemic in the lows too. Adjustment of the simple 3-band EQ rendered little help. Its just light in said frequencies. It will fine for anyone who doesn't need it to perform at reference level. I was using full blown WAV files (CD quality) right out of the studio off pin drive too. By the way it will not play 96/24 WAV files. This is a real disappointment and problem for me for sure. I was really looking forward to at least quasi Levinson, Burmeister, B&O, level performance.

Stupidly I didn't pay much attention to range since I don't drive far daily so not really an issue for me. I know we started out full and ended up around 180 miles left and we were out for quite a while (sorry for the lack of accuracy here:). Regen was on most of time and you could tell it was engaged. Our test drive had no hills to speak of though. We turned it off near the end and I liked it better.

Fit and finish of the upgraded interior was very nice. I really didn't see any quality issues at all. It was a very quality built car, no rattles, etc... I think most will be happy with the non upgraded interior and if you want the LEDs just get some and put them in. From the way the car felt I do really think the new suspension and 21's suit it well. It seemed very balanced which is likely why, when behind the wheel, some of the anticipated drama right off the bat is under estimated. In the end I found myself saying I'd rather have this car than any other sedan which is cool considering the youth of the company compared to the big dogs. However make no mistake, those guys will catch up. They have the money, the engineers, and now the cattle prod to get something going. it will be a very interesting next five years for sure...

Any questions just ask away!

- - - Updated - - -

A pretty good sized duffle bag is all that will fit up front now. It probably lost about 1/2 to 2/3rds of its original space.

Bummer. I got rid of my 3rd row, so gained a little extra space in the back.

With all that said, initially I thought a Tesla could replace my inner desire for a toy car, however, I can certainly see myself owning a loud ICE someday as a fun weekend toy that transmits more energy as the speedo raves on.

Get a Roadster! The tight suspension, rack & pinion steering, and driver's seat 5" off the ground give it a raw feeling of speed that beats the P85D in pure fun. Plus the motor sounds like a jet turbine as it revs up to 14,000 rpm - it'll put a grin on your face every time.

Besides being blocked off a little in front of the pizza box space, it looks like it is also blocked off where it narrows towards the front of the car.

Good eye, I hadn't noticed that. But after re-looking at the pictures, going out to look at my car, and looking up some better pictures (like THIS of an old car like mine and THIS of a P85D), I think the difference is that the frunk latch has been redesigned (I have no idea if it's unique to the D or not). My old car has two; one of them is out-of-frame. The new car seems to only have one, where my out-of-frame one is. So both have a lip at the front inside, but mine looks different because it has a latch receptacle in it.

EarlyAdopter, all the dirt in our frunk came from some plants my wife recently bought. We put everything that will fit in to the frunk; it hides the mess, there's less tumbling around while driving, and it makes it easier to unload when it's in the garage. A smaller frunk would indeed be sad, but not killer as this car has so much storage space.

Last edited:
Just back from my Tesla P85D test drive which was held in the Mt. Kisco, NY sales location.
First off, the staff could not have been nicer. Went there with my wife and another couple.
There were two P85D's for us to test and each couple went in their own car with a sales
person.

The P85D that I drove has just arrived the day before. Black exterior, Black Interior with
black Alcantara head liner. 43 miles on the car total. Never yet driven by anyone other
than the in-house detailer. The car was still charging and had 208 miles of range.

I was driving with my wife riding shotgun and Peter, the sales manager in the rear seat.
We went away from the sales office on highway and then back to the sales office on
some really nice twisty roads. Roads that clearly illustrated the suspension and required
you to actually use the breaks (not just the regeneration). 21" tires. Pretty much all
options except 3rd row seats. A loaded car.

Ok First impression... The Next Gen seats (Front and but not in Back) are just perfect for me and
my wife felt they were "embracing" as well. Fully adjustable up, down, tilt, you name it.
Heated seats. Nice tall headrests. Very comfortable. So much comfort in fact we just
wanted to keep on driving.

The Steering... very excellent response and feel and appropriate for a car of this size and type.
I did not have to adjust the steering stalk much at all. The steering wheel or seat (not sure which)
actually vibrates when you wander from your lane on the highway. Noticed the center speedo shows a small
iconic speed limit sign when the system notices them and then it goes away. I would
honestly say the feel is super.... no one would want more or less. It is not imprecise.

The Road Feel.... is again very european, tight without being overly tight, but not loose.
On the return trip on the twisty back roads with hairpin turns and ups and downs the
suspension (air) did a wonderful job and illustrated how well the engineers at Tesla had
done their work. BRAVO Amigos! Multo Bene! You could not ask for better. The car does not lean
or dip. The 21" tires and rims make for good rail-like tracking. No slop. Tight.

Road Noise... on smooth tar roads there is very little road noise, my db meter software
on the iphone at times was reading as low as 57 db which is very quiet. On the turnpike,
which was a concrete road, the exposed pebble did produce more tire noise and we were
at about 65 to 78 db...

Motor Noise... zero, zilch... NONE. Those of you who have heard about front motor
noise... well folks, not in the car I drove, and my buddy and his wife also said not in
their car either. No hint of any front motor noise what so ever. Period.

Sensation... you are embraced by this auto. It had carbon fibre interior and leather. We did not play
music at all. And conversation was held at a minimum as we were taking db readings.
The sensation is one of smoothness and power at the same time. There are no
squeaks or rattles... just quiet and some outside wind noise or that from other traffic or
pebbly concrete highways. Eerie really. Electric... Immediate... Powerful...
But those of you who already own Teslas... know of what I speak...

Acceleration.... we left in Sport mode and came back INSANE...

Sport mode is plenty powerful... you can get to 80 really damed fast.
I mean really fast. It just happens too quick. Really. Yet you can drive
this P85D slowly... tame.... no fear... a real Dr. Jeckle / Mr. Hyde split persona.
It is responsive (really responsive) and does not act at all like it is nearly 5000 pounds.
Amazing. Quick... 60 to 80 is also quick....

On the way back INSANE.... now bear in mind I have driven a 427 ERA Cobra replica since 1992
with a real 1966 427 big block that can go 0 to 70 in first gear with 3.31 rear end and
Toploader trannie. I KNOW G's and what fast feels like..... (translated ... this guy Art...he knows
what FAST is)

Yes my friends... this INSANE mode is about the real... honest to goodness DEAL
as far as performance is concerned. Tame around town... but a real BEAST just under
the ball of your foot. It is SCAREY FAST... WICKED FAST (a Boston Term).... So fast indeed that you
just cannot really appreciate it... before you know it and look down you are at 90 and above.
It is over that quick... Premature Acceleration (pun intended).

My buddy said the damned thing is going to give him nightmares. His wife and mine
were both saying over lunch how they were just THROWN back in the seats and felt
internal organs press where they should not.

AND IT IS EASY TO DO THIS.... you are not aware of any tire spin. NONE.
You are not aware of where the power is coming from. Just a faint lift of the nose
and PUFFF you are gone .... GONE..... zippppppp..... 90 and let up.....
that fast.

When we got back we had put on about 18 miles of distance and the rated range
was 186 while is was 208 upon leaving. We have a 2013 Prius so I know how to drive
a hybrid with efficiency (egg between toe and throttle pedal).

I love this car... get that feeling? ... Until I order one and it comes in,
well I am just going to be a TESLA convert. Enjoy the P85D, all who have ordered one You Fortunate Sons You!
I will reread and augment this write up as time allows....

No Photos... just SMILES.... Thanks for the Time... and TESLA, thanks for the
test drive... and Peter... thanks for being such a great host!

Sheesh that was a BLAST.... and guess what... I plugged the P85D into it's HPWC. My first recharge...

Last edited:
Just back from my Tesla P85D test drive which was held in the Mt. Kisco, NY sales location.
First off, the staff could not have been nicer. Went there with my wife and another couple.
There were two P85D's for us to test and each couple went in their own car with a sales
person.

The P85D that I drove has just arrived the day before. Black exterior, Black Interior with
black Alcantara head liner. 43 miles on the car total. Never yet driven by anyone other
than the in-house detailer. The car was still charging and had 208 miles of range.

I was driving with my wife riding shotgun and Peter, the sales manager in the rear seat.
We went away from the sales office on highway and then back to the sales office on
some really nice twisty roads. Roads that clearly illustrated the suspension and required
you to actually use the breaks (not just the regeneration). 21" tires. Pretty much all
options except 3rd row seats. A loaded car.

Ok First impression... The Next Gen seats (Front and but not in Back) are just perfect for me and
my wife felt they were "embracing" as well. Fully adjustable up, down, tilt, you name it.
Heated seats. Nice tall headrests. Very comfortable. So much comfort in fact we just
wanted to keep on driving.

The Steering... very excellent response and feel and appropriate for a car of this size and type.
I did not have to adjust the steering stalk much at all. The steering wheel or seat (not sure which)
actually vibrates when you wander from your lane on the highway. Noticed the center speedo shows a small
iconic speed limit sign when the system notices them and then it goes away. I would
honestly say the feel is super.... no one would want more or less. It is not imprecise.

The Road Feel.... is again very european, tight without being overly tight, but not loose.
On the return trip on the twisty back roads with hairpin turns and ups and downs the
suspension (air) did a wonderful job and illustrated how well the engineers at Tesla had
done their work. BRAVO Amigos! Multo Bene! You could not ask for better. The car does not lean
or dip. The 21" tires and rims make for good rail-like tracking. No slop. Tight.

Road Noise... on smooth tar roads there is very little road noise, my db meter software
on the iphone at times was reading as low as 57 db which is very quiet. On the turnpike,
which was a concrete road, the exposed pebble did produce more tire noise and we were
at about 65 to 78 db...

Motor Noise... zero, zilch... NONE. Those of you who have heard about front motor
noise... well folks, not in the car I drove, and my buddy and his wife also said not in
their car either. No hint of any front motor noise what so ever. Period.

Sensation... you are embraced by this auto. It had carbon fibre interior and leather. We did not play
music at all. And conversation was held at a minimum as we were taking db readings.
The sensation is one of smoothness and power at the same time. There are no
squeaks or rattles... just quiet and some outside wind noise or that from other traffic or
pebbly concrete highways. Eerie really. Electric... Immediate... Powerful...
But those of you who already own Teslas... know of what I speak...

Acceleration.... we left in Sport mode and came back INSANE...

Sport mode is plenty powerful... you can get to 80 really damed fast.
I mean really fast. It just happens too quick. Really. Yet you can drive
this P85D slowly... tame.... no fear... a real Dr. Jeckle / Mr. Hyde split persona.
It is responsive (really responsive) and does not act at all like it is nearly 5000 pounds.
Amazing. Quick... 60 to 80 is also quick....

On the way back INSANE.... now bear in mind I have driven a 427 ERA Cobra replica since 1992
with a real 1966 427 big block that can go 0 to 70 in first gear with 3.31 rear end and
Toploader trannie. I KNOW G's and what fast feels like..... (translated ... this guy Art...he knows
what FAST is)

Yes my friends... this INSANE mode is about the real... honest to goodness DEAL
as far as performance is concerned. Tame around town... but a real BEAST just under
the ball of your foot. It is SCAREY FAST... WICKED FAST (a Boston Term).... So fast indeed that you
just cannot really appreciate it... before you know it and look down you are at 90 and above.
It is over that quick... Premature Acceleration (pun intended).

My buddy said the damned thing is going to give him nightmares. His wife and mine
were both saying over lunch how they were just THROWN back in the seats and felt
internal organs press where they should not.

AND IT IS EASY TO DO THIS.... you are not aware of any tire spin. NONE.
You are not aware of where the power is coming from. Just a faint lift of the nose
and PUFFF you are gone .... GONE..... zippppppp..... 90 and let up.....
that fast.

When we got back we had put on about 18 miles of distance and the rated range
was 186 while is was 208 upon leaving. We have a 2013 Prius so I know how to drive
a hybrid with efficiency (egg between toe and throttle pedal).

I love this car... get that feeling? ... Until I order one and it comes in,
well I am just going to be a TESLA convert. Enjoy all who have ordered one.
I will reread and augment this write up as time allows....

No Photos... just SMILES.... Thanks for the Time... TESLA, thanks for the
test drive... Peter... thanks for being such a great host!

Sheesh that was a BLAST....
Great review! Thx!