Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D sighting / test drives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We need someone to have an accelerometer on when punching it. I'd love to know the G force when you launch.

Anyone use an iPhone apps for this yet? I'm thinking this is actually just simple math, though.

It is simple math, we just need to know the distance the cars travels during it's 3.2s 0-60 run. Then the acceleration calculation is easy (a = distance / t^2). Since 1g is 9.8m/s^2 we can compare the two and determine how many Gs the car produces.

It is simple math, we just need to know the distance the cars travels during it's 3.2s 0-60 run. Then the acceleration calculation is easy (a = distance / t^2). Since 1g is 9.8m/s^2 we can compare the two and determine how many Gs the car produces.

That would be an average acceleration. Somewhere around 30-40 mph, the car becomes power limited rather than traction limited and the acceleration starts to decline.

For average acceleration, an even easier calculation is that V = A*T. 60 mph = 26.82mps; 26.82mps/3.2s = 8.38mps[SUP]2[/SUP]; 8.38mps[SUP]2[/SUP]/9.81mps[SUP]2[/SUP] = 0.855g. Because the calculated value of 0.855g is an average number, and we know that the acceleration drops off due to power limits at the high end, the P85D should be close to 1g off the line, but it would be great to get a measured value.

Perceptually, "jerk" or the rate of change of acceleration can be much more startling than absolute g forces, and I think that is part of what is surprising many. If you go for a ride in an aerobatic airplane, many maneuvers are limited to 4g's because that is what most healthy humans can handle easily for short periods. However, 4g's in your butt with a gentle onset is much easier to take than 1g into the back of the seat with a less than 0.1 second onset. An aerobatic, inside loop at 4g's is gentle compared to the "jerk" of a Tesla off the line at 1g.

Last edited:
I kind of want to stand on the rear hatch wall horizontally during a launch to see if it is sufficient force to keep me there... lol. (Seats folded down, front passenger seat as far up as possible)

Wow... just received a call from Tesla and I will be going to the Mt. Kisco, NY showroom
to test drive a P85D on Thursday 12/18/14. Very very excited over this. Get to see my
buddy Peter up there who is a salesman in that office.

Congrats Art! That's the same day I'm scheduled to pick up the P85D in Milford. Waiting on a call this week canceling because the tracking shows its still in production. I'll let you know when the actually delivery day comes around in case you still want to swing by in your Shelby!

man, i hope SOMEONE here gets this...
635428257724362080.png

Oh! It’s Model S P85D. It is the fastest Electric Vehicle! P85D is faster than Porsche, common Ferrari and Lamborghini! So, I wold like to ask someone who got a test drive with Model S P85D. How do you feel when you drive this electric monster. I am living in Japan, I can’t drive this yet, fortunately I am local area in Japan. Almost super car have loudly engine sound, If you do full power. However this electric monster has not engine and no sound. I couldn’t imagine when I do full throttle with P85D. Could you tell me about your impression.

Normally, you should see an EDIT POST button next to REPLY on your own posts.

However, this may not become available until you make 10 posts or so. The forum is actually quite restrictive in the beginning.

That being said, it's still an awesome place to be. Welcome to TMC, Mike!

thaks for the welcome Mayhemm. Here's hoping to derestrict the posting constraints soon. To keep it reasonably on topic, has anyone tried a test drive, or has a p85d and can speak to torque/perf and handling > 85mph?

has anyone tried a test drive, or has a p85d and can speak to torque/perf and handling > 85mph?

I didn't take it up that high, but the torque taps out over 60mph. It still has decent acceleration at highway speeds, but it doesn't pin you to the back of your seat like at launch, or like a high performance ICE car can. Handling at speed is smooth, responsive and well planted.

I didn't take it up that high, but the torque taps out over 60mph. It still has decent acceleration at highway speeds, but it doesn't pin you to the back of your seat like at launch, or like a high performance ICE car can. Handling at speed is smooth, responsive and well planted.

On the p85+ I tried my impression was that it is exactly at highway speeds that the car outshines ICEs. It was much faster than my bmw 650 despite the 2 having very similar 0-60 (BMW was listed at ~4.3 sec, but car magazines had it going faster). For an ICE to jump 70-90 mph you will need to downshift first from the top gear to 4th or 5th gear. For the p85+ you just press the pedal...

Oh! It’s Model S P85D. It is the fastest Electric Vehicle! P85D is faster than Porsche, common Ferrari and Lamborghini! So, I wold like to ask someone who got a test drive with Model S P85D. How do you feel when you drive this electric monster. I am living in Japan, I can’t drive this yet, fortunately I am local area in Japan. Almost super car have loudly engine sound, If you do full power. However this electric monster has not engine and no sound. I couldn’t imagine when I do full throttle with P85D. Could you tell me about your impression.

I don't mean to offend you, but I'd suggest you start at the beginning of this thread and skim forward for the reviews. The information you are looking for is here, in this thread. Several of us have written fairly comprehensive reviews of our test drives and our impressions of the P85D. By asking the question you just asked, you're kind of asking us to reinvent the wheel. If you read the reviews that have already been posted, and then have specific follow-up questions, I'm sure people will be happy to try to answer them. I know I will.

Congrats Art! That's the same day I'm scheduled to pick up the P85D in Milford. Waiting on a call this week canceling because the tracking shows its still in production. I'll let you know when the actually delivery day comes around in case you still want to swing by in your Shelby!

Island, I would really like to see your car as I am in a toss up between The Pearl, Grey and MC Red colors... I have not seen a Pearl White in
person although both of my current daily drivers are pearl white... Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design and Pirus IV. Let me know when you are scheduled
to pick up in Milford and I can take photos of you and your car....

BTW, Mt. Kisco has two P85D's a white one and a blue one, I am told. The blue has the next gen seats so that is the one I reserved to test drive.

If anyone has any requests for photos or data or things they want me to "see", let me know, as we have a few days yet.

My plans are to drive away in Sport mode and get the feel of the car, no music, and then on the return, put er in INSANE and see WHAT IS UP.

Last edited:
Sorry, lousy camera phone pic in a dark parking garage, but at least it has a banana for scale. The frunk is indeed a lot smaller.

IMG_20141216_130535.jpg

The P85D is, of course, an extremely nice car to drive. It was notably faster and more stable than our early-VIN S85.

That said, as a Roadster owner I was a little disappointed. My expectations were no doubt too high, but I was hoping the change from 3.9 in the Roadster to 3.2 in the P85D would be very notable. It didn't seem like a really significant difference - the Model S is smoother, quieter and you're not as low to the ground, so there's probably a lot of perception involved. Plus the more-than-a-ton weight difference between the two is still obviously notable, even though the P85D seemed very sorted. And the Roadster's steering feel is better (the P85D steering is very good, but the steering feel is still a little numb). I prefer the Roadster's steering and handling, although this was at legal speeds - on a track the Roadster's understeer might change my mind.

To me, trading a Roadster for a P85D is definitely not a must-do for fun-to-drive reasons, but the P85D really is a great car so I wouldn't be at all sad to make the trade if I had to for practical reasons. It is faster, smoother, quieter, far roomier, far better ride, has more range, AWD, Supercharging, Autopilot, etc. And yet the base P85D still comes in a tiny bit cheaper than the base Roadster was.

Last edited: