Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D sold for $87k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can I just observe that if true that Tesla is selling loaners and inventory to used car dealers they are harming Tesla customers ( no fed tax credit to the buyer, lesser inventory selection, fewer loaners) in exchange for a slimy method to boost short term sales goals. Tesla should forget short term manipulation of sales by selling perfectly good cars to resellers and just make the best long term decisions and executions. Sell cars to real customers. Or maybe this car was just a rare exception because it was oddly > a year old even though < 2k miles.

Can I just observe that if true that Tesla is selling loaners and inventory to used car dealers they are harming Tesla customers ( no fed tax credit to the buyer, lesser inventory selection, fewer loaners) in exchange for a slimy method to boost short term sales goals. Tesla should forget short term manipulation of sales by selling perfectly good cars to resellers and just make the best long term decisions and executions. Sell cars to real customers. Or maybe this car was just a rare exception because it was oddly > a year old even though < 2k miles.

This. I didn't want to say this out loud, but coincidence on the latest sales #? As an owner/investor that's long on TSLA, I certainly hope not.

...And all you SA or FUDsters better not quote me outside here of TMC!

Hey Guys, just thought I would give some details about the car in question.

I was the lucky buyer of P67574 on eBay. At first, I was skeptical because of the low asking price. I contacted the sales agent, who provided details about the history of the vehicle. I believe it was a loaner car for Tesla Service Seattle originally. After reviewing the carfax, I was able to confirm it was a clean one owner with no accident history.
Congrats on the car! It looks really nice although it's listed as blue but appears black in the pictures. Is it really blue?

I often wondered why cars that are over a year old have such low miles. I speculated that they were 2nd or even 3rd and 4th cars for some people so were sitting in a garage not being driven but the loaner route also makes sense. That being said, there are a LOT of Inventory (ie loaners) that Tesla is selling with tens of thousands of miles on it so I'm surprised this one was not driven much.

Last edited:

I doubt it is as dubious or large scale as one may think. This P85D did not have the premium package, so is a bit of a unicorn for this price segment (btw, congrats to the buyer, drive in health!). Maybe Tesla sold the Texas dealer some cars that they did not want to list low in their own CPO system (because of odd configurations, miles, age, etc) and dilute that market which is somewhat different from the "used car dealer" market (at least in image).

As far as values, I've been considering a downsize to a 70D based on my daily needs, and Tesla valued my April 2015 build P85D at about $100k. Not sure if I should be happy or sad.

The sales rep from the dealer in Texas told me they buy cars directly from Tesla. I believe this was a lot they purchased at the end of the year to help Tesla get the sales figures up, but I also wonder if Tesla sells lots of these cars to this dealer in Texas because of Tesla's inability to sell direct to consumer there?

Interesting. Sounds like Tesla is moving to a kind of sell-by-dealer model for their CPOs. Or was this just a one off to meet their numbers?

Congrats on scoring a great deal! I was working with a sales agent to get more details and the window sticker for the car. I offered asking price and free ship to my state, but was too late and you beat me to it by the time they responded.

Congrats! Great deal and the car is beautiful!

I'm wondering...if the car was inventory then went to a car dealer, wouldn't it still qualify for federal EV incentives? I thought that the incentives were available to an original owner/first registration. Seems to me that this is like buying a demo Leaf from the local privately-owned Nissan dealer who purchased from the manufacturer.

Hey Guys, just thought I would give some details about the car in question.

I was the lucky buyer of P67574 on eBay. At first, I was skeptical because of the low asking price. I contacted the sales agent, who provided details about the history of the vehicle. I believe it was a loaner car for Tesla Service Seattle originally. After reviewing the carfax, I was able to confirm it was a clean one owner with no accident history.

The dealer that sold it to me (Texas Direct Auto) seems to be very reputable. I was told that they are the largest used car dealer in the country (selling 2,000+ cars per month). They also had 100% positive feedback with over 11,000 transactions.

It arrived safely on Monday morning here in central California. I went over the car with a fine tooth comb and was unable to find anything wrong with it. Up until this point, I still had a feeling there was a catch to the whole deal.

Luckily, after driving it for the past few days I can say with confidence that the car is FLAWLESS. Rides and drives great. A big improvement from my mid 2013 S85.

All said and done I was able to score the P85D for just over $87k (This was the 'buy it now' price, not a bidding auction). Texas Auto also shipped the car to me in California for free.

Considering the mileage (1,246) and the options (every option except premium interior), I felt like it was a no brainer. I had wanted to upgrade to a dual motor config with autopilot for some time now, and I would be kicking myself if I had passed on this deal.

The sales rep from the dealer in Texas told me they buy cars directly from Tesla. I believe this was a lot they purchased at the end of the year to help Tesla get the sales figures up, but I also wonder if Tesla sells lots of these cars to this dealer in Texas because of Tesla's inability to sell direct to consumer there?

Either way, I am very happy with the purchase!

Ill give you $92 for it.

Congrats! Great deal and the car is beautiful!

I'm wondering...if the car was inventory then went to a car dealer, wouldn't it still qualify for federal EV incentives? I thought that the incentives were available to an original owner/first registration. Seems to me that this is like buying a demo Leaf from the local privately-owned Nissan dealer who purchased from the manufacturer.
It all depends on when it is first titled. The federal credit is only available to the first titler. If the buyer gets an MSO with his/her paperwork, the federal credit is available. If they get a title (in a prior owner's name), it's not available.

Personally, if there was any question, I would refuse to allow the seller to register. Just give me the paperwork and I'll go to the DMV myself.

- - - Updated - - -

Why do P85D owners sell after one year to lose out on this much money? I understand why the RWD P85 sold for the autopilot. But if you're ready have the latest and greatest with autopilot, why sell it? Unless you're trading for the model X.
They do it because they can, and they are bored with the car, want something different, don't like the color, etc.

I once asked a Porsche salesman why someone had traded in a perfectly good, 6 month old, 911 turbo S. His response was "I have customers who change cars the way you and I change shoes."

Never did . it was always an expensive option to get heavier and more fragile wheels with no performance improvement but a boy racer rubber band tire look.

Is "boy racer" sexist? In any event, when the P85D was first announced, it was indeed only available with 21" tires. Long before any of us took delivery, Tesla relented and allowed you to order with 19" tires if you wished.

This supports a Model S over-production thesis, as did bursting 500 available Model S's on CPO/Inventory calculator. Many P85D showed up. The Model X reached only ~209, for Q4. It is sad to see unit targets impact values, especially if it looks like mini-fleet deals are happening. This TX guy had cost beneath 87k, and I'd agree the slow Q4 "X" ramp didn't hurt his business prospects in the end. However, the quarter is over. I don't know how far the scales can tip to X-production, in ratio to S, but this looks like a one-time thing. Congrats, on the deal!

This supports a Model S over-production thesis, as did bursting 500 available Model S's on CPO/Inventory calculator. Many P85D showed up. The Model X reached only ~209, for Q4. It is sad to see unit targets impact values, especially if it looks like mini-fleet deals are happening. This TX guy had cost beneath 87k, and I'd agree the slow Q4 "X" ramp didn't hurt his business prospects in the end. However, the quarter is over. I don't know how far the scales can tip to X-production, in ratio to S, but this looks like a one-time thing. Congrats, on the deal!

It's not a one time thing, they sold another on Sunday for the same price.

Congrats on the car! It looks really nice although it's listed as blue but appears black in the pictures. Is it really blue?

I often wondered why cars that are over a year old have such low miles. I speculated that they were 2nd or even 3rd and 4th cars for some people so were sitting in a garage not being driven but the loaner route also makes sense. That being said, there are a LOT of Inventory (ie loaners) that Tesla is selling with tens of thousands of miles on it so I'm surprised this one was not driven much.

It's definitely Blue! Although I plan on wrapping it a different color...

- - - Updated - - -

Ill give you $92 for it.

I think I will hold onto it, but thanks for the offer. I just paid the deposit for the ludicrous upgrade...