TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

P85D sold for $87k

Discussion in 'Model S' started by lovingit, Jan 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Cowby

Cowby Member

Congrats! I sure wish I could have scored one like this.:love:

2. bhzmark

bhzmark Supporting Member

Can I just observe that if true that Tesla is selling loaners and inventory to used car dealers they are harming Tesla customers ( no fed tax credit to the buyer, lesser inventory selection, fewer loaners) in exchange for a slimy method to boost short term sales goals. Tesla should forget short term manipulation of sales by selling perfectly good cars to resellers and just make the best long term decisions and executions. Sell cars to real customers. Or maybe this car was just a rare exception because it was oddly > a year old even though < 2k miles.

3. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

I will believe only after I see a Seeking alpha article on this by one of the FUDsters.

4. Cowby

Cowby Member

This. I didn't want to say this out loud, but coincidence on the latest sales #? As an owner/investor that's long on TSLA, I certainly hope not.

...And all you SA or FUDsters better not quote me outside here of TMC!

5. 2krazykats

2krazykats Member

#25 2krazykats, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    Congrats on the car! It looks really nice although it's listed as blue but appears black in the pictures. Is it really blue?

I often wondered why cars that are over a year old have such low miles. I speculated that they were 2nd or even 3rd and 4th cars for some people so were sitting in a garage not being driven but the loaner route also makes sense. That being said, there are a LOT of Inventory (ie loaners) that Tesla is selling with tens of thousands of miles on it so I'm surprised this one was not driven much.

6. tstafford

tstafford Supporting Member

Congrats to the buyer.

7. peteyswift

peteyswift Member

I doubt it is as dubious or large scale as one may think. This P85D did not have the premium package, so is a bit of a unicorn for this price segment (btw, congrats to the buyer, drive in health!). Maybe Tesla sold the Texas dealer some cars that they did not want to list low in their own CPO system (because of odd configurations, miles, age, etc) and dilute that market which is somewhat different from the "used car dealer" market (at least in image).

As far as values, I've been considering a downsize to a 70D based on my daily needs, and Tesla valued my April 2015 build P85D at about $100k. Not sure if I should be happy or sad.

8. schonelucht

schonelucht Active Member

Interesting. Sounds like Tesla is moving to a kind of sell-by-dealer model for their CPOs. Or was this just a one off to meet their numbers?

9. nekken04

nekken04 Member

Congrats on scoring a great deal! I was working with a sales agent to get more details and the window sticker for the car. I offered asking price and free ship to my state, but was too late and you beat me to it by the time they responded.

10. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Member

Congrats! Great deal and the car is beautiful!

I'm wondering...if the car was inventory then went to a car dealer, wouldn't it still qualify for federal EV incentives? I thought that the incentives were available to an original owner/first registration. Seems to me that this is like buying a demo Leaf from the local privately-owned Nissan dealer who purchased from the manufacturer.

11. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

Ill give you $92 for it.

12. sorka

sorka Well-Known Member

In 2014, the Premium package only included Napa leather and accent lighting.

13. peteyswift

peteyswift Member

I stand corrected [emoji106].

14. tga

tga Supporting Member

It all depends on when it is first titled. The federal credit is only available to the first titler. If the buyer gets an MSO with his/her paperwork, the federal credit is available. If they get a title (in a prior owner's name), it's not available.

Personally, if there was any question, I would refuse to allow the seller to register. Just give me the paperwork and I'll go to the DMV myself.

- - - Updated - - -

They do it because they can, and they are bored with the car, want something different, don't like the color, etc.

I once asked a Porsche salesman why someone had traded in a perfectly good, 6 month old, 911 turbo S. His response was "I have customers who change cars the way you and I change shoes."

15. MitchJi

MitchJi Trying to learn kindness, patience & forgiveness

Use Esnipe with or without bidgroups.

16. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

Is "boy racer" sexist? In any event, when the P85D was first announced, it was indeed only available with 21" tires. Long before any of us took delivery, Tesla relented and allowed you to order with 19" tires if you wished.

17. 3mp_kwh

3mp_kwh Active Member

This supports a Model S over-production thesis, as did bursting 500 available Model S's on CPO/Inventory calculator. Many P85D showed up. The Model X reached only ~209, for Q4. It is sad to see unit targets impact values, especially if it looks like mini-fleet deals are happening. This TX guy had cost beneath 87k, and I'd agree the slow Q4 "X" ramp didn't hurt his business prospects in the end. However, the quarter is over. I don't know how far the scales can tip to X-production, in ratio to S, but this looks like a one-time thing. Congrats, on the deal!

18. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

It's not a one time thing, they sold another on Sunday for the same price.

19. sickfox

sickfox Member

Congrats. IMO, it was a steal! awesome job.

20. pgrow

pgrow Member

It's definitely Blue! Although I plan on wrapping it a different color...

- - - Updated - - -

I think I will hold onto it, but thanks for the offer. I just paid the deposit for the ludicrous upgrade...