Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D vs. P85 Efficiency Testing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, finally done editing and syncing on video for the first leg. I may skip the second leg... I think the first one plus the numeric data is plenty of data, honestly.

Rendering a 5x speed time lapse of leg 1 now (~12 minute video). Probably take a couple of hours.

Edit: Here is a snapshot from somewhere in the first couple of minutes:
vlcsnap-2015-01-04-16h24m51s115.png

I think it came out pretty good considering the view of the dash from the GoPro cameras is actually like this:
vlcsnap-2015-01-04-16h27m36s175.png

No, I haven't had time to fully install my dash cam yet :(

Last edited:
So, where will the wh/mi come out on the D once the ~10% improvement is factored in for the "normal" mode?

Looks like the P85 was around 319 wh/mi for the trip...

If it is a 10% improvement it would land it at 322 Wh/mi. The P85 ended leg two of the trip at 310 Wh/mi and the P85D at 358 Wh/mi.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. :)

I'm back from my Ft. Lauderdale to Northern VA road trip in my P85D. 1,074.6 miles, 407.3 kWh, 379 avg wH/mile. 19" primacy tires, 2 adults, 2 kids, trunk packed with luggage including the foot well. Mixed driving; cruise set anywhere between 65-90, with peaks above and below depending on traffic. Range was never an issue while using the superchargers along I-95. I'll still be happier when the new software is available that supports idling the rear engine, but my range concerns were unwarranted. The only difference was a bit more time spent charging and I was unable to skip any of the SCs.

Is there a significant difference in wind resistance comparing a painted car and a wrapped car? I assume the yellow car is wrapped.

I didn't notice any difference since her car was wrapped. If anything I'd think it'd be a detriment, but not a significant one.

Is that the blackvue 650? I just installed mine (in the front) yesterday. If you pull the door sill trim on the passenger side, you'll find many good sources of constant 12v.

Yes it is. I have the 550 in the P85 (and left one in my traded P85) all nicely installed. I ended up running straight to the fuse box though. I may look around for some constant 12V inside the car to tap this time instead.

There is still that unused connector inside the microphone panel directly above the rear view mirror. It is very convenient and is constant 12v It is there for my P85D at least

I'll have to check that out... I was under the impression there was no longer a constant 12V there on newer VINs.

If it is a 10% improvement it would land it at 322 Wh/mi. The P85 ended leg two of the trip at 310 Wh/mi and the P85D at 358 Wh/mi.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. :)

Wow, what a great job! Obviously a huge amount of work on your part. Given than, do you have any inclination to rerun at least a part of the comparison when the new P85D firmware is delivered later this month (we hope)?

Wow, what a great job! Obviously a huge amount of work on your part. Given than, do you have any inclination to rerun at least a part of the comparison when the new P85D firmware is delivered later this month (we hope)?

I do want to do the same run whenever the new firmware is out for sure. Since the place we went to is a pretty tasty Japanese restaurant it shouldn't be hard to convince my fiance to do a second run later. ;)