Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D - What battery versions should I avoid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Battery.JPG

This is my Teslafi Battery tracker. I'm bouncing between 288 and 291 (but seeing 291 when I charge to 100%). And for comparison, my wife's 100D has had far more degradation then my 90D in less time...

Never mind. It's worse. I haven't charged to 100% in a while so I decided to last night to see what I would get. Now I'm down 30 miles per charge. Ugh. If there was ever a class action lawsuit for these, I think I would join. I have had the service center look at this several times and I keep getting told it's normal. At one point they told me that I had less miles because I was charging my phone while I was driving. It seems like when I bring it up they would always start out with yes, something is wrong and then after looking at everything and not being able to find everything they would say no it's totally normal. But I've been told everything from charging my phone to being too close to it with a key all day long. But even after all of the several examples they give me, they always end with its normal and don't worry about it. Just drive it.
20181017_062247.jpg

Last edited:
Keep in mind also the projected miles is just an estimatation. I charge my May ‘17 MX90D to 70% each day. The estimated miles varies between 177 and 181. New it was 183, but if I drive it down to 10-12% and charge it back to 100, my range is 261 instead of the original 263. If rarely do 100% charge the software estimation gets out of whack a little but there does not seem to be any real issue with actual range loss in my case. I recognize other folks may be seeing different things than I am on mine, but wanted to point out sometimes people take the range number as gospel and it may not be reflecting how many actual miles you’ll get when you drive.

If there was ever a class action lawsuit for these,

what's up with you Americans and going for "class action" ? - most of those ridiculous lawsuits gives the lawyers all the money, then some petty crumbs to the suckers that joined it.

Now back to reality & physics. your/mine "estimated range" is not worth all the emotion.
There is *no way* for a BMS to know the actual SOC (state of charge) unless it experiences "near empty" and "about full" states now and then, exactly how much it may correct it's estimated energy amount depends on software.
many BMS's are limited to correct only xx per cycle, or only full...empty cycle is within some time or within some temperature range.

None of us can expect that BMS know the SOC to even the last 0.5kWh precision at all times.
The closest useful data you can get, may be using "Scan My Tesla" , read out usable kWh , and drive longer/harder, and observe if any cell packs tend to get significantly hotter than the rest, or drop much more than the rest during launch or such.
If nothing unusual - then there is no defect.

Can you tell from VIN's the version of the battery? There are a lot of P90D's at very reasonable prices these days..
Not as an individual. Tesla should be able to look it up, but I doubt they would do that if you called and asked.

The easiest thing is to have someone turn the steering wheel all the way left, then look behind the front right wheel, down low, behind the inner wheel well, for the battery sticker. Get the part number and check on here if it's a V1, V2, or V3.

My 90D has lost almost 7% of range (298@100% new down to 278@100%) after 43k miles and 16 months. It's literally in the SC right now with that complaint (excessive battery loss). They called and told me it was normal. That's my only disappointing factor with the Tesla... is that this pack has degraded much faster and deeper than most other reports.

View attachment 343563
Here are my numbers:
New 286
After 40K miles: 268

Note I have the old fascia car which had a higher Wh/mil calculation in the range so that is why it was 286 vs the 294 on your car.

If I use your numbers and adjust it to mine, it comes out to be around 270 miles which is actually a bit better than my car with a slightly higher mileage.

All in all, I think that is a fine degradation rate because the original 298 you got was just a slight gift in terms of battery and really not really the correct specs. And honestly 7% is quite low of a degradation for that mileage.

That being said, if you do successfully get the SC to replace battery, I would love to hear it because I am sure everyone is looking to get a better battery if they can.

What is the usable battery capacity of a P90D and is the usable battery capacity different between V1, V2, and V3?

I believe the usable capacity of the 85 pack is around 78.

I can tell you this. I'm on my second 85 and have found battery degradation to be minimal in my first car and even less in my 85d. I still get 269 at 100% charge after 34k miles. I'm all about range so the P was never even a thought.

Got the car back from the SC and they basically said nothing wrong with it... so we will see how the next 12 months of degradation goes.... I'm not at the point yet where I'd fight them on it, because they (and many others) say that it levels off and stabilizes after a year or so, so if that's truly the case, I'm OK with it. I just don't want to see it keep dropping.

I can tell you this. I'm on my second 85 and have found battery degradation to be minimal in my first car and even less in my 85d. I still get 269 at 100% charge after 34k miles. I'm all about range so the P was never even a thought.
I'm sorry, I'm not finding the relevance to this thread. This thread is not about the 85; it's about the known issues plaguing the 90 (especially the V1 & V2). I'm truly honestly glad that your 85's have been great, seriously, however our 90's have not. The 90 was a bad experiment, trying to increase past the 85; which lead to the success of the 100.

I have done the drain to below 5% and charge to 100% a few times, in a row even, and it hasn't done anything. The service center said they could reset it by wiping the computer clean and it would come back to the 294 miles at 100%. They reset it and...... nothing. It's like they said it's broken, and that they can fix it by doing a, b and c. Then when that doesnt work, they say it's normal.

Ande, I'm not wanting to join a class action to get money back. I would join cause if we were to get together, maybe they would be forced to address this issue and really fix it or recall / replace the batteries.

I've always had maximum range of 512 km when doing a full charge on my 100D. Then I once drove the car till it almost stopped giving several warnings and showing 0 range for a few km plus limiting the max power around 100kW. Since then a full charge never gives more than 483 km. So I basically "lost" aroud 18miles just doing one deep discharge. I wonder if the original 512 km range was ever accurate...

Status
Not open for further replies.