Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pacific Northwest Owners (Seattle, Portland, or towns/cities in the region)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We’ve had no plates on the front of our cars since we moved here (Seattle proper) in 2014. We routinely drive all over the metro and state, and have never once been questioned (except for once by US Customs at the Canadian border, but they have no authority over plates enforcement as far as I know and didn’t take it any further than just a basic question).

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
Wife and I put in an order for a Model Y on Friday - Blue, 19" wheels, black on black and tow package! Gonna trade in the SR+ Model 3 and sell our Subaru Outback closer to delivery time (currently April).

It's gonna be an even longer wait than when we ordered the Model 3 (think that took two months?), but at least we have a Tesla already!

Last edited:
I haven't seen anything that cut out the rebates for non-union EVs, so I'm assuming it's still at $7.5k for Teslas, etc.

Wait for the whole fact sheet to get released (and the text of the bill, whenever that's written) before jumping to a conclusion. The outline we're getting here is light on detail and uses "up to" language.

I haven't seen anything that cut out the rebates for non-union EVs, so I'm assuming it's still at $7.5k for Teslas, etc.

Wait for the whole fact sheet to get released (and the text of the bill, whenever that's written) before jumping to a conclusion. The outline we're getting here is light on detail and uses "up to" language.
@VandalSibs Yes, it will be interesting to see the final bill, once signed into law. The union language has been in all recent drafts, so I think that will hold. Not sure about the $7500, as details are lacking, as you say. Time will tell.

@VandalSibs Yes, it will be interesting to see the final bill, once signed into law. The union language has been in all recent drafts, so I think that will hold. Not sure about the $7500, as details are lacking, as you say. Time will tell.
The fact that's its still saying $12.5k on union-built cars (which I have no problem with), to me implies that the non-union levels are still in there. It would be super dumb to completely lock out the biggest seller of EVs (along with other automakers that are non-union, which do exist in the US....)

The version I've seen (https://docs.house.gov/meetings/RU/RU00/20211028/114202/BILLS-117117-17ih.pdf) shows a base $4,000 credit, with an additional $3,500 for cars with at least a 40 kwh battery and no more than 2.5 gallon gas tank, another $4,500 for "domestic assembly" using union labor, and $500 for vehicles with US-made batteries. So for many Teslas that would be $8,000 ($4k base, $3.5k for the big battery and no gas, and $0.5k for a US-made battery). The Model 3 SR+ with the LFP battery probably wouldn't be eligible for the last $500 as the batteries are imported from China, but the proposed legislation could change or Tesla could source LFP batteries differently.

They have MSRP limits of $55k for cars, $69k for SUVs, and $74k for trucks. There are also income limits: $800k married filing jointly, $600k head of household, and $400k individual.

Last edited:
The version I've seen (https://docs.house.gov/meetings/RU/RU00/20211028/114202/BILLS-117117-17ih.pdf) shows a base $4,000 credit, with an additional $3,500 for cars with at least a 40 kwh battery and no more than 2.5 gallon gas tank, another $4,500 for "domestic assembly" using union labor, and $500 for vehicles with US-made batteries. So for many Teslas that would be $8,000 ($4k base, $3.5k for the big battery and no gas, and $0.5k for a US-made battery). The Model 3 SR+ with the LFP battery probably wouldn't be eligible for the last $500 as the batteries are imported from China, but the proposed legislation could change or Tesla could source LFP batteries differently.

They have MSRP limits of $55k for cars, $69k for SUVs, and $74k for trucks. There are also income limits: $800k married filing jointly, $600k head of household, and $400k individual.
Wow, those income brackets are..... really quite generous? Totally thought that they would be lower. Like, my wife and I making a combined 120k had me worried that we would be cut out of a credit on our Y (if this passes).

Wow, those income brackets are..... really quite generous? Totally thought that they would be lower. Like, my wife and I making a combined 120k had me worried that we would be cut out of a credit on our Y (if this passes).
Yeah I'm quite surprised by that too, the incomes limits seem to be at least double what you would expect. I was wondering if my wife and I would qualify as well, but as currently proposed we'd have no problem.

Took delivery on 9/27 and finally got my first software update today. 2021.36.5.5 (released from old software jail!)
Thank you guys for giving me a more realistic expectation. Next question, where do you find the size of the download before you start downloading it?
Slow internet at home...

Took delivery on 9/27 and finally got my first software update today. 2021.36.5.5 (released from old software jail!)
Thank you guys for giving me a more realistic expectation. Next question, where do you find the size of the download before you start downloading it?
Slow internet at home...
I don't think there is a way to show you? I've never seen one, anyway...

Some people have figured out the size of the downloads by monitoring their network. I don't think Tesla tells you the size anywhere.

When the car is downloading, it will sit there and keep trying until it's done. It won't tell you there is an update until it's done downloading it. I had a poor wifi signal in the garage at one point and it took a couple of days to download one update. I've since got the car connected to a more reliable signal.

• Informative
Reactions: paramer and jebinc
Who are you going with for tinting? And how much did you pay? I scheduled time with Advanced Tint in Renton to get mine tinted. Going with 3M ceramic. For my previous cars I have gone with TintXXpertz, but seem to have closed down their Renton location.

Who are you going with for tinting? And how much did you pay? I scheduled time with Advanced Tint in Renton to get mine tinted. Going with 3M ceramic. For my previous cars I have gone with TintXXpertz, but seem to have closed down their Renton location.

I use Advanced Tint, Renton Highlands. All around 3M ceramic IR tint in my Plaid ran me $500, out the door. All prices are listed on their web site.