Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pack Performance and Launch Mode Limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

Based on your input, we have decided to remove all software performance reductions tied to frequent max power usage. These changes will roll out with our next software update (in about three weeks).

We had put these reductions in place to proactively protect the powertrain from wear and tear. Instead, we will monitor the condition of the powertrain and let our customers know if service is needed so that we can take proactive steps, such as by replacing parts if necessary, to maintain the vehicle’s performance.

--Jon

Great, now a can upgrade to P100D.

Reactions: hostman
Hi everyone,

Based on your input, we have decided to remove all software performance reductions tied to frequent max power usage. These changes will roll out with our next software update (in about three weeks).

We had put these reductions in place to proactively protect the powertrain from wear and tear. Instead, we will monitor the condition of the powertrain and let our customers know if service is needed so that we can take proactive steps, such as by replacing parts if necessary, to maintain the vehicle’s performance.

--Jon
WOW!

Thank you Jon... This has got to be the best thing I've read in a while :)

Hi everyone,

--Jon

Thank you! I commend Tesla for actually listening to their customers!

Reactions: EinSV and hostman
Hi everyone,

--Jon

Excellent, that is the right thing to do. Thank you.

Hi everyone,

--Jon
@JonMc, Thanks.

I recently traded my P85D which had new rotors (on my dime!) at 30k miles and has been through 4 sets of tires on its way to 39k miles... for a P100D.

Kudos to everyone at Tesla that contributed to this course correction, and to those customers that provided a bit of a nudge.

Thank you @JonMc for resolving this. It makes me feel MUCH better about my purchase.

I too will be sure to do some "spirited driving" in celebration. I actually have NEVER tried launch mode or L+ mode yet, out of fear of invalidating my warranty or having a reduction in performance. I doubt I will launch the car more than a few times a year, but am glad I can do so without fear/guilt.

It is interesting to speculate when the decision to do something about this problem was actually made. My WAG is that comprehensive engineering, financial and executive review would take about three weeks. This thread started on December 15, a little less than 5 weeks ago. So counting back, by December 28th the wheels at Tesla were probably put in motion. Based on this speculation the first 41 pages of this thread were enough of an input for Tesla to initiate the review process.

Do correct me (anyone) if I'm wrong but the known timeline of this somewhere along the lines of this:

September:
- Tesla releases 8.0 firmware update, cutting the power.
- @Tech_Guy notices his power cut and contacts Tesla, starts process of getting it fixed (eventually response is counters).

December:
- @NSX1992 and @Ingineer take the topic public.
- @Tech_Guy follows and start posting in public. Initial info: counters incremented by launch mode use, P90DL affected.
- Tesla responds with an overarching disclaimer on Tesla.com. P100D also affected.
- Service centers start receiving a circular for guidance - limitations are normal operation.

January:
- Further info through SCs obtained: throttle down and rolling mashes also increment counters and can result in limitations.
- Other reports of limitations reach TMC and Electrek, at least 3-4 known cases. P85DL also affected.
- @JonMc posts on TMC states limitations will be removed, Tesla removes the disclaimer.

February:
- Limits will be removed?

I'm glad this issue got resolved. I'm happy for everyone here. People who have been in the TMC community for a while probably will agree this reminds a lot of when George Blankenship was still at Tesla.

It doesn't have to happen in public, but personally I would recommend Tesla have a bit of an internal flogging for all involved in the original decision to limit. No matter how high it goes. I mean, they should want their mommy level of flogging.

That said, this was the right thing to do and now forwards.

It doesn't have to happen in public, but personally I would recommend Tesla have a bit of an internal flogging for all involved in the original decision to limit. No matter how high it goes. I mean, they should want their mommy level of flogging.

Yeah but seriously, they have have bigger fish to fry, like getting Model 3 off the ground.

Glad this turned out well, but let's keep our eye on the ball..."accelerating the world's transition to sustainable energy."