Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Packed Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
come to northern Scotland, right now in the app availability is

inverness 6/6
Aviemore 4/4
Aberdeen 8/8
Dundee is busy, 6/8 :)

I did gretna a month back and had to wait 10 mins, only 4 there on a very busy route

If your in the Glasgow region then the ones at Eurocentral are great if you want a luxury lunch, it's in the car park of a nice hotel, opposite end of the scale to most supercharger locations.
I’m having a charmed visit to Scotland this year, on the way up Abington was showing full, but two cars (next to each other) left just as I arrived, by the time I came back there was a queue.
Went to Dundee at about 3pm today and avoided sharing again. It was busy as Tesla were doing test drives (fully booked all day apparently). The chap I spoke to was from Glasgow SC, he thought they would have v3 chargers there in December. He also thought there would a new SuC near John O’Groats, and that we would have Model Y from China by the end of year as well. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Teddy69
come to northern Scotland, right now in the app availability is

inverness 6/6
Aviemore 4/4
Aberdeen 8/8
Dundee is busy, 6/8 :)

I did gretna a month back and had to wait 10 mins, only 4 there on a very busy route

If your in the Glasgow region then the ones at Eurocentral are great if you want a luxury lunch, it's in the car park of a nice hotel, opposite end of the scale to most supercharger locations.

I've used Euro Central and Perth this week, both had loads of chargers free to use.

Didn't need to use Inverness and Aviemore becace the Charge Scotland app is working nice and I've noticed you can just use a debit card. Super simple. Some flat rate,some free! and some per kwh. Wish it was that simple in England

Reactions: Teddy69
I've used Euro Central and Perth this week, both had loads of chargers free to use.

Didn't need to use Inverness and Aviemore becace the Charge Scotland app is working nice and I've noticed you can just use a debit card. Super simple. Some flat rate,some free! and some per kwh. Wish it was that simple in England

The ChargePlaceScotland chargers have only recently changed ownership so that's interesting feedback (didn't used to allow debit card).

Did a run from Aberdeen to Guernsey with overnights Preston and Bridport (ferry from Poole and return to Portsmouth) in mid July to visit family over there and used the following chargers, none of which were even half full:
Edinburgh SC
Tebay
Hilton Park South
Gordano
Membury
Charnock Richard
Edinburgh SC

i travelled on weekdays with charging stops around comfort stops / coffee / lunch breaks so no early morning or late night charging. Maybe I was lucky but there was plenty of availability at all the chargers despite the roads being pretty busy.

The ChargePlaceScotland chargers have only recently changed ownership so that's interesting feedback (didn't used to allow debit card).

Yeah the app went up on Aug 2nd, I've singed up same day and used that a couple of times along with debit card auth. I've never had a RFID card from them!

The network struggled on the 3rd and wouldnt charge, but I phoned up and got a.message that it expected to work in 30 mins, 15 mins later it was working.

Super impressed.

For those who haven't ventured out much to the Tesla superchargers there are 4 types of user:
1. Model X user with free charging who spends the day charging to 100% because it's free.
2. New Model 3 user who didn't spend lockdown watching youtube videos on charging curves and so doesn't know that you don't charge to 100%
3. Outlander driver who doesn't know what day it is.
4. Smart TMC forum readers who arrive at 10% SOC and depart at 50% 8 minutes later having spent the time picking up litter carefully left by the red Model S driver with the personalised number plate. (You know who you are)
Be careful, we reserve the right to rename you Mr Jolly.

I rocked up at Rugby this lunchtime and nearly crashed when I saw there was only one charger free!
Just shows how it can vary, I charged there last Tuesday (at around 18:30) and I was the only Tesla charging, 3 others came and did a splash and dash during my charge, there were only a maximum of 3 or 4 of the Gridserve in use during my stay.
So, 16 of the available 24 (including Gridserve) in use at worst and 20 availability at best

Just back from a 1200 mile tour to Scotland last week via SuperChargers at Charnock Richard, Abington, Dundee, Edinburgh, Washington and Woodall. I was straight onto a charger every time and didn't even share load of the V2s.

In every case the chargers were far busier according to the car before we arrived, so perhaps we did got lucky and arrived just after people left. On the trip South yesterday on the A1M/M1 we could see it looked far busier on the M6 at Tebay, Gretna etc.

The queue for food at Woodall was the only real delay to our stops, had to go back and move the car as it had done charging before BurgerKing had flipped 2 burgers. The building was packed with the maskless.

Reactions: Alistairuk
Just back from a 1200 mile tour to Scotland last week via SuperChargers at Charnock Richard, Abington, Dundee, Edinburgh, Washington and Woodall. I was straight onto a charger every time and didn't even share load of the V2s.

In every case the chargers were far busier according to the car before we arrived, so perhaps we did got lucky and arrived just after people left. On the trip South yesterday on the A1M/M1 we could see it looked far busier on the M6 at Tebay, Gretna etc.

The queue for food at Woodall was the only real delay to our stops, had to go back and move the car as it had done charging before BurgerKing had flipped 2 burgers. The building was packed with the maskless.
Just did Oxford from Dundee this weekend. All superchargers on M6 at 60-80% occupancy both ways in England (Tebay, Charnock Richard, Keele), but just lucked out from having to share a v2 at any stage. A long weekend with a lonely charge for the final stretch at Eurocentral. A shout out to Westgate Shopping Centre in central Oxford with its 50 swarco 7kw charge points included in the parking price (just plug in and go). Expensive parking (not overly so for Oxford) but an free overnight 65kwh charge takes the sting out of the price. A godsend given the state of the rest of the Oxford charging infrastructure. Including the completely abandoned BP Pulse chargers. BP need to be named and shamed at full volume.

How much was the parking if you don't mind me asking. Have to make the trip to Oxford a few times a year, not done it yet in my M3
Oxford Westfield in the City Center is £35 for 24hrs, £8 at the Park and Ride if you like a rattly bus ride. Some of the P&R have Chargemaster 7KW chargers.

Sometime next year there will be a massive charging hub at one of the Park and Rides (Redbridge, just off the A34 on the South side), with Tesla, Fastned, and regular 7KW chargers for longer stays.

So why are the superchargers designed so the cables only reach a single car?

Given that the cable is locked to the car we don't have to worry about anyone unplugging during a charge. Wouldn't it be sensible to make it able to reach 2 car spaces. Then when one car has finished it could unlock the charge port so that someone could take the cable and plug it into the next car. Waiting fees could be waived unless both cars remain blocking the charger after finishing - following a notification to both drivers and the 5 minute grace period.

Efficient use of the existing superchargers and you don't have to interrupt your exquisite motorway services dining experience.

The way a supercharger is constructed there's really no advantage to halving the number of tombstones as you suggest.. they're plastic containers with the cable sticking out. The electronics is out of the way in a big (normally grey) cabinet.

They're already A/B paired to share power (although v3 are moving to dedicated supplies).