Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint defects Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been waiting a month and a half Ubering, Busing, walking and the day before i am to pick up my car they tell me it has a paint defect .I had an appointment made to have a full body wrap to protect the paint on Thursday. I cannot justify paying a new price for a repainted car. Am i wrong? This is a purchase not a lease.

Reactions: davidc18
Stick to your guns. If you are not happy do not take possession. Once the car is titled you own it and will lose your leverage. Don't get caught in the new purchase. Inspect every inch. I was sick when I pick mine up. I found a deep cratch and other minor stuff after I got home. They will try and take care of everything if documented up front. Insist on getting any agreements in writing. I was promised two years free service in lieu of $1000 referral. It took a while to get it straight. Fortunately I had emails

Regards

Stick to your guns. If you are not happy do not take possession. Once the car is titled you own it and will lose your leverage. Don't get caught in the new purchase. Inspect every inch. I was sick when I pick mine up. I found a deep cratch and other minor stuff after I got home. They will try and take care of everything if documented up front. Insist on getting any agreements in writing. I was promised two years free service in lieu of $1000 referral. It took a while to get it straight. Fortunately I had emails

Regards
Thanks Zero!!

I had a paint defect during delivery. I made sure to get a due bill for it, and brought the car in after about a month of ownership to have that taken care of as well as a few minor issues I noticed as I spent more time in the car.

I would do the same thing over again… I found Tesla did a fine job of fixing the paint defect, and I was happier to get the car. Of course, if there's more major issues, I'd probably have a different mentality. But maybe it's just the area where I live… I've filed about 1-2 claims per year due to door dings and paint scrapes from my work parking lot (usually hit and run incidents), I've come to accept the car is going to be repainted at some point during my course of ownership.

And the 3-4 times I've taken my previous cars in to get paint work done, it's always come back looking like new. I wouldn't sweat over paint defects.

Reactions: Snobun and mspohr
I have been waiting a month and a half Ubering, Busing, walking and the day before i am to pick up my car they tell me it has a paint defect .I had an appointment made to have a full body wrap to protect the paint on Thursday. I cannot justify paying a new price for a repainted car. Am i wrong? This is a purchase not a lease.
Overwatch, the same thing happened to me. I got a car with a damaged bumper that would need to get replaced. I took delivery with a work order to replace the bumper, drove it for a month till the bumper came in, then got it swapped out. Tesla gave me free all weather mats for this inconvenience. Don't be afraid to ask for something for your pain. Also, see if your body shop can wrap your entire car other than the damaged section, then wrap the damaged section when it gets fixed (if it will take awhile to get fixed). Or just have Tesla repaint the scratched section before taking delivery. If it's only a repaint and not a replacement of an exterior section, that's usually pretty quick. A few days tops. At least in my experience with Tesla, but only if you really speak up about your unhappiness. But def make sure to get a work order if you take delivery of it damaged. Tesla is good about filling their work orders, though they are slow with replacement parts, as other have indicated in other posts.

Ok thanks Scoopa, I'll see today what the remedy will be. My phone alert went off an hour ago reminding me of my vehicle pick up for today. I'm thinking I would rather have the repaint done first. But I'll see what their remedy is first.

Thanks Chillaban, I guess my expectations were so high that this kind of deflated my spirit a bit.
Your expectations should be high— clearly at this price point there are many luxury vehicle options and you want to see the value of your dollar. Obviously, this does not mean your expectations they should be unreasonable— but, that does not seem the case as it It sounds like the QA team found the issue themselves and are working it for you.

As others have said – just get a clear remediation action plan with dates and make sure it’s in writing.
Keep it friendly, but feel free to express your disappointment and challenge concerning the down time without the vehical and the missed wrapping appointment.

All-in-all, I’m sure they will make it right with you. Keep us informed (we love photos) and good luck! :)

They are trying to make it right, they gave me a MS loaner and I haven't accepted the car yet. they said after repairs are done i can accept or not. I spoke to the body shop and they are the authorized shop for Rolls and Bentley and he said you wont even know i was here. so i anticipate a flawless repair. Tesla offered me the first yearly service free so i feel better about the situation now,Thanks Ski for your input!! I am getting solid black on black and i have purchased the Black arachnids from one of the members here so im ready to go...lol

They are trying to make it right, they gave me a MS loaner and I haven't accepted the car yet. they said after repairs are done i can accept or not. I spoke to the body shop and they are the authorized shop for Rolls and Bentley and he said you wont even know i was here. so i anticipate a flawless repair. Tesla offered me the first yearly service free so i feel better about the situation now,Thanks Ski for your input!! I am getting solid black on black and i have purchased the Black arachnids from one of the members here so im ready to go...lol
Tesla delivery center finally get the car back after a week of repairs only to find more paint defects.. is Tesla's inspection team and quality control this poor on a regular basis? I had to cancel my paid slot for a full body wrap for the second time. Both times I was made a aware of the defects the day before I was to take delivery .

• Helpful
Tesla delivery center finally get the car back after a week of repairs only to find more paint defects.. is Tesla's inspection team and quality control this poor on a regular basis? I had to cancel my paid slot for a full body wrap for the second time. Both times I was made a aware of the defects the day before I was to take delivery .
Sorry to hear, Overwatch. Similar thing happened to me. The only plus to this is that you can now use this to ask for more. A little hint if you'd like one . . . see if you can get perks from them that add value to you but don't necessarily cost them anything. Such as see if you can get a free extended warranty, or have them add fully autonomous (if you don't already have it). Things like that don't necessarily cost them money, but make for happy formerly disgruntled clients. Let us know what happens!

Reactions: davidc18 and Ski_
They are building me a new car...moved it up in que first service free and giving me a loaner while its being built. I can't say its the Tesla experience i dreamed of but 2.5 mos later i'm hoping to at least have the car i dreamed of.
that's very nice to hear, it looks like that resolved quickly. When I asked a rebuilt, it took months to get an answer and rejected in the end.(i'll post an update once the case completely closed)

Well I was alerted my 2nd MS has Arrived and 7:45 the night before I am to take delivery I get a call from my delivery advisor that he car is the most beautiful car he's seen...except for the dent and paint chip the found...I've been waiting for almost 3 months now, why can't tesla get it right.

Well I was alerted my 2nd MS has Arrived and 7:45 the night before I am to take delivery I get a call from my delivery advisor that he car is the most beautiful car he's seen...except for the dent and paint chip the found...I've been waiting for almost 3 months now, why can't tesla get it right.
Tesla should just let their buyers know when the car is in deliverable condition. I'm sure that if they waited a week or so till they fixed issues then called their buyer to say the car was in, that'd be better than getting us all excited only to say there are issues. Odd way of doing business.

Tesla should just let their buyers know when the car is in deliverable condition. I'm sure that if they waited a week or so till they fixed issues then called their buyer to say the car was in, that'd be better than getting us all excited only to say there are issues. Odd way of doing business.

Unfortunately everything is based on quarter numbers and they do all these orders last month of quarter. So if they did the right thing and did this, they probably wouldn't make delivery by end of quarter.

Reactions: Scoopa and xborg
I had a paint defect during delivery. I made sure to get a due bill for it, and brought the car in after about a month of ownership to have that taken care of as well as a few minor issues I noticed as I spent more time in the car.

I would do the same thing over again… I found Tesla did a fine job of fixing the paint defect, and I was happier to get the car. Of course, if there's more major issues, I'd probably have a different mentality. But maybe it's just the area where I live… I've filed about 1-2 claims per year due to door dings and paint scrapes from my work parking lot (usually hit and run incidents), I've come to accept the car is going to be repainted at some point during my course of ownership.

And the 3-4 times I've taken my previous cars in to get paint work done, it's always come back looking like new. I wouldn't sweat over paint defects.

Why don’t you buy a full body clear bra? No need to accept that as your reality. If you are running into those problems often it seems to make more sense.

Or at least clear bra your doors. Not that expensive.

Why don’t you buy a full body clear bra? No need to accept that as your reality. If you are running into those problems often it seems to make more sense.

Or at least clear bra your doors. Not that expensive.

Because I'd need to have my car hit around 10-20 times before the insurance costs negate the cost of a full body clear coat.

Plus I'm not sure that a clear bra can prevent door dings that dent the sheet metal or cause substantial body damage, which is basically every 2nd or 3rd incident.

Unless you can put metal spikes on the car, I'm not sure there's a solution to that in a state that refuses to investigate no-injury hit and run incidents even with camera footage.

• Funny
Because I'd need to have my car hit around 10-20 times before the insurance costs negate the cost of a full body clear coat.

Plus I'm not sure that a clear bra can prevent door dings that dent the sheet metal or cause substantial body damage, which is basically every 2nd or 3rd incident.

Unless you can put metal spikes on the car, I'm not sure there's a solution to that in a state that refuses to investigate no-injury hit and run incidents even with camera footage.
I put a partial XPEL wrap on my car (the front and hood), with some small choice spots as well by the trunk and doors. It was about $1,500, but I feel soooo much more confident driving it and not worrying that a little pebble on the highway is going to ruin my day.