Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint defects on new model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hydro 481

Sep 4, 2017
USA
Went to pick up my White Model 3 today and did a thorough inspection. Unfortunately I found 2 areas where the paint was chipped and one area where it looks like it’s bubbling. They’re not bad but still noticeable up close. Also found a small red stain on the white seat and whoever drove the car left their profile in the bluetooth settings. Not gonna lie I am a bit disappointed in Tesla after spending 70K on the car. But maybe I’m nitpicking? How common is it to find minor defects on the exterior?

The rep who helped me did agree that I should bring it to their service center to get it fixed. She said they might have to repaint the whole panel. Ugh...I hope not cuz I really enjoy driving the car.

My 2017 model S came with a crack in the B-pillar on the inside, a faulty door handle and a passenger speaker that vibrated when there was a deep bass note. Getting it fixed was a mess and a half needing me to make multiple attempts at getting an appointment and having send in pictures to people 4 times. Don't expect good craftsmanship or good service from Tesla

*issues that came after mirror stopped unfolding, squeaks and pops coming from the headliner, dash board and passenger door and yellowing of the boarder on the MCU*

My 2017 model S came with a crack in the B-pillar on the inside, a faulty door handle and a passenger speaker that vibrated when there was a deep bass note. Getting it fixed was a mess and a half needing me to make multiple attempts at getting an appointment and having send in pictures to people 4 times. Don't expect good craftsmanship or good service from Tesla

*issues that came after mirror stopped unfolding, squeaks and pops coming from the headliner, dash board and passenger door and yellowing of the boarder on the MCU*

Which location do you deal with?

There are thousands (ok not really thousands but definitely a few) threads on minor interior/exterior issues. Welcome to the Tesla experience. There is a rainbow at the end of the road though in that the service center will take care of whatever issues your car may have. At least that’s been my experience so far.

Went to pick up my White Model 3 today and did a thorough inspection. Unfortunately I found 2 areas where the paint was chipped and one area where it looks like it’s bubbling. They’re not bad but still noticeable up close. Also found a small red stain on the white seat and whoever drove the car left their profile in the bluetooth settings. Not gonna lie I am a bit disappointed in Tesla after spending 70K on the car. But maybe I’m nitpicking? How common is it to find minor defects on the exterior?

The rep who helped me did agree that I should bring it to their service center to get it fixed. She said they might have to repaint the whole panel. Ugh...I hope not cuz I really enjoy driving the car.

It's okay to reject the car, I've been through something similar and some others too :

Well, I Rejected my White P3D-

Reactions: Glamisduner
Rejecting the car actually will save Tesla money. When you accept a car that requires body work (e.g. any paint work, and any scratch), Tesla basically accomplishes a delivery (triggers revenue), but in long run loses money (service center overhead, 3rd party Tesla approved shop, and $1300 rental of a Model S for 2 weeks. I think Tesla spent $2000-$3000 in total to remedy two small scratches. I consumed paid hours for this too.

Rejecting the car actually will save Tesla money. When you accept a car that requires body work (e.g. any paint work, and any scratch), Tesla basically accomplishes a delivery (triggers revenue), but in long run loses money (service center overhead, 3rd party Tesla approved shop, and $1300 rental of a Model S for 2 weeks. I think Tesla spent $2000-$3000 in total to remedy two small scratches. I consumed paid hours for this too.
Difficult to say, if you accept the car that triggers a recognized revenue for their financial statements so this is important for investor confidence and stock price.
When you reject, they have to transport the car and get it reassigned to another buyer. This process can be quite expensive depending on where it is reassigned and how efficient they can move it around.
So it's difficult to estimate which one is better of for them TBH, I'd like to think that they have someone who did this calculation and for them it is probably a game of probabilities.
They most likely estimated that fixing a portion of cars costs less than causing delays in production plus a few clients rejecting. However the more people reject the more this equation balances the other way