Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Issues at Delivery - Worth it to Repaint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dread my delivery tomorrow...if it happens. Nothing like moving money to cover something that you might reject, and based on this thread, I'll reject the car and move the money back. I'm not going to do my S experience all over (wife in tears 45 minutes after delivery).

So much for the new way of buying a car.

Reactions: C141medic
I dread my delivery tomorrow...if it happens. Nothing like moving money to cover something that you might reject, and based on this thread, I'll reject the car and move the money back. I'm not going to do my S experience all over (wife in tears 45 minutes after delivery).

So much for the new way of buying a car.

Don't dread it just be aware, and IMO side on rejecting the car if there is something that really bothers you (hopefully not a handful of paint nibs or fish eyes alone). I wish I rejected my second car! I would have gotten a $5000 upgrade package and $500 off white seats too, thats enough to have been able to keep my chevy volt and gotten the same car, but YMMV.

If they will need to repair a bunch of things and or fix the paint, get a fixed date. They told me probably a week, but I htink that means a month elon time, and then in the meantime you get to watch the price of your car drop 1000's per day while it's not even in satisfactory condition.

When in doubt reject it don't be tempted to buy it anyways, don't listen to associates tell you no big deal. You have waited a LONG time fot it it needs to be satisfactory (i'd say perfect but I think that is not possible) Thats my lesson anyways. I don't think I will ever be happy with my car at this point, but I do hope you are.

On the other hand....don't worry too much, both times I checked out 2-3 other model 3's and they were perfect. Only mine seemed to have issues. Tesla hates me.

In CA, if they screw it up too many times, or keep the car too long they have to buy the car back from you as a lemon.

So you’re okay with not getting whatever is wrong with your brand new car not addressed? I understand that sh*t happens after you’ve owned your car awhile but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to have a brand new car delivered to you without any defects whether they’re mechanical or body/paint related and expect to have them repaired in an appropriate manner.

I attempted to have a scratched chrome piece replaced. I was ignoring 3 paint chips and a scratch to avoid repainting panels.

Replacing the chrome trim they bent the panel next to it. Tried PDR. Went to body shop. Repainted. Doesn't look as good as OEM paint. Now panel gaps are also off. I'm done trying to fix little problems and turn them into medium problems, for fear of creating huge problems. Tesla learnt me my lesson.

So yes, in retrospect, I should have taken what was essentially a pristine CPO/used car delivered as new and lived with it.

Reactions: super20g
On the other hand....don't worry too much, both times I checked out 2-3 other model 3's and they were perfect. Only mine seemed to have issues. Tesla hates me.

Guy here who runs a wrap shop has never seen a "perfect" tesla paint wise. He has paint corrected and wrapped 100s of them at this point.

I think what most people on this board are calling "perfect" is really just "good enough for me." Which is totally valid, and probably what most people do with most car brands.

Reactions: Glamisduner
Guy here who runs a wrap shop has never seen a "perfect" tesla paint wise. He has paint corrected and wrapped 100s of them at this point.

I think what most people on this board are calling "perfect" is really just "good enough for me." Which is totally valid, and probably what most people do with most car brands.
To be honest, i didn't look them over that close (not as close as my own) but their panels, roof, and taillights looked good and they didn't have any problems closing their doors when people picked them up. So much better than my second car but still not perfect perhaps.

To be honest, i didn't look them over that close (not as close as my own) but their panels, roof, and taillights looked good and they didn't have any problems closing their doors when people picked them up. So much better than my second car but still not perfect perhaps.

Ah I see what you mean. Yes, when I picked up my car, one of the reasons I accepted delivery is that the gaps were good, trunk, doors, frunk etc all functioned as expected. Glass roof looked good (although I missed some weird etching in the rear glass that is only visible in sunlight) and the interior was perfect.

Reactions: Glamisduner
Ah I see what you mean. Yes, when I picked up my car, one of the reasons I accepted delivery is that the gaps were good, trunk, doors, frunk etc all functioned as expected. Glass roof looked good (although I missed some weird etching in the rear glass that is only visible in sunlight) and the interior was perfect.
my first car nailed all those things too they just wanted to repaint 5 panels at the body shop...

Second car only needs 3 panels repainted in less conspicuous areas. And they said there panels and doors could be adjusted no problem but that's been delayed and in the meantime Tesla added the PUP got free so i would have gotten a pretty big upgrade by not listening to the delivery manager and service advisor.

So definitely side on rejecting a car that has issues, and ignore the workers. But both times I went, my wife and i seemed to be the only unhappy people there. So not everyone gets a crappy car.

Insane that you have to check the paint upon new car delivery after all these years. Where is the pride in the paint shop & QC. Perhaps someone needs some courage to tell Elon the truth or possibly change the process.
I wonder if they made less cars with better paint would they make less or more money.
i.e. skip all the costly/timely/bad-PR paint issues. Perhaps they could charge more too.

Reactions: C141medic
I attempted to have a scratched chrome piece replaced. I was ignoring 3 paint chips and a scratch to avoid repainting panels.

Replacing the chrome trim they bent the panel next to it. Tried PDR. Went to body shop. Repainted. Doesn't look as good as OEM paint. Now panel gaps are also off. I'm done trying to fix little problems and turn them into medium problems, for fear of creating huge problems. Tesla learnt me my lesson.

So yes, in retrospect, I should have taken what was essentially a pristine CPO/used car delivered as new and lived with it.
I guess to each his own. Afaik, I’d hold the SC accountable for any damage that occurred while in their possession and have it fixed to my satisfaction or have them compensate me in some manner if they’re unable to correctly take care of the issue. I’m not expecting a “perfect” vehicle however no one should accept poor workmanship whether you paid $100 or 60K+ for an item.

Reactions: super20g
I guess to each his own. Afaik, I’d hold the SC accountable for any damage that occurred while in their possession and have it fixed to my satisfaction or have them compensate me in some manner if they’re unable to correctly take care of the issue. I’m not expecting a “perfect” vehicle however no one should accept poor workmanship whether you paid $100 or 60K+ for an item.

Yeah, I hear you, but at this point I've had the car a month, driven 200 miles, and to be honest my time is just worth more than the damage they are attempting to repair.

Yeah, I hear you, but at this point I've had the car a month, driven 200 miles, and to be honest my time is just worth more than the damage they are attempting to repair.
I’ve had mine since September 17 and have only 271 miles on it. My time is valuable as well and I agree sometimes it’s easier just to dismiss these issues but as other’s have said if we don’t hold Tesla accountable, they have no reason or incentive to improve their product and service. Definitely not a good experience so far for a first time Tesla owner like myself but I remain hopeful.

This body shop debacle might explain why Tesla is bringing bodywork in house.

I bet it costs them a lot to out source it and they cant control the quality so its definitely beneficial to bring in house. I wish so many of these cars didn't have to go right to the body shop in the first place... Really messes up the new car experience to hand it right off and gain additional wear and tear in the process which is inevitable during the repair process.

Right there with you. I just sent an email to service with pictures of each item that was damaged during the service appointment. I left small stuff off because it just seemed too nit picky even though the damage wasn't present prior. There were quite a few tool marks added to plastic parts, the piano black was cleaned with something that both scratched it and burned the finish to a matte finish in areas, door panels scuffed when being removed to replace the glass they damaged, etc.

Also renamed my car 'Within Spec' ;) since that's what they kept telling me when I picked it up, even when compared to the cars right next to it.

Still love the car though... just not what has been done to it.

Last edited:
I’m debating my car going back to paint shop. I had a paint chip when I got it back. I had it for a month or so more and got two more that are much smaller on the front hood. Idk if it’s worth fixing because if I do, I’m paying $1700 for PPF. I doubt they’ll give me a credit for service. There is a Tesla body shop in town but not sure if they are the ones doing the painting.

I’m debating my car going back to paint shop. I had a paint chip when I got it back. I had it for a month or so more and got two more that are much smaller on the front hood. Idk if it’s worth fixing because if I do, I’m paying $1700 for PPF. I doubt they’ll give me a credit for service. There is a Tesla body shop in town but not sure if they are the ones doing the painting.

I decided to get the hood repainted since the winters are harsh. However does it make sense that they would apply the Tesla emblem back on after repainting the hood? I’d figure you would want it have to wait for the paint to cure, etc.

Reading every post pertaining to paint, fit and finish ..... there has been fewer post this past week.
I had hoped that meant that there was an improvement? Maybe not so?

I saw my first M3 up close yesterday at McDonalds and was able to walk around it and look closely at the paint and finish. It appeared absolutely beautiful. Without being accusatory, I wonder if some owners are not too picky. That said however ........ we have seen pictures of some really bad paint and fitness issues, especially areas where paint was not even applied.

Reading every post pertaining to paint, fit and finish ..... there has been fewer post this past week.

I saw my first M3 up close yesterday at McDonalds and was able to walk around it and look closely at the paint and finish. It appeared absolutely beautiful. Without being accusatory, I wonder if some owners are not too picky. That said however ........ we have seen pictures of some really bad paint and fitness issues, especially areas where paint was not even applied.
other than the pictures in this forum, and the two models 3s that were to be delivered to me the paint has looked pretty good in all the other ones I have seen. There are issues out there for sure.

Reactions: Stirfelt

I have walked around Model 3s at the delivery & service center and seen ones that are new and are there for paint/body re-work. I've seen them marked up with painter's tape and it's clear they have quite a few finish problems such as paint that doesn't go to edges, large fish-eyes on the clear-coat, etc.

I'm sure that Tesla is making small improvements to their processes, but I'm now of the opinion that the only thing that's going to "fix" the paint problems Tesla is dealing with is to hire some new engineers from a competitor that are experts in this area and spend the needed money to fix the paint shop in Fremont... even if that means burning that paint shop to the ground and starting over.

I don't have the information in front of me but Elon Musk has, a few times, retweeted the tweets of a proud Tesla employee who periodically comments on how great the paint shop is running and how much volume they are doing. Maybe instead of the self-congratulatory re-tweets that Musk is doing he should be looking at how much Tesla is spending on paint re-work from the factory and how those problems continue to happen to the extent they are.

Reactions: Stirfelt

It's a self-fulfilling feedback loop. In reality no manufacturers have perfect paint, and if you think they do you haven't looked closely enough. That's not to say there aren't legit issues, but the fact is everyone here is hyper focused on issues because of the forum discussions.

Even supercars need paint correction from factory if you're OCD enough. Here's the paint on a brand new $1.7M Porsche 918 Spyder.

Porsche 918 Spyder Project: Inspection, Wash Process, Paint Correction, Clear Bra Template Creation (Part 1) | Ask a Pro Blog