Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

painting fascia boards covered by solar roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the process of painting the exterior of the house that currently has solar roof installed approx. 2 years ago.
  1. Are there an roof anchor points on the solar roof where the painter can safely secure himself? If not, what are other options?
  2. There are aluminum flashings around the edges of the roof and I am not sure if the aluminum flashings can be easily removed. How does one paint the wood facia boards that are covered by the flashings? Or do you only paint the exposed wood fascia boards?

IMG-0634.jpg
IMG-0635.jpg

1. Are there an roof anchor points on the solar roof where the painter can safely secure himself? If not, what are other options?
No anchor points. They removed them when they finished. Your painter would have to install new ones. Is the only place what you showed? I am sure the painter could come up with something for that small area. Otherwise maybe a roofing company can help.
  1. There are aluminum flashings around the edges of the roof and I am not sure if the aluminum flashings can be easily removed. How does one paint the wood facia boards that are covered by the flashings? Or do you only paint the exposed wood fascia boards?
Mine is this way too. See attached photo. I would leave the metal flashing under the shingles natural as it is now and just paint the wood. If you paint the flashing (I think it's galvanized) then expect it to peel in a few years.

2) you're not worried about airball = broken azz tile?
What exactly do you mean?

Attachments

• IMG_1685.JPG
    IMG_1685.JPG
    300.9 KB · Views: 131
Upvote 0
No anchor points. They removed them when they finished. Your painter would have to install new ones. Is the only place what you showed? I am sure the painter could come up with something for that small area. Otherwise maybe a roofing company can help.

Mine is this way too. See attached photo. I would leave the metal flashing under the shingles natural as it is now and just paint the wood. If you paint the flashing (I think it's galvanized) then expect it to peel in a few years.

What exactly do you mean?

Basketball hoop on his house.

Reactions: aesculus
Upvote 0
Basketball hoop on his house.
A solar roof tile is really strong. When they installed them I asked the guys about their strength and a 230+ pound guy jumped up and down on the one he just installed and said "no worries". I have one they signed for display and looking at it I believe him. It is much tougher than the roofing tiles that were ripped off and replaced with the solar roof.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Upvote 0
A solar roof tile is really strong. When they installed them I asked the guys about their strength and a 230+ pound guy jumped up and down on the one he just installed and said "no worries". I have one they signed for display and looking at it I believe him. It is much tougher than the roofing tiles that were ripped off and replaced with the solar roof.
Glass is amazing and tough material on the face of it and with the proper edge protection. Even tough glass is relatively fragile on the edges.

I have literally taken a 16 oz claw hammer to the face of heat treated glass and was unable to break it with all my considerable might. Meanwhile, a tiny tap on the edge with the same hammer results in the total shattering of the crystalline structure..

Upvote 0
Glass is amazing and tough material on the face of it and with the proper edge protection. Even tough glass is relatively fragile on the edges.

I have literally taken a 16 oz claw hammer to the face of heat treated glass and was unable to break it with all my considerable might. Meanwhile, a tiny tap on the edge with the same hammer results in the total shattering of the crystalline structure..
Makes sense. Gutters came with our installation, so if we had a basketball net, I assume that an errant ball would hit on the top of the tiles versus the edge. And I wonder if other shingle material handles edge on and under basketballs well. I guess the best thing is a big backboard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The solar roof tiles are very slippery when new. During installation one of the crew members slipped and sent 1/2 a rack of tiles off the roof as he grabbed onto the nearest installation rack. Thankfully the harness kept him on the roof. The tiles ended up hitting our wooden deck on edge which meant months of finding little glass fragments after they all shattered.
After a year and a half of exposure to weather they are not that slick anymore. For this past Fall's gutter clearing of leaves I was able to walk around with a leaf blower with normal shoes without ever feeling any traction loss. It's not as tacky as walking on an asphalt roof but certainly not slick. Caveat that our roof is not that steep and I wouldn't ask any other person/contractor to go without a harness.

Reactions: jboy210
Upvote 0

I want to see a bollard made out of tesla solar roof tiles... maximum safety and it'd look pretty badass.

Upvote 0
@tisl427 I just noticed your aluminum flashings are silver. Was that an option or just the only option? I ask because my flashings are black and that was the only option I knew of.
I am pretty sure they are galvanized steel, which is common. Never was asked about a choice.

FWIW I have galvanized steel flashing before so maybe they just thought it should be the same or that was their default solution. I really don't like the flashing they installed as it juts out way beyond the facia boards.

Upvote 0
When I had my solar roof install Tesla crew spray paint it black to match the rest of the house. It does come as unfinished steel color and can match your preference. To the original question, you would need to have your painters paint over the metal as it cannot be remove.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@tisl427 I just noticed your aluminum flashings are silver. Was that an option or just the only option? I ask because my flashings are black and that was the only option I knew of.

The silver aluminum flashings was the only option when I installed the Tesla solar roof back on early 2021. I believe the black flashings look much better to blend in with the solar tiles. Thanks!

Reactions: jboy210
Upvote 0