Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano roof brackets broken! Tesla won't repair due to salvage vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s exactly what I do, I reject the update each time I get in the car. I wish the nag screen would go away, but I constantly get notifications that there is a new update to install, even though I am not connected to WiFi.

I had cancer surgery a little over 2 years ago. I am traveling extensively seeing the US while I am still able to. Thus, I rely on the use of the Supercharger network. Several early model year owners had issues not being able to charge on first generation Superchargers after they updated their cars to version 9 software. Since I do not want to get stranded somewhere due to a Supercharger issue, I have stayed on version 8.1, which works without problem.

As to there bring a safety issue by not updating, I respectfully disagree with your assertion. I have had my car serviced three times in the last 6 months; once for a screen replacement (due to yellow banding around the perimeter) in Tennessee; once for a driver’s door handle replacement in Florida; and for the annual maintenance in Maryland. I specifically asked each time whether any updates were issued for safety related matters and was assured that the updates (since the version 8.1 existing on my car) were only directed to features, such as the Atari games, fart sounds and autopilot enhancements (which I don’t have on my car). Each time, the Tesla service people told me I can stay on version 8.1 with no adverse effects.

Im so sorry to hear of your condition may Allah make it easy on you :(

I guess after all updating isnt a problem for me :) thank you for shedding light on this issue and sharing , spend as much as time as possible with friends and family. Take my friend

Exactly. I reject it until it stops asking me to update. I'm still on V8, and will not go to V9 until I have to, buy having to have the car worked on. V9 Is a downgrade for AP1 cars, thru a loss of functionality.

This makes sense and I actually believe it ! to be honest. Its like how apple sends out updates, not all are in your best interest , unfortunately the way the world is , these companies do this purposely so you are tempted to upgrade. IMO Tesla is seizing this problem with the human that apple has already taken advantage! "forcing people to upgrade"

When I was in Dubai I met this engineer who worked for Samsung, he told me that he and his mates created similar to patch / malware viruses and purposely sent them out as updates to wreak havoc on peoples phone batteries and then phone would freeze and become unresponsive , in effect "forcing customers to upgrade" and he worked for Samsung, his mates also worked for apple, and they aren't just like your level 1 or 2 engineers, these guys were the backdoor engineers , they holidaying in Dubai I guess they must be making some coin. Sad how the worlds sitting back not challenging it, realistically if I was to go all the way to the court i would get my way , but to me it just isnt worth the headache and time, not all battles are worth fighting, especially if something so trivial

I'm a bit late to this thread but I have owned a 2015 Model S that I purchased used in the summer of 2016 that is still under warranty. I know this because Tesla has made several warranty repairs on my vehicle as recently as changing the entire battery (late Feb/early March 2019) at their suggestion totally as a precautionary measure based on remote diagnostics that they ran. In may, the brackets in the pano roof snapped (simply when I pushed the button to open and then close once I realized something was wrong) and the roof would not close. I immediately scheduled an appointment that same evening to take the car in for repair. After 6 weeks of the run around, they are saying that it is impossible for those brackets to snap from the mechanical pressure of the motor and an outside force would have had to be applied to snap them. The car has 25k miles, and outside of a valet driver, no there person has driven the car. The car is in pristine condition and has never been wrecked. I am about to file a grievance under the warranty, but I want to know if anyone has had this happen to their Model S and have they experienced any issues with Tesla refusing to honor the warranty for this problem. While this is not an option, they say that they will repair it but it will cost me 4k. Again, this is not even a remote option but just wanted to add so you understand how absurd this sounds.

Man I loved reading this whole thread (and the Aussie thread about this car) from beginning to end, although DARK_VADAR's wall o text responses were impossible to read.

I especially loved the random selfies the guy posted... I'll be honest he looked exactly the way I expected him to.

I love the internet so much, I can cry.

• Funny
Reactions: commasign and Vegas