Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pano roof or no?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pros:
Looks nice
Less area to wax (glass is easier)
Opens up the car a bit
Light, esp. if you get dark interior.
It's nice to be able to open it, fresh air is super nice.​

Cons:
Noisier (although I don't think with Pano is "noisy")
In summer, you do feel the heat from the sun, not bothersome, but it's there. The shade that Tesla sells helps, but I didn't want to put a shade.
You'll spend more on AC/Heat energy viz. But I never drive range to 0 for sport, so not an issue for me.
$2500 more.
Possibly another something that could break
Overall, I got pano roof, and I like it.

My 2013 S85--no pano. Not my taste/never open it. Don't miss it (...but I have the original light fabric headliner).
Wife's 2015 S70D (color palette below). Got the pano to add airiness since the car is 'triple black'. She never opens a sunroof either....

Got the pano roof based on advice since helps with more headroom. Backseat passengers seem to like it. Used to not open sun roofs. Now I do. Allows for option for Whisper bar I think though I don't have them. Considering racks to mount bikes. Overall glad I got the pano roof. Dark enough not to really need extra shades here in Nor Cal.

• Informative
Reactions: Soundchasr
It will help you on resale value and it really opens the car up. If you look on eBay right now there are 3 P85D's without PANO and no one is buying at the prices they are asking and they have been on for several months.

On a $100K car you almost expect a sunroof...

image.png

I think you need to just go with your own opinion on this one. If you are unsure, try to find one with and one without that you can look at in person. Opinions vary quite a bit on this. Some think it's better without, while others wouldn't even consider buying one without, myself included.

For me, I think having the glass roof is just totally awesome. The fact that it opens up makes it even better. The opening is quite generous as well; larger than most sun roofs. It looks good, inside and out. It's just super sexy and I wouldn't buy one without it. That all said, the next poster will probably tell you it's not Scottish.

• Informative
All our cars have Sunroofs. They all make a woofing sound when open 75-100% Have to crack the rear window to equalize the pressure to remove the sound. I do like the Sunroofs and was going to get it on the MS, when I took the MS for a ride it was the same noise. Sales rep said not to open the sunroof 100% when driving. I asked for a 25% discount since I was only functional up to 75%. I ordered the MS with no sunroof. Delivery TOMORROW!!!

When I first configured the car, I didn't include the pano. However, after having the car for a full day on an extended test drive, I changed my mind. My wife commented that she really liked the car with the pano; it really opened the car for the back seat passengers (not that I care, I'm driving), but it also was relatively quiet at 45 mph and below. It won't work at freeway speeds, and at least 6-7 months a year here in Houston, but I think it will be great the rest of the time.

One other thing - it appears from the comments here in a number of threads that the leaking and poor fit have been rectified, at least I holpe so.

• Helpful
Opinion from the Perch: Do what you feel most comfortable with based upon all these comments and your test drive(s). If you have the money, go for it. As for me, we have test driven both styles with no negative comments for both. As a way to test having one, I have pulled open the shutter on the sunroofs on both of our vehicles just to see how we reacted considering we never open them now. Each time I return to the vehicle I notice that my wife has closed them. I think that simple little study has pointed us in the direction we will be heading.

I think the roof is really special, and I now notice how small they are on some other cars, and when they actually are as panoramic as the MS's.

I got the panoramic roof because it was necessary for satellite radio... which I never bothered with since the app streaming is now higher quality than the satellite broadcast. But I am so happy I "forced" myself to get the UHF and the pano roof as I am very very happy with both.

I start opening mine at / around the freezing point, well, once it is de-iced that is :) I could swear my hair lightened up with the sun and in the summer my face / arms now tan all over instead of the driver-side "trucker tan" I used to always get -- I open windows and the roof and turn off A/C whenever possible. As a fan of nature I love it !

Reactions: Beryl
Sun roofs add weight at the worst possible location from a performance stand point.
The Tesla double size glass roof adds 100-150 lbs of weight at the highest point of the car, while many high performance cars like BMW-M series delete the sun roof and use a carbon fiber roof. Something to consider if you order a P90D and you are paying for every 1/10th of a second.

• Informative
Reactions: Lex